1937. NEW ZEALAND.
NATIONAL ART GALLERY AND DOMINION MUSEUM. REPORT OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31st MARCH, 1937.
Presented to both Houses of the General Assembly pursuant to Section 11 (2) of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum Amendment Act, 1936.
Wellington, 30th September, 1937. Sir, — I have the honour, by direction of the Board of Trustees, to submit to you herewith, pursuant to section 11 of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum Amendment Act, 1936, their report for the year ended 31st March, 1937, together with a copy of their accounts for the year, certified by the Audit Office. I have, &c., The Honourable W. E. Parry, F. H. Bass, Secretary, Minister of Internal Affairs, Wellington.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES. Chairman — The Prime Minister, the Right Hon. M. J. Savage, P.C., M.P. Deputy Chairmen — The Mayor of' Wellington (T. C. A. Hislop, Esq., C.M.G.). The Minister of Internal Affairs (Hon. W. E. Parry, M.P.). Sir George A. Troup, Kt., C.M.G. (Chairman of Building and Finance Committee). Members — Sir Harold Beauchamp, Kt. Sir George Shirtcliffe, K.B.E. The Under-Secretary of Internal Affairs (J. W. Heenan, Esq., C.8.E., LL.B.). The Royal Society of New Zealand — Dr. P. Marshall, M.A., D.Sc., F.G.S., F.R.G.S., F.R.S.N.Z. Professor W. P. Evans, M.A., Ph.D., F.R.S.N.Z. Wellington Harbour Board— D. J. McGowan, Esq. (Chairman). C. M. Turrell, Esq. New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts — D. A. Ewen, Esq., M.B.E. G. G. G. Watson, Esq., M.A., LL.B. Chairman of the Wellington Branch of the New Zealand Institute of Architects (W. Fielding, Esq., L.R.1.8.A., F.N.Z.1.A.). Councillor H. A. R. Huggins, Wellington City Council. Chairman of the Wellington War Memorial Carillon Society (Lieut.-Colonel A. Cowles, V.D.). Secretary. —F. H. Bass, Esq., F.P.A., N.Z., Chartered Secretary (Eng.). Treasurer.—F. B. Dwyer, Esq., A.R.A.N.Z.
COMMITTEES OF MANAGEMENT. National Art Gallery. Sir George A. Troup, Kt„ O.M.G. (Chairman), Messrs. W. Fielding (Acting-Chairman), C. M. Turrell (acting as Deputy for Sir George A. Troup), D. A. Ewen, A. D. Carbery, T. D. H. Hall, Nugent Welch, Mrs. Murray Fuller (Wellington), Messrs. W. H. Gummer (Auckland), and Sydney L. Thompson (Christchurcli). Secretary : E. I). Gore, Esq. Dominion Musetjm. Sir George Shirtcliffe (Chairman), Messrs. D. J. McGowan, J. C. Andersen, B. C. Aston, N. TLambourne, Dr. J. Rankine Brown, Professor H. B. Kirk, Dr. P. Marshall, Right Rev. Bishop Williams (Napier). Director : Dr. W. R. B. Oliver. National War Memorial Carillon. Lieut.-Colonel A. Cowles (Chairman), Councillor H. A. R. Huggins, Messrs. E. E. Muir, E. C. Hale, Robert Johnson, J. H. Hallewell, and J. G. Osborne (Secretary). I—H. 21.
FIRST ANNUAL REPORT OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31st MARCH, 1937. As this is the first annual report of the Board of Trustees of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum, a short survey of the constitution of the Board and of the institutions under its care is furnished. . . .. The constitution of the Board is provided for in the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum Amendment Act, 1936, as follows : — (а) The person for the time being in office as the Prime Minister of the Dominion of New Zealand, who shall be the Chairman of the Board : (б) The person for the time being in office as the Minister of Internal Affairs : (c) The person for the time being in office as the Under-Secretary of the Department of Internal Affairs : (d) The person for the time being in office as Mayor of the City of Wellington, and such other person for the time being in office as a member of the Wellington City Council as the Council from time to time appoints : (e) The person for the time being in office as Chairman of the Wellington Harbour Board and such other person for the time being in office as a member of the Wellington Harbour Board as that Board from time to time appoints : (/) Eleven persons to be appointed by the Governor-General in Council, of whom— (i) Two shall be nominated by the Council of the Royal Society of New Zealand ; (ii) Two shall be nominated by the Council of the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts ; (iii) One shall be nominated by the Council of the Wellington Branch of the New Zealand Institute of Architects ; (iv) One shall be nominated by the Wellington War Memorial Carillon Society ; *(v) One shall be appointed as representing local authorities (other than the Wellington City Council and the Wellington Harbour Board) that are empowered to contribute to the Board's funds ; and *(vi) One shall be appointed as representing the Native race. The institutions controlled by the Board of Trustees comprise The National Art Gallery. The Dominion Museum. The War Memorial Carillon and Campanile. Each institution is under the control of a Committee of Management, upon which the Board is represented, and which is subject to direction and control by the Board. The National Art Gallery Committee consists of nine members, of whom seven are nominated by the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, and two are members of the Board of Trustees. The Dominion Museum Committee consists of nine members, of whom seven are nominated by the Royal Society of New Zealand, and two are members of the Board of Trustees. The War Memorial Carillon Committee consists of seven members, of whom five are nominated by the Wellington War Memorial Carillon Society, and two are members of the Board of Trustees. Each Committee reports, through the Secretary, to the Board of Trustees. Building and finance matters are dealt with by a special Committee. Sub-committees have been formed to deal with various activities, and persons outside the Management Committees or Board, with particular knowledge of the subject concerned, have been appointed to some of the Committees. The personnel of the various sub-committees is at present as under Art Gallery — Sculpture : Messrs. J. M. Ellis, F. H. Shurrock, and R. Gross. Graphics : Messrs. L. T. Watkins (Convener), Walter Blundell, and H. H. Tombs. Architectural: Messrs. William Fielding (Convener) and W. H. Gummer. Educational : Messrs. T. D. H. Hall (Convener), G. A. Troup, and A. D. Carbery. Finance : Messrs. C. M. Turrell (Convener), D. A. Ewen, and T. D. H. Hall. Hanging : Mrs. Murray Fuller (Convener), Messrs. Nugent Welch, A. D. Carbery, and Sydney L. Thompson. Museum — Advisory Committee : Professor H. B. Kirk and Mr. J. C. Andersen. Educational: Mr. N. T. Lambourne, Right Rev. Bishop Williams, Dr. J. Rankine Browne, and Professor H. B. Kirk. Pictures offered for the National Collection are first inspected by a special Selection Committee, which makes a recommendation to the Board of Trustees as to acceptance or otherwise. The first meeting of the Board of Trustees was held on 2nd December, 1930, and since its inception the Board has met thirty-nine times. The Dominion Museum is under the immediate control of the Director, Dr. W. R. B. Oliver. Ihe Art Gallery is under the control of the Secretary of the Art Gallery Management Committee, Mr. E. D. Gore.
