ST. JAMES' CHURCH, NGATIMOTI.
' The little church so romantically situated almost under the shadow of Mount Arthur was opened and consecrated on Tuesday by the Bishop, assisted by the Archdeacon of Waimea. Dr Taylor, the Revs S. Poole. M.A.. F. Lines Jones, Scdgwick. Kay. and Alan ' Jones. Several trustees were present, also slr W. Guy. tho donor of the site, and the Building Committee headed by Messrs Tarrant. Sutcliffe. and Brereton. The original design with tower and spire was given by Mr PownaJl. It is hoped the whole will bo carried out in its- entirety. Largo numbers of persons were present from thoneighbourhood. Miss Delaney played the excellent organ from Mr Darby's, and wns supported admirably by the local choir, who responded with n? much heartiness as even Dr Taylor would require. In the afternoon and ovening the singing was varied with the assistance of friends from Xolsou. The arrangements made for the accommodation of pors'tns from a distance, especially the tent? for (he camp, under the direction of Messrs Straohan Krothei-.-. Heath. iSutdiffo. and others were excellent. The collections in church amounted to over CIO. and this will leave not more than about ,C2."> to be raisfd to pay off all existing claims and to leave no debt at all on the church. This result has been attained by keeping the matter going: constantly and persistently, with tho rfssistance of friends from a distance and near. The building is of the best material and stoutly built. Mr Fleming of Nelson made the French polished chancel fitting?, which were 2>resenter) by friends in Motueka. The ltev S. Poole, who visits periodically, took a leading part in the morning service. A confirmation of eight person? was held, and also a oi-lebnuion of the Holy Communion at which ahoui sixty attended. The sermon in tho morning w;is by the ltev A. 11. Sedgwick, in the afternoon by the ltev F. lanos Jone.-. and in the evening by the Rev Dr T iylor.
Permanent link to this item
ST. JAMES' CHURCH, NGATIMOTI., Nelson Evening Mail, Volume XIX, Issue 250, 30 October 1884
ST. JAMES' CHURCH, NGATIMOTI. Nelson Evening Mail, Volume XIX, Issue 250, 30 October 1884
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.