Taihape Daily Times masthead


Available issues

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
29 30 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 1 2



Available online

The Taihape Daily Times emerged in 1907 as the result of the merger of two local dailies, the Taihape Post and the Taihape and Mangaweka News. 

The Taihape Post was founded in 1901 by Thomas Elliott Wilson (1852-1918). Wilson was an apprentice with the North Otago Times, and went on to own the Bruce Herald, the Waimate Times, and the Egmont Settler. The Taihape Post was a morning paper, issued weekly. 

In October 1903, newspaper entrepreneur Joseph Ivess (1844-1919) started the Taihape and Mangaweka News. The two men had previously battled for readers in Stratford during the late 1890s, a battle which ended with the creation of the Stratford Evening Post. The same battle took place in Taihape, a battle that other newspapers described as bitter and personal, with Ivess taking a case of libel against the editor of the Post, R H Leak. In the end the result was much the same - the population was too small to sustain two newspapers, Ivess was bought out and the Taihape Daily Times emerged in late 1907. 

In 1909 Alfred Weller (c.1849 -1932) was appointed managing editor and he ran the newspaper until 1913. He spent most of his life working on the Taranaki News in New Plymouth, with only this short diversion to Taihape. The paper was then taken over by the Taihape Printing and Publishing Company, who appointed David Smythe Papworth (1857-1944) as the managing editor. 

The Taihape Daily Times changed hands again in 1925 when it was purchased by John Edward Hamill (c.1878-1956). A fire in 1927 destroyed the part of the building the paper was printed in but the linotypes and printing press survived.  

Hamill changed the newspaper to be a tri-weekly called the Taihape Times from 1 March 1930. It ran as a tri-weekly until 1959. The impact of the Depression saw Hamill reduce the newspaper from 8 pages to 4 pages and in 1938 Hamill was removed from the company. The directors for the following decade were Francis McGuiness, a local land agent, and from 1946, A S Logan. In July 1949 the paper made the change to publishing news on the front page and classified advertisements at the back. The following year it was sold to the Taihape Times Ltd. 

In 1959 the Taihape Times merged with the Waimarino News to form the Central District Times. The Central District Times was acquired by Fairfax in 2007. In 2016 Fairfax merged the Central District Times, the Rangitikei Mail, and the Feilding Herald to become the weekly Feilding-Rangitikei Herald.