Matuhi masthead

1903-1906


Available issues

September
S M T W T F S
30 31 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
October
S M T W T F S
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
December
S M T W T F S
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2

Background

Region Wellington
Available online 1903-1906
Alternative title(s) Wairarapa Matuhi Press

Matuhi (or the Wairarapa Matuhi Press) was a weekly Māori-language newspaper which began publication in Masterton on 2 September 1903.

Taiāwhio Te Tau, a prominent figure in the Church of the Seven Rules of Jehovah and the Rongokako Māori Council, was closely involved with the newspaper. The activities of both the Church and the Rongokako Council were given extensive coverage in Matuhi, although local, national and international news were also covered.

Matuhi was edited by Taiāwhio’s wife, Pani, until Wainohu Te Huki took over the role in July 1905.

Financial difficulties resulted in the demise of Matuhi, with the last issue appearing on 16 April 1906.

Based on information from S Chrisp, ‘The Tribal Society of the Wairarapa Newspapers’ in Rere Atu, Taku Manu! edited by J Curnow, N Hopa and J McRae (Auckland: Auckland University Press, 2002), pp. 193–210.

Working