(Special to the "Evening Post.")
WANGANUI, This Day,
A ceremony of interest to many people of both races was performed at Marton this week, when the Hamilton Memorial Library at the Turakina Girls' College was dedicated to the memory of the late Mr. A. G. Hamilton., the first principal of the college, when it was established at Turakina in 1905. A short but impressive service was followed by the unveiling of the memorial by Mrs. A. G. Hamilton.
The large enclosed case is handsomely adorned with Maori carving, and many of the books were given by the Hamilton family and by old girls of the college. Among the visitors were the Moderator, the Rt. Rev. T. E. Riddell, the superintendent of the Maori Mission Work of the Presbyterian Church, the Rev. J. G. Laughton, and ex-pupils from Wairoa, Tokaanu, "and all the kainga on the Wanganui River. Among the speakers was Mr. Ernia, a leader of the Ngatiapa people, one of whose ancestors was a speaker in 1905. After the service the girls of the college served afternoon tea on the tennis courts.
Permanent link to this item
MEMORIAL LIBRARY, Evening Post, Volume CXXVII, Issue 59, 11 March 1939
MEMORIAL LIBRARY Evening Post, Volume CXXVII, Issue 59, 11 March 1939
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Evening Post. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.