The Celebration at Rangiora.
The programme of the evening's proceedings opened with. ILLUMINATION AND FIREWORKS. At six o'clock the work of lighting up commenced, and High street was soon brilliantly illuminated with hundreds of paper lanterns, and a large number of transparences. "The illuminations were principally confined to the central business part of the town, many of the shopkeepers having gone to considerable trouble with their displays. In the western part of High street, the premises of Mr C. Anderson and the Red Lion Hotel were particularly well got up, a transparency over the door of the , former, with the words "God Save tbe Queen,*" being very good. Coming nearer . the centre of the town, Mr J. M'Kelvy and Mr W. Bridget had a very nice show of lanterns, and the former had, also, a pretty , coloured transparency on his shop front. By far the best displays, however, were made by ! Mr G. F. Smith, Messrß W. J. Crot.li.rs md Co , and Mr J. Roberts, who exhibited besides a large number of lanterns of the better class, several tasteful tran3parencio3, with likenesses of the Queen, and mottoes and emblems appropriate to the occas on. The premises of Messrs E. R. Good, M. Sklaark, R. Ball. R. Evans, J. "Wheeler, R. Newbury, L. Marin, J. Lewis, L. Hunnibell, T. Boyd, and Mrs Taylor were also lined and thickly studded with lanterns ; and some also displayed transparencies, Mr R. Evans' and Mr Wheeler's being especially taking to the eye. The illuminations were not confined to the business places, several pri vate individuals being loyal enough to make a show, the efforts of Drs Clayton and Gordon, and I-lessrs H. Boyd, W. Wilson, C. Tyler, and R. Wright being particularly worthy of notice. At the Fire Brigade station there was also a fine exhibition of coloured lights from the top of the look- out, and Ashley street was spanned by a line of lanterns between Messrs ___cholls and Co.'s grain store and the weighbridge. For the display of fireworks, which was commenced at half-past six and kept up till eight, the people were indebted to Mr J. Roberts and G. F. Smith, who carried out this part of the programme at their own expense. The display was made from the balcony of the Junction Hotel and the front of Mr Smith's shop, and consisted principally of coloured j fires, Roman candles, and rockets. During : the early part ctf the evening the street was crowded with sightseers belonging to the town and all parts of the district, the utmost good feeling prevailing. The boys kept things lively with Chinese crackers, and occasionally the disehargeof astnall signalling gun reverberated through the town. ENTERTAINMENTS. The other attractions of the evening comprised a performance by the Rangiora Dramatic Society, followed by a dance, and a children's entertainment by Mr Ferguson of Ashley. The latter, consistic gof dissolving views, was given at the Good Templar's Hall, and was well patronised, considering the counter attraction provided in the street. The dramatic performance drew a bumper house, the Institute Hull being crowded to the doors. The programme rendered by the Company in their now well-known good style included a musical extravaganza, entitled " The Pirates' Retreat," and a dramatic piece called, "Over the Garden Wall." The j overture was performed by Mr and Mrs Morgan, on the harp and violin, iv a manner that elicited rounds of applause from the audience. Mr Morgan also contributed a harp solo, " The Men of Harlech," which again won for him hearty plaudits. The hall was handsomely decorated with a number of mottoes suitable to the occasion, made by Mr Ferguson with coloured papers. The dance, which was well patronised, brought to a close another red letter day in the history cf Rangiora. The demonstration was well arranged, and carried out with right good feeling and heartiness from beginning to end, th_s superb weather experienced lend' iug not a little to its success.
Permanent link to this item
The Celebration at Rangiora., Star, Issue 5945, 3 June 1887
The Celebration at Rangiora. Star, Issue 5945, 3 June 1887
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1910-1920).