Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


MARLBOROUGH v. HAWKE’S BAY. An iuterprovincial match was played at Blenheim yesterday between representative teams from Hawke’s Bay and Marlborough, in the presence of a large number of people, about 1,200 being present. In the first spell for a long time the game was confined to neutral territory, neither side gaining any advantage. At length Hale, one of the Marlborough forwards, took the ball and grounded it behind the Hawkc’a Bay line close to the corner Ikg, but no further score resulted, It was evident that the Marlborough men were heavier than their opponents, and the extra weight was made to tell in a series of rushes, although Wi Duncan by determined play managed to prevent a score against his side upon several occasions. On the other hand, the rest of the Hawke’s Bay backs showed a selfishness which prevented them taking advantage of more than one chance offered to them. During the second half of the game the Marlborough men showed their superiority in their forward play, the ball being kept for the most part in the enemy’s quarters. A few minutes after this spell was started Ball received the hall from a clever pass by Nesbitt, and sent the leather between the posts, thus increasing the score of the local team to 4 points. The Hawke’s Bay njen then pulled themselves together, and by dint of fast rushes brought the ball close to Marlborough’s goal, and were awarded a free kick on account of an infringement of the rules. Nothing resulted, however. Tho rest of the play was uninteresting, and the match resulted in a win for Marlborough by 4 points to nil. Towards the end of the first spell Hawke’s Bay lost the services of James and Moirison —tho former receiving a nasty kick on the head, and the latter having his knee severely injured. Neither of these men took part in the game afterwards, so the visitors had to continue with thirteen men. James was unable to leave Blenheim with the rest of the team. MAORIS v. WAIRARAPA. The match Maoris v, Wairarapa was played at Mastcrton yesterday. The Wairarapa team were much tho same as played against Wellington on the 10th. The Maoris kicked off, and tho local men at oneo became aggressors, taking the play to the Maoris’ twenty-five. Ten minutes after commencing Perry got over, but the try at goal proved a failure. The ball waa then taken to Wairarapa’s line, and Ellison got over, but was called back. The Greens cleared their line, and took the play to the visitors’ twentyfive, where a free kick was awarded, and Baumber placed a goal. From a Wairarapa rush Eaglet got possession and ran from near half-way, touching down between the posts, Baumber failed to convert. Fast play up and down ended in Ellison getting over, but the score waa not in creased. At the end of the first spell tho score was : Wairarapa points, Natives 1. The second spell waa much in favor of the visitors, and the local men tackling badly, allowed a number of scores against them. J. Perry got over the Maori line, and Baumber increased the score, but after this Wairarapa seemed to go to pieces. Ellison secured two tries and Gage one. Gage also potted a goal, and Ellison kicked one from a free kick. Tho game ended in favor of tho Maoris by 10 points to 8, W. WYNYARD AND TAIAROA DISQUALIFIED. At a meeting of the Canterbury Rugby Union held last night the referee reported W. VVynyard and Taiaroa for disputing his decision on Saturday. The Union decided to suspend them during their pleasure, and communicate this to other unions. A special general meeting of the Union is to be held on Friday to consider a proposal to play a match between the Rev. Mr Hoatson’s selected team and one picked from outside. Several clubs not satisfied with his selection are moving in the matter. A largely-attended meeting of those favorable to the formation of a football club was held in tho Saratoga House, Waitati, on Saturday evening. It was decided to form a club at once. O.R.P.U. TRIAL MATCH. At a meeting of tho Match Committee of tho 0.R.F.U., held last night, the following teams were selected to play in a trial match to bo held on the Carisbrook Ground on Saturday, the 24th August Bum.—Pull-Sack, Thomss ; thrcoquartor-backs— Davie, Gran, Lynch ; half-backs-Keogh, Restieaux ; forwards—A. Gibson (captain), Stephenson, Hunter, Montgomery, Tattersall, Sonutag, M'Fnrlane, D. Torrance, Isaac*. Colors.— Full-back, Reid ; three-quarter-backs— Noel, Lang, Thompson ; half-backs Crawford, MTntyro ; forwards—W. Gibson, Rallingshaw, Duncan, Esqniiant, Millar, G. Morris (captain), J. Morris, Gordon, Matbcson, J. Torrance, Allan, Wright.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL., Evening Star, Issue 7990, 20 August 1889

Word Count

FOOTBALL. Evening Star, Issue 7990, 20 August 1889