* Appointments not yet made.
The building and grounds are under the control of a Custodian. All the staff, with the exception of the Secretary to the Board, are members of the Public Service. The New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, which occupies a portion of the National Art Gallery, carries on valuable work in the encouragement and development of art. In addition to holding periodical exhibitions of work by its artist members, the Academy heartily co-operates in the work of the National Art Gallery and readily lends its main gallery for special exhibitions. The Academy contributed the proceeds of the sale of its Whitmore Street property and its Building Fund to the Board's Building Fund, and also makes an annual contribution to the revenue of the Board. The activities of the three sections are described in the accompanying reports, and some idea can be gathered therefrom of the varied and valuable work that is carried on by the respective institutions, and the immense possibilities of the educational work that can be accomplished if the necessary funds are made available. During the year under review the Art Gallery and Museum building has been completed, and it is pleasing to record that the final cost was within the building funds available, and the institutions therefore commenced operations free of any capital debt, the total cost of the buildings, equipment, and lay-out of grounds is approximately £234,000. The Building Fund of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum was contributed in equal proportions by the Government and by public subscriptions. Assistance has also been received from the Employment Fund and the Education Department towards the cost of laying-out the grounds and equipment of the buildings. The Government also contributed a large proportion of the cost of the erection of the Carillon Campanile, and the War Memorial Carillon was purchased by public subscriptions. The foundation stone of the Campanile was laid by the Bight Hon. G. W. Forbes, P.C. (then Prime Minister), on 15tli May, 1931, and the dedication ceremony was performed by Lord Bledisloe, then Governor-General, on Anzac Day, 25th April, 1932. The foundation stone of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum was laid by Lord Bledisloe, then Governor-General, on 14th April, 1934, and the building was formally opened by His Excellency the Governor-General, Viscount Galway, D.5.0., 0.8. E., on Ist August, 1936. The completion of the building was the culmination of many years of unceasing effort on the part of a number of enthusiastic and ardent supporters of art and science, and it is the consensus of opinion of all visitors that the buildings form a fitting national home for the art and museum treasures of the Dominion. The complete building scheme included a Hall of Memories, forming an adjunct to the Carillon Tower, and this particular section has yet to be completed. Efforts are being made to secure the necessary funds to enable the Hall of Memories to be erected. The grounds in front of the building group have been laid out in approach roads, grass slopes, and planted areas, and the areas at the sides and rear of the buildings are now receiving attention. When completed the grounds will form an attractive and popular public reserve. By arrangement with the Board of the Technical College, an access road to the College has been made, and an undertaking has been given that no fences are to be erected between the respective grounds. When the widening of Buckle Street is completed and the police-station removed the approach to the buildings will be considerably improved. The Art Gallery, Museum, and Carillon have been visited by many thousands of people, and have already proved their' value as places of interest and a channel of education for adults and children. The tea-rooms in the Art Gallery section have been well patronized, and a number of luncheons, teas, and other social functions have been held in the rooms during the year. The Lecture Hall has been used for lectures in connection with the Museum and by the Wellington Philosophical Society and other educational bodies for lectures and film pictures. The British Medical Association held a conference in the Art Gallery and Museum building in February. The Treasurer's report and audited statement of accounts for the year ended 31st March, 1936, are appended hereto. The Board of Trustees is still faced with a difficult problem in the provision of the revenue necessary to enable the institutions under its care to carry out their proper functions, for while there have been many gifts of valuable pictures and exhibits and two handsome funds which will be available later for purchase of pictures, the Board has no endowment fund or resources for carrying on its operations, and is therefore dependent upon annual grants from the Government and local bodies, plus public subscriptions, for this purpose. The Government has made an annual grant of £7,000 and the Wellington City Corporation made a grant of £500 for 1935-36, and has voted £1,000 for the current year ending 31st March, 1938, but the present revenue is totally inadequate to meet runningcosts and provide essential funds for repairs and renewals, depreciation, purchase of pictures and exhibits, and educational facilities. Unless, therefore, the revenue can be considerably augmented, the work of the institutions must suffer a severe setback and their educational aims be stultified. By reason of the representative character of the Board of Trustees the personnel has changed from time to time, and a tribute is paid to those who have acted as members of the Board and committees. During the year ended 3'lst March, 1937, Messrs. T. R. Barrer and J. M. Ellis thus retired from the Board, Mrs. M. E. Tripe, Mr. N. Isaac, and Mr. J. M. Ellis retired from the Art Gallery Management Committee, and Mr. T. R. Barrer from the Museum Management Committee. Dr. E. B. Gunson acted
for a time as a member of the Art Gallery Management Committee. They rendered valuable services during their period of office. The honour of knighthood was conferred by His Majesty the King on Sir George A. Troup, largely in recognition of his services in connection with the establishment of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum. The thanks and appreciation of the Board are extended to the persons and bodies who have contributed to the Building Fund and have made gifts to the Art Gallery, Museum, and Carillon ; to the many persons who have assisted by devoting time and labour to the furtherance of the work of the institutions under control of the Board ; to the press for its support and publicity ; to the New Zealand Shipping Co., Ltd., and Union Steam Ship Co., Ltd., for carriage of pictures free of freight; and to the Railway Department and Wellington Harbour Board for concession in charges. The staff has rendered willing and valuable service. M. J. Savage, Chairman. F. H. Bass, Secretary.
