‘Army Revolt Put Down In Cuba’
(N.Z.P.A.- Reuter—Copyright)
MIAMI, April 13.
Cuba had put down an Army revolt and arrested 350 officers and soldiers, a former Cuban officer claimed last night.
He said “at least” 100 civilian officials also had been arrested as alleged plotters. The officer, Manuel Toranzo Vega, escaped from Cuba with 19 other refugees a week ago. He told of the alleged abortive revolt in a statement issued by an’ American anti- ' Castro organisation, the Citizens’ Committee for i Free Cuba. The committee called the
revolt the “most extensive military plot" uncovered since Dr. Castro came to power in 1959. The revolt is alleged to have been attempted three weeks ago. Vega said the plotters had been stationed in Cuba’s western army region which takes in Havana and Pinar and Pinar del Rio Provinces. The statement continued: “Orders were given to put Russian-trained Cuban youths in positions held by the arrested officers. “Thousands of Cubans have been trained and indoctrinated in schools in Russia and Czechoslovakia.” Vega was quoted as reporting that those arrested “were the men the Communists suspected of disloyalty.” The committee said it had “confirmed reports” that more than 200 soldiers and civilians bad been gaoled. United Press International reported. “More than 100 of those arrested ranged from corporals and sergeants to lieutenants and captains,” a spokesman said. The report came less than a week after Dr. Castro announced the smashing of a so-called “spy ring” with the execution of a high-ranking customs official i.’ Havana and the arrest of 53 people, including two American Baptist ministers. The ministers are Dr. Herbert Caudill, aged 61, and his son-in-law, James David Fite, aged 31.
Permanent link to this item
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19650414.2.170
Bibliographic details
Press, Volume CIV, Issue 30725, 14 April 1965, Page 17
Word Count
279
‘Army Revolt Put Down In Cuba’
Press, Volume CIV, Issue 30725, 14 April 1965, Page 17
Stuff Ltd is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 New Zealand licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Stuff Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries.