MR. DAVID DUNCAN.
MR DAVID DUNCAN. Mr David Duncan, who died yesterday, was another of the ever-decreasing band of old Canterbury settlers. Mr Duncan was bom in January, 1832, at Cariston, near Brechan, Forfarshire. For some time Mr Duncan was in business at Elsan, and afterwards in Montrose. He left the latter place in 1867, and arrived in New Zealand in September of that year —a passenger by tho famous old clipper Blue Jacket. In 1870 he entered into partnership with his brother, Mr P. Duncan, and this partnership existed until 1894, when the business was formed into a company under the style or firm of P. and D. Duncan, Limited. Mr Duncan was for many years an elder of St Paul's Church and also of St Peter's (Presbyterian), besides being superintendent of the Sunday School attached to the former church. He took a keen interest iv the Society for the Prevention, of .Cruelty to Animals, and until last year was a member of the Linwood Borough Council. At the last election for that Corporation Mr Duncan declined to stand, as he contemplated a visit to his native land. Mr Duncan's funeral will leave his late residence, Worcester Street west, for the Addington cemetery at 3 p.m. to-morrow.
Permanent link to this item
MR. DAVID DUNCAN., Star, Issue 5912, 2 July 1897
MR. DAVID DUNCAN. Star, Issue 5912, 2 July 1897
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1910-1920).