NATIONAL ART GALLERY COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT. Annual Report foe the Yeae ended 31st March, 1937. Eight meetings of the Committee were held during the twelve months under review in addition to a large number of meetings of sub-committees, which meet frequently as occasion arises. For the opening of the National Art Gallery in August, 1936, a special effort was made to bring together a collection of works of art that would be worthy of an occasion which marks a stage in the cultural development of New Zealand calculated to have far-reaching effects on the cultivation and appreciation of art in the Dominion. It may be said without fear of contradiction that the authorities of the National Gallery succeeded in their aim beyond expectations and that the works exhibited at the opening formed the finest and most comprehensive collection ever assembled in this country. The following collections were on exhibition : —• (1) The Collection of British Art lent by the National and Tate Galleries, London, the National Gallery of Scotland, and Private Owners in England.—This consisted of seventy-two works (eight pieces of sculpture, sixty-three oil paintings and one water-colour. Pictures by Reynolds, Constable, Turner, Crome, Raeburn, Gainsborough, Morland, Richard Wilson, Lawrence, and Sam Bough were included ; there were outstanding works by contemporary British artists, and a small section of sculpture which was of particular interest. The thanks of the Trustees are due to the authorities of the galleries and the private owners who so kindly lent works, and to the Empire Art Loan Collections Society which organized the exhibition. (2) The Murray Fuller Collection of British Contemporary Art brought to New Zealand bv Mrs. M Murray Fuller. This Gallery was fortunate in having the opportunity to exhibit at its opening such a well-selected and representative collection of British present-day art. The Trustees took the opportunity of purchasing two of the pictures for the national collection ; a number were presented to the Gallery by citizens ; and two were purchased with funds donated for the purpose by the Board of Governors of the Thomas George Macarthy Trust to the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts. (3) An Exhibition of New Zealand Architectural Designs organized by the New Zealand Institute of Architects. (4) The Annual Exhibition of the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts.—The Academy arranged for its annual exhibition to be held simultaneously with the opening of the Gallery. The thanks of the Trustees are clue to the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts for generously giving up their exhibition gallery at the opening so that the British Loan Collection could be hung there. The Academy exhibition was hung in another part of the Gallery, and this entailed a considerable sacrifice on the Academy's part, as it meant that it had to forego the whole of its admission takings for the 1936 annual exhibition. (5) Loan Retrospective Exhibition of New Zealand Art.—This exhibition was organized by the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts at the request of the Board of Trustees, the Trustees making a grant of £50 towards the expenses. An effort was made to show the historical development of New Zealand painting and to bring together the best available works of present-day New Zealand artists. The result was a collection of pictures and sculpture which demonstrated that, although we cannot yet claim to have developed a New Zealand School of Painting, the Dominion has produced some artists of outstanding ability. An appeal was made to New Zealand Art Galleries and private owners, resulting in a magnificent response. Every gallery in New Zealand lent pictures for the occasion. The Trustees wish to record their gratefulness to all those who kindly assisted by lending works of art. (6) A Selection of the National Permanent Collection was also shown. Other Exhibitions.—The opening exhibitions were followed in October by a collection of 150 pictures by Australian, British, and foreign artists generously lent by the Trustees of the National Gallery of New South Wales and a number of pictures sent by living Australian artists and New Zealand artists resident in Australia. This exhibition was the result of a visit to Australia by Mr. J. M. Ellis, a member of the Board of Trustees of the National Gallery at the time. The Trustees desire to record their appreciation of the generous action of the authorities of the Sydney Art Gallery in lending these works. The Auckland, Christchurch, and Wanganui Galleries made representations for permission to exhibit the collection in their centres, and the National Gallery undertook the arrangements for the extended itinerary of the collection.
In February a most interesting collection of family and other portraits and engravings in colour illustrating the costumes worn at the Coronation of King, George IV, lent by His Excellency the Governor-General, Viscount Galway, were exhibited. The portraits included paintings by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Sir Nathaniel Dance, Thomas Hudson, Michael Dahl, Downman, and Cosway. The Trustees wish to express their thanks for the loan of these works and to record their appreciation of the kind and practical interest which His Excellency has shown in the Art Gallery since its opening. Other important exhibitions have taken place since the period under review, notably the Harvey Collection of old Dutch and Flemish Masters (arranged through the Empire Art Loan Collections Society) ; collection of etchings from the Twenty-one Gallery, London ; and exhibition of present-day printing (arranged through the Graphics Committee) ; and others are in prospect. Carnegie Corporation's Grant for the Purchase of Reproductions. The Trustees have received a grant of £1,000 from the Carnegie Corporation of New York to be used for the purchase of reproductions of pictures. It is intended to obtain a collection of facsimile reproductions of old and modern masterpieces representing all schools of art from the earliest times up to the present day. These will be used in connection with lectures for educational purposes, and their value in this way will be inestimable. As it is quite impossible for this Gallery to acquire a collection of original old masters, it is felt that the excellent reproductions which are now obtainable will be far more valuable to students than second-rate originals. General. Lectures. —During the year a number of interesting lectures were given gratuitously by members of the Management Committee and others. These have undoubtedly been of great value to visitors in helping them to understand and enjoy the pictures. School Students. —It has been the policy of the Trustees to encourage the schools to bring their students to the Art Gallery. Thousands of school pupils visited the loan exhibitions in parties, and were admitted free of charge. It is the aim of the Trustees to foster the cultivation and appreciation of art in the community, and to educate public taste and opinion. The greatly increased opportunities of seeing the works of great artists afforded to the public through the medium of loan exhibitions since the opening of the Gallery have undoubtedly stimulated interest in art. During the first month after the opening ceremony thousands of visitors viewed the exhibitions, and the attendance far exceeded expectations. With adequate funds and staff, the educational activities of the Gallery could be extended to an unlimited degree'. At present the Gallery is seriously handicapped by lack of funds, and the most urgent problem which faces the Trustees is to remedy this deficiency so that the Gallery can pursue an active educational policy. The National Collection. During the year some notable additions were made to the National Collection. The Gallery has at present little money available for the purchase of pictures, but, chiefly owing to the generosity of public-spirited citizens, a number of valuable works have been acquired. It is gratifying to note that some of these have been donations from overseas. The Gallery will, later on, benefit from the Sir Harold Beauchamp Endowment Fund (now approximately £11,000), the interest on which will be available for purchase of pictures when it accumulates to £15,000, and the " Ellen Eames Collection Fund," payable on the death of certain life-tenants, estimated to realize at least £20,000. Prior to the erection of the new Art Gallery, a number of pictures, &c., were presented for inclusion in the National Collection. These pictures were entrusted to the care of the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, and were handed over by that body to the National Art Gallery. Included in the collection were :— Portrait of Sir Harold Beauchamp (oil painting), by the late W. A. Bowring. Presented by Lady Beauchamp. A number of pictures from the Baillie Collection brought to New Zealand in 1913. Purchased by public subscription and private gift. Collection of china, furniture, pictures, bronzes, &c., bequeathed by the late Dr. W. E. Collins. Collection of oils, water-colours, and drawings by the late Petrus Van der Yelden. Presented by Sir George A. Troup. The New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts also handed over its permanent collection, valued at £13,619. This collection represented the works acquired by the Academy by way of gifts, purchases, and through public subscription- during the last fifty years, and included several pictures purchased by the Academy with funds granted by the Board of Governors of the T. G. Macarthy Trust. In addition, the following gifts have been accepted by the Board of Trustees :— 1. " Quatre Bras," by Veriker Hamilton. Presented by Mrs. Yeriker Hamilton (England). 2. Bronze figures, " Girl and Faun," by Dalou. Presented by H. McKay, Esq. 3. " After Rain " (oil painting), by Quinquella Martin. Presented by Sir Percy Sargood. 4. " Peace in her Loneliness, Lledyr Valley, Wales " (oil painting), by S. J. Lamorna Birch, R.A. „Presented by Sir George Shirtcliffe. 5. Portrait of the late Sir Robert Stout, by Archibald F. Nicoll (oil painting). Presented by members of Sir Robert Stout's family.
