SCHEME DROPPED
Resettling Nauruans
(N.Z. Press Assn—Copyright) BRISBANE, March 28. Attempts to resettle Nauru Islanders on Curtis Island, off the Queensland coast, have been abandoned by the Australian Government, a Federal Parliamentarian said yesterday.
The Australian Government planned to settle Nauruans on Curtis Island when Nauru’s phosphate deposits become exhaus-
ted in about 30 years. Mr George Gray, member for the electorate which includes Curtis Island, said he had been advised by the Minister for Territories (Mr Charles Barnes) that the Government had abandoned the scheme.
Australia would notify other members of the triumvirate governing Nauru—Britain and New Zealand.
Proposals to resettle Nauruans on Curtis Island were criticised when they were made public last year.
Both Nauruans and residents of Curtis Island opposed the plans.
Permanent link to this item
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19650329.2.111
Bibliographic details
Press, Volume CIV, Issue 30711, 29 March 1965, Page 11
Word Count
125
SCHEME DROPPED
Press, Volume CIV, Issue 30711, 29 March 1965, Page 11
Stuff Ltd is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 New Zealand licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Stuff Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries.