|Alternative title(s)||Te Mareikura|
The first issue of Te Mareikura, a monthly newspaper, was published in Greytown on 1 August 1911. It was one of three Māori language newspapers published by Māori in the Wairarapa in the early twentieth century; the others were Matuhi and the longer running Te Puke ki Hikurangi.
A key figure in the ownership and management of the company which published the newspaper was Pūrākau Maika, who was also editor of the rival Te Puke ki Hikurangi. Other prominent local Māori involved with the company were Te Whatahoro Jury, Charles Jury and Iraia Te Whāiti, while Whenua H Manihera edited the newspaper.
Te Mareikura was associated with the Kotahitanga Māori parliament movement but its content was wide ranging. National and international news and information on agriculture featured prominently in the pages of Te Mareikura, with many of the news items being Māori translations of material from English-language newspapers such as the Dominion.
The last issue of Te Mareikura was published on 1 January 1913. It seems likely that having to compete in the same small market as Te Puke ki Hikurangi was a factor in its demise.
Based on information from S Chrisp, ‘The Tribal Society of the Wairarapa Newspapers’ in Rere Atu, Taku Manu! edited by J Curnow, N Hopa and J McRae (Auckland: Auckland University Press, 2002), pp. 193–210.
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.