BIG U.S. BLOCK
FOR CIVILIAN USE
The probability of the conversion of the large American hospital in Cornwall Park into a hospital under the administration of the Auckland Hospital Board can now be announced. The site of the hospital is considered by many medical experts to be admirable for the purpose contemplated. Some doctors have asserted that it would make a splendid chest hospital. Under American military standards in this area, the existing buildings constitute a hospital for 1500 patients, but there is a big discrepancy between military and civilian requirements, and under New Zealand standards the accommodation is sufficient for only 1000 patients. However, a chest or even a general hospital accommodating such a large number of patients would be a most useful adjunct to the city's present facilities, which are overtaxed. Negotiations in Prospect The transfer of a great number of lung cases at present under treatment would result in an all-round easing of the strain on general hospital accommodation. It is known that, although the intentions of the United States military authorities regarding the date of evacuation may not be announced for some time, conferences are in prospect concerning the future of the hospital.
ilie Auckland Hospital Board will discuss with the Health Department the future use of the buildings. Today Mr. Allan Moody, chairman of the beard, said that so far there had been no mention of the future use of the buildings, but he was sure the board would be happy to discuss any proposals that might be made. As to the suitability for a chest hospital he had nothing to say, but he indicated that, in so far as the Cornwall Park hospital might be used for general purposes, the proposal would possibly be welcomed. Removal of Infirmary Patients "All I can say to-day is that there has been no official communication on the subject," added Mr. Moody. "The matter may how be discussed at the next meeting of the Hospital Board. Something will certainly have to be done about evacuating the infirmary patients from St. John's, Tamaki, and the institution at Bombay. Their removal to those institutions, made available to the board, was deemed necessary early last year owing to the war situation. We shall have to give up both institutions as soon as we can." An up-to-date home sufficient to accommodate 250 nurses was constructed on the Cornwall Park hospital block, and accommodation was also provided for medical officers, orderlies and other personnel. Lease of 15 Years The question of the legality of the use of part of Cornwall Park for a civilian hospital is linked with the proposal, since the park is under the administration of the Cornwall Park trustees. The park was the gift to the public of the late Sir John Logan Campbell, whose intentions the trustees seek to carry into effect. It will be recalled that recently the trustees declined to extend the Maungakiekie Golf Club's privileges over that section of the park which had been used as a golf course. Despite vigorous protests and representations, the club had to abandon the use of the links, since the trustees held that the park had been gifted for the use of the people generally.
When negotiations with the American military authorities were completed, the trustees granted the New Zealand Government a lease of 15 years in respect to the area required for hospital purposes. In view of this lease, it now becomes possible to discuss the use of the area for civilian hospital requirements.
Permanent link to this item
NEW HOSPITAL, Auckland Star, Volume LXXV, Issue 141, 16 June 1944
NEW HOSPITAL Auckland Star, Volume LXXV, Issue 141, 16 June 1944
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Auckland Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries.