Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image

THE MOVE INTO INDO-CHINA.

STATEMENT ISSUED BY VICHY. ANGLO-AMERICAN “DESIGNS.” LONDON, July 20. The first two Japanese troop transports loaded to capacity arrived" in Saigon this morning. The total number of Japanese to be allowed in the country is 40,000. . ,r ■ A broadcast from Tokio to New York reported from Saigon that “slight resistance from isolated , rebel garrisons in Indo-China had been easily dealt with by Japanese contingents assisted by Vichy troops.” A message from Peiping says it is reliably stated that the Japanese army “pi’otectively seized ” British and American firms in Tsingtao, Chefoo, M,ukden and Dairen. Japan has placed 11 British firms in Osaka and Kobe under the freezing regulations. From Shanghai it is reported that the Japanese detained a British ship, the Hunan, bound for Hong Kong, for eight hours while the cargo of piecegoods was removed. ■' The Tokio correspondent of the United Press of America reports that the press in Tokio generally attacked Britain and the United States for adopting a challenging attitude to Japan and warned them that the occupation of Indo-China placed Japan In an unshakable position which would cause Britains and American’s counter schemes to go up in smoke. The Vichy Government has issued a statement informing the public of the scope of the consequences of the French-Japanese agreement on IndoChina, says the correspondent of “The Times” on .the French frontier. It aims to appease public opinion which is showing much uneasiness at the prospect of losing yet another colony,; although Marshal Petain and Admiral Darlan, the Premier and VicePremier, declared that the French Empire would be defended by. all means. ■

Propaganda is attempting’ to show that Britain with American help was about to steal another colony from 1 France. Marshal Petain and Admiral Darlan have so far succeeded In. imposing their foreign, policy on the Government, but opposition is growing, even in the Cabinet.

In Washington, the Under-Secretary of State (Mr Sumner Welles) said the United States had not given an assun ance to Japan that licences would be issued to permit a contiiiuarice '‘ of trade. Clearance would be given Japanese ships under present conditions. It is officially announced, in,Batavia that all trade between the Netherlands East Indies and Japan is technically at a standstill. The. Netherlands East Indies had not intended to close down shipments to Japan contracted before last Monday, but future exports would be regulated in accordance with Japan’s attitude.

It is reported from Tokio that American business is virtually at a standstill. It is believed the Government will take over as a monopoly the business of film companies.

The Government of Sarawak has taken further defence measures. Meri, where oilfields are located, and the capital, Kuching, have been declared defence areas.

A special police force and a coastguard are being formed.

Shipping companies in Sydney , said licences for Japanese vessels to load at Australian ports had been Withdrawn. A third Japanese vessel, the liner Kasima Maru, which was due at Townsville on Sunday to load cargo has not arrived Aboard the liner are the new Consul-General for Japan, Mr Itsuo Goto, and his family. ‘ -

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG19410731.2.42.2

Bibliographic details

Ashburton Guardian, Volume 61, Issue 247, 31 July 1941, Page 5

Word Count
515

THE MOVE INTO INDO-CHINA. Ashburton Guardian, Volume 61, Issue 247, 31 July 1941, Page 5

THE MOVE INTO INDO-CHINA. Ashburton Guardian, Volume 61, Issue 247, 31 July 1941, Page 5