WARNER'S NEW HOTEL.
■ ♦ '■'. •;•■ ■""■ AN UP-TO-DATE HOSTELRY^ V It will be remembered that nearly: two years ago the front of Warner's Hotel was destroyed by fire, and for a considerable time' the buildings presented a very unsightly appearance. Now, however, matters have been altered, and, ph<Bnix-lifce, & handsome and substantial brick building has to take the place of the old wooden structure, and the hotel is now an. ornament to Cathedral Square, as well as a very fine addition to the buildings of the city. Mr Percy Herman, who, with Mrs Herman, has had considerable experience in conducting first-class hotels in the North Island, having secured a long lease of the hotel, gave instructions to Mr J. C. Maddison to prepare plans for an up-to-date 'hostelry, and these have now been carried cut in a manner which makes the oldfashioned " Warner's " Hotel one of the most complete and comfortable in the colony- The proprietor, although well known in the North Island, was but little known here, although an old Cfhristchurch boy, until lately, but from the manner in which hehas catered for several important functions which have been held at Warner's ■ during the past few months, it is . evident that he is the right man in the right place, . and in iiis efforts he has been ably seconded, by Mrs Herman. Patrons of the new hotel can safely depend upon their wants and comforts being thoroughly looked after* The new hotel has a, frontage of 134 ft on Cathedral Square and a like frontage on Worcester Street. The elevation is three-storey, brick and concrete, in the Italian style, freely treated, and care has been taken to make the concrete of a more pleasing colour to the eye than is usually the case with buildings of this description. Quite a feature of the hotel is the provision for escape in case of fire. Outside, on the third storey, iron galleries run both at the front and back, and these are provided with iron staircases, which supply the second storey and eventually lead to the ground, so that there can be no danger to patrons. At the main entrance from Cathedral Square there is a handsome portico which leads direct into a commodious vestibule, from, which lofty corridors lead both right and left. The vestibule and corridors -are all laid in encaustic tiles of a very handsome pattern, and a rimu dado, runs round the whole length of them. The private portion of the house is absolutely cut off from the bars and public portion. On the left of the entrance is a fine office, which is fitted • with a set of telephones by which communication can be had with any part of the house. Opposite the office is a writing-room for commercial travellers. This is fitted with Cutter's roller desks, each, of which is supplied with an electric light rise a>nd fall perdsnt. and commercial travellers using the 'hotel will each be allotted a desk, of Avnich they will have the control of the key during their stay. To the right of the vestibule are a couple of private sitting-rooms, and on the Worcester Street frontage is a large and well lighted room for fhe convenience of visitors, while close by arft.,#ie. public telephone-room and an apartment for the storage of luggage. Afc the northern end of the frontage is a> commodious public bar, the fittings of which a.re vary hamdsom?, being carried out in cedar, with bevelled plate glass mirrors, aoid adjoining this is a very complete and well-ap-pointed private bar. A 'tiled passage leads past the bars to a large amd well lighted commercial-room, and at the rear of this separated by lavatories, supplied with the latest appliances is a splendiid billiard-room,, fitted with a couple of exhibitdfoai table®. The large dining-room its to be re-built as sotxn aa the carnival hclidays are over. The balls and vestibules downstairs have been furnished with oak in. antique design®, amid are tastefully arranged. A commodious, staircase leads to- the upper storeys, amd this is supplied Avith plenty of light by means of handsome leadlight windows of cathedral glass. On the pediments of the bulstrades are handsome bronze figtires holding Newell ekctric lights. Th« staircase is laid im heavy Wilton carpet, Avith brass nosings, especially imported from England, and the upstaiis corridors are similarly treated. At tile southern end, on the first floor is a Itadies' drawing-room, handsomely furnished in the Chippendale style, and here is a speaking telephone, by Avhich communication oan I>3 hud Avith any portion o f the Iroure. Following along the corridor are several Rute.s of rooms, all of Avhioh are airy and Avell lighted, and these, as indeed all tlio rooms. ;U'e furnished with exquisite t:i.«te. the furniture having aIL been selected hy Mrs Herman. A number of single and double bedroom? run along both sides of t;it> corridor, and at the north end is v comfortable sitting-room. A feature of all hese rooms is the lighting, each being Mippliod with an electric reading lamp over iihe bed, which can be converted into a
table lamp. Tbe second floor, -which is almost solely devoted to bedrooms, is furnished; in tbe same luxurious manner, and is. "also fitted with telephones. On both floors * are welUappointed bathrooms far ladies and gentlemen, fitted with hot and cold plunge amd Shower baths. AH the bedrooms are fitted with .wardrobes and electric bells communicating with a record" ing and registering dial in the vestibute -on. the ground floor. The hotel is fitted witU* a very fine, hot water supply worked by cob of Hement's patent steam generators, which ensures an ample supply in all parts of the . building. The contractor for the building was Mr W. H. Bowen, while Mr A. Bond was clerk of works, the plumbing was carried out by Messrs Hemenit Bros., and the joinery work was in tb» hands of Mr Q. Watson. The whole of the electric fight fittings, whd<?h are both handsome' anil unique, were sapplied and executed by Messrs Turnbull and Jones. The majority of tbe furniture has been suppled! by Messrs A. J. White, whole the D.I.C. has also contributed its quota. Altogether Warner's is now one of th» most up-to-date hotels in Australasia, providing as it does over 120 rooms with every modfenn convenience, and with such hosts as Mr and Mrs Herman to ooroduct it patrons can be perfectly sure thosb they will have every comfort and attemtaioin. • The. new portion of the fhotel will be opensd on Tuesday.
Permanent link to this item
WARNER'S NEW HOTEL., Star, Issue 7238, 26 October 1901
WARNER'S NEW HOTEL. Star, Issue 7238, 26 October 1901
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1910-1920).