♦ JOHN OLLIVIEE. We regret to have to announce the death, of Mr John Ollivier, one of Canterbury's early settlers, which took place last evening at his residence, Ferry road. Mr Ollivier was born in England ia 1811, and consequently was in his eighty-second year at the time of his death. For twenty years he carried on the bußinees of - publisher in the City of London, his firm claiming the honour of having published Kinglake's. "Eoth'en." While so engaged he initiated the Corn Law League, a Society which flourished for some years under the Presidencies of the Dukes of York and Richmond. Having abandoned this line of business, Mr Ollivier came out to New Zealand in the ship John Taylor, arriving in Lyttelton in the year 1853. He at first turned his attention to farming pursuits, and selected land on the Lower Lincoln road, opposite where the Mount Magdala Asylum now stands. After farming this fora few years, he came to town and built the house on the Ferry road in which he resided up to the time of his death. He entered the Provincial Council, and, while a member of that body, carried on an auctioneering business in conjunction with his son Claude, in premises where the Grain Agency Buildings now stand. He took very great interest in all matters concerning the Province. He retired from business to take the position of Provincial Secretary under Mr Moorhouse's Government,' and at- times held several offices, including that of Speaker to the Council. On his appointment to the office of Provincial Secretary he was the first to propose the construction of the Lyttelton and Christchurch railway, and assisted to cany through the Council the proposal to connect the Port and the plains by means 6f the tunnel. He was always a staunch supporter of Mr Moor house, and that gentleman, at the time he defeated Meßßrs Lance and Tr avers for the Superintendenoy, referred to Mr Ollivier aB Canterbury's wet nurse, an appellation which stuck to him for a number of years. On bis retirement from the Speakership of the Council he was Appointed Provincial Auditor, which position he continued to hold until the Provinces were abolished, afterwards holding a somewhat similar office under the General Government. He was afterwards superannuated and given a pension. He was Chairman of the City Council in 1864, and he also held the office of Resident Magistrate . at Lyttelton and Christchurch. He always took the keenest interest in anything that was lor the good of his adopted country, and was ready at all times to assist in any work of charity. It was only neceßsary to enlist his sympathy in any matter to ensure, a large sum of money being raised, for any deserving object, and his powers as a " sturdy beggar " are known to all the older Bettlers. He only once stood for election to Parliament, when he was defeated by the late Mr Humphreys. His golden wedding was celebrated about- four years ago, but since that time he has lost his wife. He was well-known throughout the Colony of New Zealand, but better known to the people of Canterbury aa, a public-spirited man— a man who made it his business to identify himself with the people in all their legitimate and clearly-expreßsed desires. . Last February he had the misfortune to burst a blood • vessel on the brain, and has been more or less confined to his house Bince that time. He appeared to be getting on aa well as could be expected, but during the last day or two symptoms of congestion of the bowek showed themselves, and yesterday morning the medical men pronounced his case hopeless. He passed away peacefully at seven o'clock last night. He leaves six sons and two daughters. Mr A. M. Ollivier (of Ollivier and Grierson) and Mr Walter Ollivier, cashier at the railway station, are the only two sons in Cbrißtchurch. One daughter is unmarried, while the other is the widow of the late Mr B. P. Crosbie. The funeral will take place at the Heathcote cemetery oa Thursday.
Permanent link to this item
OBITUARY., Star, Issue 4711, 1 August 1893
OBITUARY. Star, Issue 4711, 1 August 1893
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1910-1920).