6. " Moses becomes the Soil of Pharoah's Daughter " (terra-cotta panel), by George Tinworth. Presented by L. J. Hooper, Esq. (London). 7. " A Summer Idyll," by H. P. Clifford, R.B.A. (oil painting), and water-colour, by Frances Hodgkins. Presented by Mrs. Charles Elgar. 8. A collection of New Zealand pictures by Sydney Thompson, Nugent Welch, C. H. Howarth, Menzies Gibb, John Gully, and W. M. Hodgkins. Presented by Captain J. Mills on behalf of his father, the late Sir James Mills. 9. " An Oxen Plough Team and Ploughman on the Sussex Downs," by J. C. Dollman, R.W.S. (oil painting). Presented by Captain Guy C. Dollman (England). 10. " Portrait of His Late Majesty King George V " (oil painting), by John St. Helier Lander. Presented by T. B. Davis, Esq. (South Africa). 11. " A Carrier's Stable" (oil painting), by George Morland. Presented by the Hon. Alexander and Lady Shaw (London). 12. Two architectural drawings by Ferdinando Galli da Bibiena. Presented by C. Reginald Ford, Esq. 13. " Portrait of Sir James Allen " (oil painting), by Archibald F. Nicoll. Presented by public subscription. 14. " Portrait of the late Sir Francis Bell," by Archibald F. Nicoll (oil painting). Presented to Sir Francis Bell's family by public subscribers and offered by the family for permanent exhibition in the National Art Gallery. 15. " Lambton Harbour from Khandallah Track " (oil painting), by Nugent H. Welch. Presented by the Wellington Harbour Board. 16. " Wellington Harbour" (oil painting), by Archibald F. Nicoll. Presented by the Wellington Harbour Board. 17. " Shipping, Wellington Harbour" (oil painting), by Sydney Lough Thompson. Presented by the Wellington Harbour Board. 18. " Head of an Old Man" (etching), by Mina, Arndt (Mrs. Manoy). Presented by Mrs. P. H. Nathan. 19. " Self Portrait " (oil painting), by Dame Laura Knight, R.A., R.W.S. Presented by Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Ewen. 20. " A Wharfdale Landscape," by John Cole. Presented by Messrs. A. G. and J. G. Smith. 21. "The Old White Gum" (water-colour), by Hans Heysen. Presented by Messrs. J. R. McKenzie, Ltd. 22. " Behind the Scenes " (water-colour), by Dame Laura Knight, R.A., R.W.S. Presented by the Wellington Savage Club. 23. "My Own Freshening River" (oil painting), by S. J. Lamorna Birch, R.A., R.W.S. Presented by an anonymous donor. 24. " Spring in an English Orchard " (oil painting), by Fred Footet, R.B.A. Presented by Miss A. M. Alexander, England. 25. " Still Life " (oil painting) and " Katwick " (water-colour), by Emily M. Paterson, R.W.S. Presented by the family of the artist. 26. " Portrait of the late John Newton, Esq.," by James Nairn. Bequeathed by the late Alexander Newton, Esq. 27. " Rhododendron," " Mt. Egmont," and " The First Seven of Seventy " (water-colours), by Miss D. K. Richmond, and "An Old Barn " (pencil study), by J. S. Cotman. Presented by the nieces and nephews of the late Miss D. K. Richmond. 28. " The Hamlet," by Arnesby Brown, R.A. (oil painting). Purchased by the Trustees of the National Art Gallery with part of the proceeds of the British Empire Loan Collection. 29. " Old Gateway, Bruges " (water-colour), by Frank Brangwyn, R.A. Purchased by the Trustees of the National Art Gallery with part of the proceeds of the British Empire Loan Collection. 30. " Storm on the Meon," by Sir Charles Holmes (water-colour). Purchased by public subscription. 31. " Street of the Leather Merchants, Tetuan," by James Mcßey (water-colour). Purchased by the Trustees of the National Art Gallery with funds donated by Messrs. John Newton and Son, Ltd., Wellington. 32. " Three Boys " (oil painting), by B. Fleetwood Walker, R. 0.1. Purchased by the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts with funds granted for this purpose by the Board of Governors of the Thomas George Macarthy Trust. 33. " The Garden Wall " (oil painting), by Sir Charles Holmes. Purchased by the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts with funds granted for this purpose by the Board of Governors of the Thomas George Macarthy Trust. 34. " Lord Rutherford of Nelson " (oil painting), by Oswald Birley. A parting gift to Nejv Zealand from Lord Bledisloe, Governor-General, 1930-1935. 35. " Portrait of the late Archbishop Redwood " (oil painting), by F. V. Ellis. Presented by St. Patrick College Old Boys' Association. 36. Collection of pictures by the late J. C. Richmond (water-colours and drawings). Pre sented by Esmond Atkinson, Esq., on behalf of the late Miss D. K. Richmond. 37. " Portrait of Lord Bledisloe, Governor-General, 1930-1935 " (oil painting) by John A. A. Berrie. Purchased by public subscription and by donation from the Harold Beauchamp Fund for the purchase of pictures for the National Art Gallery.
38. " Portrait of Sir James Mills " (oil painting), by Sir William Llewellyn, P.R.A. Presented by the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand, Ltd. _ 39. " Portrait of Sir Truby King " (oil painting), by M. E. R. Tripe. Presented by Kantane Products Society. 40. "Portrait of Sir George Troup" (oil painting), by Archibald 1. Nicoll. by Citizens of Wellington District in recognition of Sir George Troup's outstanding services towards the establishment of the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum. 41. " Shandon Landscape " (water-colour), by Nugent H. Welch. Presented by the Rotary Club of Wellington. 42. Two original drawings by the late George Du Maurier. Presented by the trustees ol the artist's estate. 43 " Carillon," by Captain Longstaffe. Oil painting presented by Lord Wakefield. 44. Copy of " Mona Lisa " (da Vinci). Oil painting presented by the artist, Professor 45. " Canberra," by Robert Johnson. Oil painting presented by the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia. 46. " Otira Gorge," by Petrus Van der Velden. Oil painting presented by Sir Charles Norwood. 47 Pencil sketch by Van der Velden. Presented by Mr. Max Gandar. 48. Pohutukawas, Piha," by S. J. Lamorna Birch, R.A. Presented by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Clabburn. , •. „,, , , A number of pictures have been loaned for exhibition in the Gallery, including portraits of the late Right Hon. R. J. Seddon, the late Right Hon. W. F. Massey, and the late Captain William Hobson, loaned by the Speaker of the House of Representatives ; several paintings loaned by Sir Truby King , portrait of the late Right Hon. W. F. Massey (by Augustus John), loaned by the Bank of England ; portraits of the late Right Hon. John Ballance, loaned by the family of the late Right Hon. K J. Seddon ; the late Sir H. A. Atkinson, K.C.M.G., and Rev. Samuel Marsden, lent by the Turnbull Llbr The Gallery has also benefited by the transfer of a number of pictures belonging to the Government, notably the Chevalier Collection of Water-colours and a collection of Rembrandt etchings. A copy of the biography of Sir James Guthrie, P.R.S.A., was presented to the Art Gallery Library by Sir F. C. Gardiner, K.B.E. _ i ■ + j j -At A number of pictures, ofiered as gifts, were declined as not reaching the standard required lor a National Collection. „ . The thanks of the Trustees and of the public generally are due to the donors for their generous and public spirited gifts. R
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE DOMINION MUSEUM COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT FOR YEAR ENDED 31st MARCH, 1937. Museum Management Committee. Six meetings of the Committee were held during the year. Transfer to New Building. The outstanding event of the past year was the transfer of the Museum collections from the old building in Museum Street to the new building in Buckle Street, and the taking over by the Boa,rd of Trustees of the collections and staff. The actual removal of the collections was commenced on Ist April 1936, and occupied about a month. During June and July the show-cases were completed and the exhibits were arranged concurrently, several assistants being temporarily employed up to the time of opening to the public. The opening ceremony was performed by His Excellency Lord Gaiway, Governor-General, on Ist August, 1936. Subsequent to this, date the unpacking of the collections and their distribution in the workrooms on the ground floor has occupied, and still is occupying, a considerable part of the time of the staff. In the Maori and mollusca sections much of the material is still unpacked. . . , . . The collection of kauri-gum purchased from Mr. F. 0. Peat, of Titirangi, was received m time to be shown on the opening day. The Turanga Maori meeting-house was built into the Museum, and the public are admitted, it is, however incomplete. Unfortunately Mr. T. Heberley, who was carving the missing portions, died last January ; but at the time of his death he had carved a sufficient amount of timber to complete, with a little adjustment, the meeting-house. . The contents of the Newtown Museum were transferred to the new building m October, i J3b, and served further to congest the rooms on the ground floor. As a considerable amount of shelving and numbers of store cabinets still are required, also further scientific assistance, it will be some time beiore the collections will all be unpacked and classified. No serious damage was done to the collections during the transfer from the old to the new building. Staff. The death of Mr. T. H. Heberley, which occurred on 15th January, 1937, is recorded with regret. Mr. Heberley was an expert Maori carver and a conscientious worker, and during the time he was employed he carved a number of pieces to complete the canoes and patakas exhibited in the Museum.
