INAUGURATION OF THE RICHMOND FIRE BRIGADE.
The formation of a Fire Brigade at Riohmond was inaugurated on Aug. 23, when the Town Brigade proceoded to that place, and give the nawly formed body some excellent engine practice, a 9 well as general instruction in the various work incidental to the'saving of life and'property at firea. The Town Brigade, under command of Captain Lightfoofc— who having first provided for any possible need of the eervic'is of the Brigade in town, by appointing & few competent men to remain in charge, and leaving with them a sufficiency of their best hose to enable any fire which might have occurred to be extinguished, and also arranged that in ca9e of any fire breaking out they should be immediately telegraphed to return —left town at 6.30 by a special train. They maroherl in procession to the railway station, headed by the band, and carrying torches; on arrival at the station, colored lights were burned, and when.they, together with the considerable number who accompanied them, had taken their seats ip the carriages, the train moved from the platform. During the run to Riohmond, red, blue, and yellow lights were burned from the carriages. On arriving at their destination, another torchlight procession was formed, it being then joined by the Richmond Brigade. The Town men had taken their engine with them, and this was drawn into the centre of the township. After burning more colored lights, and the ringing of the firebell newly erected opposite the Star and Q-arter Hotel, the Nelson men coupled on their hose, «nd with the engine playiug directed a good stream of water on to the roof of fllr Oroucher's new mill, that being the highest building in the place. They then handed over their appliances to the Riohmond Brigade, who made some good practice in several parts of the township. The Town Brigade then returned to the Star and Garter Hotel, where they displayed- their efficiency in the quick raising of ladders to the roof of a building, and in the passing up of water in buckets. The j. then manned the "jumping sheet," a large strong sheet, to which numerous ropes are attached, and wbioh are held firmly over the shoulders of a number of men j some of the men mounted the ladders and jumped safely into the sheet, and in a few minutes numerous volunteers essayed to do the same, one man jumping from the roof. After very satisfactory practice, the two brigades with a few friends, adjjumed to the hotel, where they partook of a light supper. Before retiring, Mr Canning, on behalf of the Richmond people proposed, the health of Captain Lightfoot and bis Brig.ide, and a vote of thanks for their services, and he oonoluded hiß speech by asking the Richmond people to subscribe for the benefit of the sufferers by the recent fire in Nelson, himself heading the list generously. The toast having bean duly honored, Captain Lightfoot responded, referring to the j,uat claim the new Brigade had for assistance from the Insurance Companies. Captain Lightfoot then proposed the health and prosperity of the Riohmond Brigade, coupling with the toast the name of Captain Gapper. That gnntleman suitably returned thanks, and a procession was formed, which marched to the train, and the Town Brigade returned as they went, headed by the Bund, and carrying torches and burning colored fires. '
Permanent link to this item
INAUGURATION OF THE RICHMOND FIRE BRIGADE., Colonist, Volume XX, Issue 2444, 12 September 1878, Supplement
INAUGURATION OF THE RICHMOND FIRE BRIGADE. Colonist, Volume XX, Issue 2444, 12 September 1878, Supplement
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.