Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


MR SAMUEL BEALEY. A cable message received in Christchurch yesterday announced the death id England on May 8 of Mr Samuel Bealey, who was elected Superintendent of Canterbury under Provincial Institutions in 1863. Mr Bealey was born in Lancashire in 1821. He entered Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1851, took the B.A. degree^ and sailed iv the same year for Canterbury. In conjunction with his brother, the late Mr John Bealey, he purchased 1000 acres of land, entering into pastoral pursuits. On the granting of representative institutions by the passing of the Constitution Act in s 1852 the. elections for the Provincial Council took place, and Mr Samuel Bealey, Mr Thomas Cass, chief surveyor, and Mr Richard Packer were elected for Christchurch. Mr Bealey continued to represent the city in the Provincial Council until 1863, when he was returned unopposed as. Superintendent in succession to Mr W. Sefton Moorhouse, who had resigned. The harbour works at Lyttelton were prominent amongst the public works undertaken during Mr Bealey's term of office, and to the con^ struction of these he devoted considerable time and attention. An able report drawn up by a commission of engineers and masters of vessels recommended the formation of a breakwater. This proposal ┬╗was strongly supported by Mr Bealey. A considerable extension of the southern railway was also undertaken during Mr Bealey's Buperintendency. On the completion of his term of office he retired into private life, and subsequently, for the purpose of educating nis family, he returned to England, where he resided up to the time of his death.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

OBITUARY., Star, Issue 9552, 26 May 1909

Word Count

OBITUARY. Star, Issue 9552, 26 May 1909