Maori Collections. As stated, a fair proportion of the collections still remain in packing-cases. The Bollons Collection, however, has been unpacked, classified, and listed, while the work of classifying other Maori material also has been carried out. The principal additions by donations were made by Lady Kinsey, a large series of stone adzes, weapons, and ornaments ; Mrs. T. R. Moore, a valuable greenstone heitiki and other articles; Mrs. F. W. Vosseler, a collection of stone adzes from Terawhiti; and Mr. Byron Brown, various articles. Foreign Ethnological Collections. Practically all the material other than that exhibited has been assembled in one workroom and classified according to countries of origin. Several valuable donations have been received during the past year. Among them are Polynesian and Melanesian articles from Lady Kinsey ; African articles from Mr. and Mrs. G. Day and from Mrs. H. H. Ostler ; Australian material from Messrs. Burns, Philp, and Co., and from the National Museum, Melbourne ; and Belgium brass articles from Miss Dasent. A pueblo mug has been placed on loan by Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Sticht. Ceramics. The only important additions were a collection, mainly of English porcelain, but containing also three large Sevres vases from Lady Kinsey and some Japanese vases from Mr. R. F. Blair. During the first six months that the new building was opened to the public there was exhibited a collection containing some very fine pieces of china lent by the Cawthron Institute, Nelson. Postage Stamps. A collection comprising 457 kinds of unused postage stamps of New Zealand and its dependencies was presented by the Post and Telegraph Department. It is displayed in frames under blinds in the Foreign Ethnology Hall. New Zealand History. 1 he greater portion of the exhibited collection consists of a series of enlarged photographs donated by the Wellington Harbour Board. A model of Captain Cook's "Endeavour" was donated by the Harbour Board. 1' our large photographs, illustrating the ports of Auckland, Wellington, Lyttelton, and Dunedin, were presented by the Wellington Chamber of Commerce. On loan there has been received from His Excellency the Governor-General, Captain Cook's communion cup and case. Mammal Collection. With the exception of whale skeletons, the collection has been assembled in the mammal-room. The only addition of importance was the skeleton of a rare whale (Meso'plodon hectori), retrieved by the Museum staff at Plimmerton in January, 1937. This is the only skeleton of this species that has been preserved. In September last the Director visited the Wanganui Museum to examine the skeleton of a new species of whale, and as a result a description was read at the meeting of the Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science in Auckland, and subsequently was forwarded for publication to the Zoological Society of London. Bird Collection. The bird collection is being classified gradually as shelving is made available in the bird-room. Additions to the collection have included only birds found dead and sent in by the finders and foreign birds received from aviculturalists. The thanks of the Board are due to the donors who thus spontaneously benefited the Museum. Fish Collection. The transfer of the fish collections, comprising some hundreds of spirit specimens in glass jars, was carried out successfully. Several sharks taken in Wellington Harbour during the past summer have been received at the Museum. Of these, casts have been made of a perlon presented by Mr. N. W. Thomas, a tope presented by Mr. J. Kershaw, and a tiger-shark presented by Mr. A. Fishburn. •Entomological Department. The transfer of the extensive insect collections from the old building was safely accomplished without damage to any of the specimens. Prior to the opening on Ist August of the new building, the work of the Department was concentrated on the arranging and setting-up of the insect displays. During the remainder of the year considerable progress has been made with the setting of the large collections of unmounted insects, and work has progressed on the preparation of new exhibits for the galleries. The work of rearranging the collections, so urgently needed, cannot be started until new cabinets have been provided, and the problem of adequately storing the continually-growing collections is becoming increasingly difficult. Notable accessions during the year include : A collection comprising specimens of sixty-eight New Zealand moths and Trichoptera from Mr. G. Y. Hudson ; a series of specimens of parasitic insects from the Cawthron Institute ; a complete exhibit depicting sericulture in Japan, from the Central Raw Silk Association of Japan ; specimens of silk cocoons and raw silk from Mr. Williamson and Mr.
