3fl. U. JITTER. . . I The respect in whioh the lute Mr Edward Circuit Latter was held was evidenced by the large and representative gathering at his funeral, which took place at Eicearton yesterday afternoon. The cortege, which was a very long one, lefb the deceased's residence at Fendal ton jit' 2 p.m., and proceeded to the Eicearton church, where the services, which were full choral — Mr Latter having at one time acted as honorary organist to the church — wore conducted by the Eev C-'ion Hsr-'p r and the Eev H. Northcote, Vicar of Fendalton. Whilst the coffin was being borne to the family plot in the churchyard the organ pealed forth "The Dead March in Saul." The body was enclosed ma handsome kauri casket, which was completely covered with wreaths and crosses. Amongst the many exquisite floral tributes received by the family were the following : — From the Fendalton Choir, the committee of the Ehodes Convalescent Home, the teachers and children of the Fendalton district school, Mr Justice and Mrs Denniston, Mesdames E. H. Ehodes, Pattinson, Inwood,. H. W. Bishop, and W. J. Williams, . Misses Hey wood, Deacon, Cuddon, Walker, the Hon H. B. and the Misses\ Gresson, Captain and Mrs Hunter Blair, Mr and Mrs F. B. Wright and family, Mr and Mrs W. H. Gundry and family, Mr and Mrs E. Heaton Ehodes, Mr and Mrs G. E. Rhodes, Mr and Mrs Wills, Mr and Mrs Alister Clark, Mr and Mrs E. D. O'Eourke, Mr and Mrs E. E. Deacon, Mrs and Miss Inwpod, Mr and Mrs Hargreaves, Mr and Mrs Twentyman and family, Mr and Mrs T. H. Bruce, Mr. and Mrs T. M. Martin, Mr and Mrs H. Cotterill,' Mr and Mrs Cuddon, Mr and Mrs C. Eeece, Mr and Mrs Withnal], Mr and Mrs A. Lyon, Mr and Mrs T. G. Russell, Mrs and Miss Walton; Mr and Mrs /J. Little, Mr and Mrs H. O. D. Meares, Mr and Miss H. Simms, Mr. and Mrs! C. L. Wiggins and family, Mr and Mrs Bolton, Mr and Mrs A. Merton, Mr Browning and family, Mr and Mrs F. H. Davie, Mrs. and the Misses Geracd.-Mr atfd Mfs v S;Tßuriock, • Mr and Mrs Templer, and Messrs H. J. Beswick, F. C. Tabart, W. Williams, T. W. Beckett, J. M. Heywood, Mrs H. W. Bishop, Mr H. P. Murray- Aynsley and others. Amongst those following were the Yen. Archdeacon Harper, the Revs F. Knowles, H. Inwood and H. T. P. Winter, Drs B. Moorhouse and J. H. Guthrie, and Messrs F. E. Wright, W. H. Gundry, A. E. Inwood, A. E. G., E. H. and G.E. Ehodes, A. C. Perry, J. M. Heywood, F. Strouts, H. P. Murray -Aynsley, John Grigg, H. J. Beswick, T. W- Maude, L. Matson, Guy Tabart, E. J. Eoss, C. E. Calcutt, A. E. Morten, G. Harper, T. Kincaid, T.Herrick, T. G. Eussell, H. 0. D. Meares. W. Cuddon, J. Little, J. Palmer, W. E. Mitchell, B. J. Carew, E. P. Glen, F. A. Archer, W. J. Hartland, F. Fuller, E. S. Harley, C. T. Dudley, A. W. Bennetts, J. Taylor, A. Merton, T. A. Bullick, T. M. Martin, W. Donald, E. E. Deacon, H. F. Eeece, T. J. Maling,C. E. Blakiston, F. H. Pyne, A. Wachsmann, H. E. Webb, E. J. S. Harinan, S. Garforth, W. Birdling, sen., E. Denham, J. Browning, H. Simms, H. Woi-3ley, T. H. Bruce, W. H. Hargreaves, H. V. Styche,C. Kiver, A. M. Mackellar, A. E. Bloxam, G. L. Greenwood, C. Clark, F. C. B. Bishop, J. Hay and F. H. Davie. J. P. JAMESON. The funeral of the late Mr J. P. Jameson took place yesterday, at the Linwood Cemetery. The cortege was a long one, consisting of more than twenty vehicles. A mourning coach, occupied by relatives of the deceased, followed the hearse. Among those present were the Eev Dr Elmslie, Messrs I. Gibbs, R. Allan, E. Wood, W. Chrystall, John Anderson, jun., A. H. Anderson, H. J. Weekes, H. B. Lane, C. Hurst, H. Purdie, W. Callender, A. W. Money, J. Gapes, sen., J, H. Stewart, Gavin, Horsley. Beaven, Jarman, Nairn and ! Mullins. The Industrial Association was represented by Messrs W. England, H. B. Kirk, E. C Bishop, A. G. Howland, J. ; Bromley, J. Waller and N. Jowett, members of the Association. Besides these, a considerable number of friends of the ', deceased, including several ladies, were present at the cemetery. Messrs William, Frederick and J. S. Jameson, sons of the deceased, acted as pall-bearers. • The coffin was of polished New Zealand -yvoods, with silver mountings, and was 1 covered with wreaths and floral tributes. The service at the grave was performed by the Rev Sidney Baker, Congregationalist minister, to whose church the deceased <, belonged. During the service the reverend gentleman paid eloquent tribute to the many services Mr Jameson had rendered to his adopted country, to his church and to his fellowcitizens.
Permanent link to this item
FUNERALS., Star, Issue 5665, 9 September 1896
FUNERALS. Star, Issue 5665, 9 September 1896
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1910-1920).