T. Bailey, of Wellington. A series of enlarged photomicrographs of insects was presented by Mr. D. Macready Armstrong ; Mr. Earp, of the Department of Agriculture, presented two excellent charts depicting the life-history of the honey-bee ; and the Department of Agriculture supplied a number of specimens relating to the bee, which were formed into an exhibit for circulation around the New Zealand museums under the Carnegie Exchange Scheme. Exchanges have been completed during the year with the Canterbury Museum for 101 specimens of New Zealand moths not represented in our collections, and with Mr. W. 0. Steel, of London, for fifty English beetles. A large number of miscellaneous specimens have been acquired in the course of identifications made for the general public, business firms, &c. This service of the Department is being increasingly demanded. During the year several studebts, including some notable visitors from abroad, have visited the reference collections. Botanical Department. The major activities of the year have been the acquisition and preparation of exhibits for show in the new buildings, and the rearrangement of all the Museum herbaria consequent upon the transfer to new quarters. In the last quarter of the year it has been possible to proceed again with the routine work of investigation, mounting, and arrangement of the large quantity of stored material in the Petrie, Kirk, and Cockayne herbaria preparatory to incorporating it in the Museum Herbarium. Gifts of timber specimens and of a donation given specially for this purpose made it possible to build up an exhibit of forty species of native and exotic timbers, practically all of which were dressed and polished in the Museum. An innovation has been made by the maintenance in the exhibition hall of a changing series of live botanical specimens and growing plants, many of which were propagated in the Department for this purpose. Additions to the collections include extensive series from California forwarded as an exchange from the University of California ; plants from Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands, collected and presented by Captain McComish ; also a series of European plants from Dr. Fettweis, Germany, and of xerophytes from the Desert Laboratory, Arizona. Gifts added to the botanical collections include two models of tea-plants from the Ceylon Tea Propaganda Board; enlarged photographs from Mr. W. C. Davies; exhibition timber from the Queensland Forest Service, New Zealand State Forest Service, Billiards Ltd., New Zealand Sawmillers' Federation, Messrs. Latta Bros., and Wm. Cook and Sons, Ltd.; a collection of named algas from Mr. Scarfe ; a cane-sugar exhibit from the Colonial Sugar Refining Co. ; rubber and cotton from the Firestone Tire Co. ; cotton-growing exhibit from the Queensland Agricultural Department; and flax products from Dr. Yeates and Wellington Cordage Co. Exhibits received on loan include a collection of botanical photographs from Mr. W. C. Davies, inlaid shield of New Zealand woods from the Wadestown Beautifying Society, inlaid cabinet and violin made from New Zealand woods from Mr. J. Williamson, a violin case of New Zealand woods from Mr. Grady, an exhibit of New Zealand woods from Mr. 0. A. Everingham, a collection of New Zealand silver-beech-wood products from Wood Products, Ltd. Since last March Mr. T. Healey has spent a good deal of time in the herbarium assisting with the work of classifying the specimens, and the thanks of the Board are due to him for this work. Geological Department. The work of this Department for the year consisted principally in the arrangement of the displays in the new show-cases. Work on the unpacking and classifying of the extensive mineral collections is being held up pending the arrival of new storage cabinets. A number of notable accessions were received during the year, chief amongst which was a display of New Zealand building stones from Dr. P. Marshall. An extensive collection of calcite and other mineral specimens, many very beautiful indeed, was received from Lady Kinsey. An exhibit depicting iron and steel manufacture came in response to overtures made to the Broken Hill Proprietary, Ltd., of Australia, through Messrs. Gillies and Laird, of Wellington. A number of negatives and slides illustrating the structure of coal were received from Mr. H. W. Lawton. Many samples of rocks and minerals have been received from geologists and collectors all over New Zealand. Inquiries from the public appear to be increasing and show that more interest is being taken in the Geological Section of the Museum. Library. The general collection of books is contained in the main library in the new building which has been furnished with seven double stacks as well as shelving on three walls. During the past year the periodicals have been received regularly, and new exchange relations have been established with several overseas museums. Most of the periodicals received are in exchange for the New Zealand Journal of Science and Technology, which is issued and despatched monthly. A few books have been purchased, and thanks are due to the following donors for books presented to the library : British Museum, American Museum of Natural History, Carnegie Corporation of New York, Lord Kilbracker, Mr. T. Lindsay Buick, Miss C. Godley, Mr. H. W. Lawton, and Dr. W. B. B. Oliver. Photographic Department. The Photographic Department is now housed in suitable quarters. Since settling into the new building attention has been paid to the equipment of the studio and dark-rooms, and several pieces of essential apparatus and fittings have been added. When this work is completed the studio and darkrooms will be excellently equipped and able to cope adequately with the requirements of the Museum.
The registration of the negatives has been completed, there now being 9,227 recorded and filedaway, but new negative-storage cabinets are urgently required. During the past year 326 new negatives were produced and added to the recorded collection, and several hundreds of prints and enlargements have been made for various purposes. With the acquisition of a cinematograph camera attention has been paid to the production of educational films for use in Museum lectures, and a start has been made on a film in colour of the Red Admiral butterfly, while a film of Maori eeling activities is well on the way to completion. A film entitled " Maori Days " was received on permanent loan from the Tourist Department, and several films have been purchased. The collection of films useful for educational purposes now amounts to five. The projection equipment in the lecture hall on all occasions has given every satisfaction. Lectures to School-children. Lectures in the Museum lecture hall to children attending secondary schools were commenced in March, 1937, but after three lectures were given the course was suspended on account of the epidemic of infantile paralysis. The attendance was over six hundred, and the lectures were illustrated by specimens, slides, and films. In addition, a total of 125 children attended the Museum by arrangement and were given lecturettes on the exhibits. Here it may be recorded that numerous classes in charge of teachers have visited the Museum and have not required the direction of members of the staff. Press Reports. With a view to bringing the Museum and its activities more before the public, arrangements were made with the two local daily newspapers for the publication of articles written by members of the Museum Staff. Between 3rd September, 1936, and 31st March, 1937, fifty-six articles appeared. Chinese Art Exhibition. A loan exhibition of Chinese art, under the curatorship of Captain Humphreys-Davies, was held in the Museum during March and April, 1937, and attracted a large number of visitors. A grant of £200 towards the publication of a guide-book was promised by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, and £300 was provided by the Government for general purposes. Exchange Exhibits. A system of exchange displays among the museums at Auckland, New Plymouth, Wanganui, Napier, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch, and Dunedin was inaugurated towards the end of last year by a committee of the Carnegie Corporation of New York, which supplied the show-cases and is paying the cost of transport for a period of three years. Art Galleries and Museums Association of Australia and New Zealand. A resolution that such an association be formed was passed by the Conference of Curators of Art Galleries and Museums held at Melbourne in May, 1936, and the Association was founded at a meeting of curators held at Auckland in January, 1937. ; Museums Conference. A conference of Museum and Art Gallery curators, organized by the Carnegie Corporation of New York and held in Melbourne in May, 1936, was attended by the Director. Meeting of the Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science. The biannual meeting of this Association was held in Auckland in January, 1937, and was attended by the Director and Miss Sutherland. A paper on a new species of whale was read by the Director, and one on " Sustained Yield of Forestry in New Zealand " by Miss M. Sutherland. Attendance. The attendance by the public at the Museum and Art Gallery was very large for the first four weeks, the estimated total being 80,000. Subsequently, it is estimated that on an average there have been 3,000 visitors per week, making an estimated total of 170,000 for the first seven months that the building was open to the public. W. R. B. Oliver, Director.
ANNUAL REPORT OF CARILLON COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT FOR YEAR ENDED 31st MARCH, 1937. During the past year the Carillon Committee has met as required. Programmes of carillon music continue to be played on war anniversaries as set out in the handbook and broadcasts over 2YA have taken place on the third Sunday in each month from 3 p.m. to 3.1.5 p.m. Many difficulties have been overcome, and latest reports of reception at distant receivingsets show that a measure of success has been obtained. During the year the Old Contemptibles Association, Navy League, and Army Nurses' Association have placed wreaths on appropriate dates. A visiting party of bowlers from Queensland also placed a wreath. The following visited the Carillon His Excellency the Governor-General. Her Excellency Lady Galway. Dr. Malcolm Sargent. Right Hon. the Prime Minister. Hon. D. G. Sullivan. Hon. H. G. R. Mason. Hon. W. Parry. Hon. F. Langstone. Mr. R. A. Wright, M.P. Mr. C. H. Chapman, M.P. Twelve hundred visitors (including Navy and school-children). Since Ist April, 520 people paid for admission. A lift has been ordered and will be erected in the near future, and we can expect a much larger number of visitors to ascend the tower. The carilloneuse, Miss Watkins, resigned during the year owing to ill-health, and consequently the bells have had to be played solely by the automatic machine The firm of Gillet and Johnson, which supplied the carillon, were unable to supply suitable rolls, but the Carillon Society were able, with the assistance of Miss Watkins, to make very satisfactory rolls and the repertoire is being constantly added to. There are now thirty-two rolls available. The Carillon Society paid £25 for these rolls. The rolls are punched and put together by the technician, and are more satisfactory than those originally supplied when the automatic player was first installed. The members of Toe H have given invaluable assistance in obtaining material for effecting repairs and conducting visitors over the tower. The motor purchased by the trustees has been of great assistance in the work entailed in maintenance. Arrangements are being made to collect war trophies for exhibition m the vacant chambers of the tower. The Union Steam Ship Co. has generously donated the following bells' of ships which had war service and which have been disposed of : — s.s. " Maheno " (first hospital ship). s.s. " Marama." s.s. " Monowai " (Transport No. 2). It is hoped that the chambers will be finished in order to form a worthy background to the many objects of historical and sentimental value which have been offered. The Wellington War Memorial Carillon Committee obtained tentative plans and sketch of the proposed Hall of Memories, and the Council of the Returned Soldiers' Association passed amotion (nem con.) that the Government be asked to complete the National War Memorial by finding the funds for the erection of the Hall of Memories, which formed, part of the original plan. Alfred Cowxes, Chairman. J. G. Osborne, Hon. Secretary.
NATIONAL ART GALLERY AND DOMINION MUSEUM BOARD OF TRUSTEES. Treasurer's Report. The year covered by the accounts with which this report deals was an eventful «ne, iir that from Ist August, 1936, the National Art Gallery and Dominion Museum commenced to function as a joint concern under Board management and in entirely new surroundings and under entirely new conditions. The land, buildings, and ground improvements represent capital of over £234,000, and there is yet as least another £3,000 to be expended on beautifying the .grounds.and .improving, the roads. Every penny of this sum has been paid, and it is a matter of gratification to record the prompt way in which the Treasury met responses to requests for payment as the building progressed, and to the general public for payment of subscriptions promised prior to the depression, when money was much
more plentiful. It is interesting to note here that the sum of £84,914 was subscribed by the public which sum earned interest of £15,218. There is only £1,100 outstanding in subscriptions now. The (government has made the greater contribution to the building, its share being— £ Cash subsidy 100)000 Lash grant : Carillon tower.. . . . . .. 25 qqq Grant: Employment Fund. . . . . . .. 7' 550 Land at valuation.. .. .. . . 3Q' qqq £152,650 A further £5,000 from Employment Funds has been promised. I beg to submit the following financial statements for the financial year Ist April, 1936 to the 31st March, 1937, which have been certified correct by the Controller and Auditor-General (1) Balance-sheet. (2) Statement of Income and Expenditure balances at 31st March, 1937. (3) Main Income and Expenditure Account. (4) Tea-rooms Account. (5) Catalogues Account. Balance-sheet. The assets aggregate £332,675 and this with rather low valuations of the Art Gallery Collection and the Museum exhibits. The carillon bells have not yet been included in the assets. The liquid assets are only £1,884, of which £1,245 is earmarked for special purposes detailed under liabilities in the balance-sheet. Main Income and Expenditure Account. _ This account discloses a most disappointing position. Even with the exercise of stringent economy 111 administration, the Board's revenue exceeded its actual expenditure by only £143. No provision whatever has been made for depreciation, a policy which, if allowed to continue, will, I feel sure, have serious consequences, lor instance, the steel window-frames should be painted at least every two years to preserve them from rust; the stone will probably require treatment; and there is always the possibility of damage through roof-leakage consequent on heavy rains, earthquakes, &c. As mentioned m my report of 4th January last, the depreciation set aside and funded each year should be not less than £2,000, and this reserved from revenue. I think I am right in saying that the efforts of the Director of the Museum have been hampered through lack of finance, the staff is not up to requirements numerically, and there is no margin for exhibit improvement. To remedy these and other necessities, the Board requires at least £12,200 to function efficiently, the principal headings of expenditure being— Salaries Other items .. .. .. ~ ~ _ # 2 700 Depreciation .. .. .. .. . _ 3 000 Capital expenditure : Exhibits of pictures .. . . .. .. ' 200 £12,200 As against this probable expenditure the revenue in sight at present is— £ Government grant .. .. .. .. .. _ 7 qqq Wellington City Council .. .. .. .. l'ooo New Zealand Academy and Carillon .. . . . . .. ~ ' jgQ Sundry receipts .. .. .. .. .. 250 Rental .. .. .. .. ~ . £8,500 O'n these figures the deficiency is £3,700. Tea-rooms. The tea-rooms showed an excess over actual expenditure of £223, which is sufficient justification for the continued opening of the rooms. F. B. Dwyer, Treasurer.
Main Income and Expenditure Account fob the Year Ist April, 1936, to the 31st March, 1937. Expenditure. Income. Salaries. £s. d. £ s. d. £ s. d. £ s. d. Executive officers .. .. 300 0 0 Rentals .. .. .. .. .. 63 8 6 Dominion Museum and attendants 3,720 0 2 Contributions— National Art Gallery and Carillon 360 16 9 New Zealand Government .. 7,000 0 0 — 4,380 16 11 Less expenditure charged to ConFuel, light, water, and gas .. .. . . 753 6 6 solidated Fund for period Ist Office requisites .. .. .. .. 12 4 6 April, 1936, to 31st July, 1936 1,550 9 3 Photographic supplies .. .. .. .. 75 5 8 Advertising .. .. .. .. 40 19 11 5,449 10 9 Printing and stationery .. .. .. .. 164 5 4 Wellington City Council .. 500 0 0 Freight and cartage .. .. .. . . 29 18 6 New Zealand Academy of Fine Subscriptions to societies .. .. .. 37 14 9 Arts .. .. .. 116 13 4 Uniforms and overcoats .. .. .. 5 13 3 Carillon Society .. .. 33 6 8 Travelling allowances and expenses .. . . 93 10 8 6,099 10 9 Telephones .. .. .. .. .. 93 10 2 Cloak-room receipts .. .. .. 43 8 9 Specimens and pictures, preparation of .. . . 46 19 7 Collection-boxes .. .. .. 29 5 3 Postage .. .. .. .. .. 48 5 6 Publications, sale of .. .. .. 8 5 0 Insurances .. .. .. .. .. 43 13 8 Cleaning .. .. .. .. .. 90 12 5 Repairs and maintenance .. .. . • 9 3 6 Exhibition of Old Masters .. .. .. 24 17 11 Opening ceremony .. .. .. . . 128 0 5 Contingencies .. .. .. .. .. 16 6 0 New South Wales collection .. .. .. 5 12 7 Balance, carried to Income and Expenditure Balances Account .. .. .. .. .. 143 0 6 « £6,243 18 3 £6,243 18 3 Tea-rooms Account. Dr. £ s. d. Gr. £ s. d. Foodstuffs .. .. .. .. .. 397 411 Receipts: Afternoon teas, suppers, &c. .. .. 1,015 17 5 Wages of Manageress and service staff .. .. 333 4 9 General expenses : Laundering, flowers, &c. .. 61 9 7 Balance, carried to Income and Expenditure Balances Account .. .. .. .. .. 223 18 2 £1,015 17 5 £1,015 17 5 Catalogues Account. Dr. £ s. d. Gr. £ s. d. Printing .. .. .. .. .. 242 711 Sales .. .. .. .. .. .. 276 17 0 Balance, carried to Income and Expenditure Balance Account .. .. .. .. 34 9 1 £276 17 0 £276 17 0 Income and Expenditure Balances at 31st March, 1937. Dr. £ s. d. Cr. £ s. d. Tea-rooms Account .. .. .. .. 223 18 2 Accumulated Fund Account .. .. .. 401 7 9 Catalogues Account .. .. .. .. 34 9 1 Main Income and Expenditure Account .. .. 143 0 6 £401 7 9 £401 7 9
Balance-sheet as at 31st March, 1937. Liabilities. Assets. Capital liability— £ s. d. £s. d. Public subscriptions, including £ s. d. £ s. d. Land .. .. .. 30,000 0 0 net proceeds of carnival .. 85,447 17 1 Buildings .. .. .. 194,175 0 9 Less subscription collection Approach steps and terraces .. 4,300 0 0 expenses .. .. 533 1 5 Ground improvements .. .. 5,551 8 6 — 234,026 9 3 84,914 15 8 Museum exhibits .. .. 50,034 8 4 Accumulated in- Art Gallery exhibits .. .. 27,000 0 0 tcrest on Furnishings .. .. .. 17,740 111 fixed de- Library .. .. .. 488 3 1 posits— £ s. d. Gardening tools .. .. 6 0 2 Public Trustee 13,732 1 7 Mechanical appliances .. .. 87 13 11 Bank of New Cinematograph equipment .. 636 1 0 Zealand .. 105 15 0 Tea-rooms equipment .. .. 604 7 0 Tools .. .. . . 67 17 3 13,837 16 7 Photographic apparatus.. .. 99 14 1 Interest 96,764 6 9 credited to Sir Harold Beauchamp Trust .. .. 217 11 10 Current Ac- Sundry debtors .. .. 182 8 3 count .. 1,380 7 0 Investment, Public Trustee .. 531 311 15,218 3 7 Advances .. .. .. 27 2 5 New Zealand Academy of Pine Cash at bankers .. .. 925 3 0 Arts: Value of picture collec- Cash in hand .. .. . . 16 0 tion .. .. .. 27,000 0 0 1,667 3 7 New Zealand Gov e r n ment contributions — £ s. d. Cash subsidy 100,000 0 0 Cash grant— Carillon Tower .. 15,000 0 0 Employment Fund .. 7,650 0 0 122,651) 0 0 Land .. 30,000 0 0 Museum exhibits .. 50,000 0 0 Museum library .. 485 2 1 Furniture .. 333 0 2 M e c hanical appliances 25 18 11 Tools .. 67 17 3 Photographic apparatus 99 14 1 81,011 12 6 330,794 11 9 Accumulated Fund- —• Profits— Tea-rooms .. .. .. 223 18 2 Sale of catalogues .. . . 34 9 1 Main Income and Expenditure Account .. .. .. 143 0 6 401 7 9 Special reserves— Sir Harold Beauchamp Trust .. 217 11 10 Picture-purchase Fund .. .. 11 10 3 Subscription, Suspense Account .. 10 0 0 Profit, Empire Art Loan Collection 722 9 8 Balance of grant, Chinese Art Exhibition.. .. .. •• 283 15 5 • 1,245 7 2 Sundry creditors .. .. .. .. 234 4 9 £332,675 11 5 £332,675 11 5 F. B. Dwyer, Treasurer. The Audit Office, having examined the balance-sheet and accompanying accounts required by law to be audited hereby certifies them to be correct subject to the following exemption : The expenditure of moneys of the Board on the purchase of a wreath is without authority of law. —J. H. Fowler, Controller and Auditor-General.
Approximate Cost of Paper.—Preparation, not given ; printing (1,050 copies, including illustrations), £27 10s.
By Authority: E. V. Paul, Government Printer, Wellington.—l 937.
General View of National Art Gallery, Dominion Museum, and Carrilon Tower.
Dominion Museum. Maori Hall, showing War Canoes, Pataka (Food House) and entrance to the Turanga Maori Meeting-house.
National Art Gallery, West Wing.
Permanent link to this item
H-21 NATIONAL ART GALLERY AND DOMINION MUSEUM. REPORT OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31st MARCH, 1937., Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1 January 1937
H-21 NATIONAL ART GALLERY AND DOMINION MUSEUM. REPORT OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31st MARCH, 1937. Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1 January 1937
Using This Item
Copyright in the Appendices of the Journals of the House of Representatives (AJHRs) may be held by:
• the Clerk of the House of Representatives
• third parties (which may include government agencies, political parties, or people that have made submissions or others).
In some cases
• no copyright may exist (such as Government bills, parliamentary debates and reports of select committees), or
• copyright may have expired (including Crown copyright in works published before 1 January 1945).
Clerk of the House of Representatives
Where the Clerk of the House of Representatives owns copyright in the AJHRs, the Clerk has licensed that copyright under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence (CC BY 4.0). This means you are free to copy, distribute and adapt the material, as long as you attribute it to the Clerk of the House of Representatives and abide by the other licence terms.
Third party copyright
If the copyright is held by third parties, the Clerk of the House of Representatives and the National Library cannot grant permission to reproduce or otherwise use material. It is your responsibility to make sure you have permission to re-use this content from the copyright holder.
If you are unsure if copyright in an item is held by a third party, please contact us for assistance at email@example.com
If there is no copyright, or if copyright has expired in any material in the AJHRs, there are no copyright restrictions on your use of that material.
We ask that you acknowledge the National Library as the source of the information. If the material is republished online, we would appreciate a link to where you found the information on this site.