The usual fortnightly meeting of tbe City Council was held at 7 p.m. yesterday ; present — Hib "Worship the Mayor, Councillors Hoaking, Brice, Bowman, Goss, Prudhoe, Louisson, M'Laren, Tait, Andrews, Manning, and Orinsted. An apology was made for the absence of Councillor Hulbert. FINANCIAL. It was reported that the receipts for the fortnight had been as follows : — General account, .£993 6s 3d; suspense account, £164- 143; cemetery account, £9 10a sd; drainage rate account, £160 6s; loan account, JB9. The expenditure had been : — On general account, £857 10s 9d; loan account, £29 1b 7d ; cemetery account, £7 l.°>s 4d ; suspense account, .£l. The credit balance at the Sank was -£1880 93 Bd. The accounts as read were passed. PETITIONS. A petition wis received from 39 ratepayers, requesting that the watering-place at the Market; place might be opened, as grfat inconvenience was occasioned to owners of horses through its being closed.
In reply to a question, the Mayor stated that' the watering-place had been closed because it was dangerous. Councillor Loui-son wanted to know how it was chat the ula c was dangerous, and why it had not been jepaired. The City Surveyor Btated that it had been found tiiao tlie repairing of this watering- place had been a continually tec airing souiu; ot expensj. All means had been trieu- atone, b&gi of concrete, and other thi^-c — <*nd uil had been a failure. The Works Committee had accordingly dto.Uttl, as tiio place was dangerous, to close ic. Atter some d iji.-uasion, Councillor Louisson moved — " Tuao the petitiouTbe referred to the Works Cooiaiiuee, with, a recommendation to put ihe watering-place ia!o repair." The motion waa agreed to ncm con. Councillor M Laren presented a petition from 50 licensed carriers, complaining that they suffered great injustice from a number of persons acting a* carriers and paying no license fees. They suggested that the bj-lawa should be altered, so as to affect all alike. They especially complained c£ the " Railway Company," which, they stated, employed a large number of carts in carrying in tie City, and yet paid no fees. The petition was referred to the By-law Committee to report. COBRESPONDENC ?. Mr W. Stocks, contractor for the Gloucester street bridge, wrote requesting the membera of the Council to attend the ceremony of laying the " top pedestal stone " of the bridge. It was decided to accept the i " • 1 oation. A letter was received from n. Oolonial Secretary's office, aeknowled^n r-ceipt of the Town Clerk'a letter annom. .._; the reelection of Mr A. Ayers as Maj^v. The formal reports of Inspectors Hobbs and Stringer were received. NOTICES OF MOTION. Councillor iijwman said that he found that he had not given the requisite notice of his motion for rescinding the resolution passed by the Council on July 13, 1885. The notice of motion was subsequently •withdrawn. This concluded the business, and the Council adjourned at 7.45 p.m. Sydenham Borough Council. The oi dinary fortnightly meeting of the above Council was held last evening; present — His Worship the Mayor (Mr G. Forester, in the chair), and all the Councillor. CORRESPONDENCE . ' The following w»s read : — ■ From the Auditor-General, requesting a copy of the Council's last yearly balance- | sheet ; also the names of Borough Auditors and amount of remuneration paid to them, j The Clerk was instructed to forward the information asked for. From Diamage Boird, asking the Council to pay as early as. possible all rates collected on account of the Board, as it was ' absolutely necessary that the Board's overdraft at the Bank should be reduced. The letter was received. From the Heathcote Road Board, intimating that it was proposed to form afootpath on the east side of Wilson's road from the railway-gates t o the bridge. Referred to Works Committee. From Spreydon Koad Board, suggesting an arrangement for construction •» footpath cc one or both sides of the bouueury road. Referred to Works Committee. From the West Christchurch School Committee, urging the Council to refuse a renewal of licente to Bull's slaughteryard, as it is a nuisance, and detrimental to the health of scholars attending the school. The letter was held over for consideration, and when application for license was received. From Mr J. Beattie, complaining of the manner in which the levels of channelling were being carried out in Cotterill street, and pointing out what he considered was waste of public money in the matter, as well a3 unnecessary inconvenience to pro-perty-holders. Referred to Works Committee. WORKS EEPOBT.
The Works Committee reported as follows: — Your Committee begs to report as follows :— -The tender of Mr C. D. Scott for the supply of dug collars, and the tt?nderof Mr A. Downing for the supply of a spring dray, has been accepted. The Committee recommended that the application of the Heathcote Road Board tor the control of pait of Wilson's road be not granted. The majority of the owners of the properties on the north and northeast* sides of Jerrold street have expressed their willingness to give a slip of land five feet in width off the frontages of their respective properties for the purpose of a footpath: The Committee therefore recommends that steps be taken to obtain the whole of the land required under the provisions of the Public Works Act. The foreman of the works has- been instructed to put on an additional gang of men at the work of lowering the street footpaths to the levels of the new concrete kerbing. The Committee recommends that the Council consider the question of the arrangement of the duties of the several officers of the Council. The Committee recommends that the Gas Company be asked to reduce the price of the gas supplied for lighting the streets, and the price of tar required for asphalting. The Committee is trying to arrange with the Drainage Board respecting the size of a culvert required in Jackson's Creek, at Ward street, to enable the street to be f cried to its full width at that point;
and, conditionally upon ita receiving per- j mission of the Board to erect the culvert and fill in the Creek, the Committee proposes to carry out the works at once." The report was considered clause by clause, and adopted. During the consideration of clause relating to the Gas Company, Councillor White vacated his seat, and Councillor Taylor intimated that he intended moving in the direction of securing gasworks for the Borough. FINANCE REPORT. The Finance Committee reported as follows :— Receipts for past fortnight, £330 10s 10d; accounts recommended for payment, £3G7 ; credit balance at Bank, £719 13a 6d; fixed deposit (loan ascount), £16.000. The report was adopted. DEPUTATION. A deputation of ratepayers waited upon the Council as to the widening and taking over of a street adjacent to Recreation Reserve, abutting on Paulson street. ! Alter hearing the deputation, the Council referred the matter to the Works Committee for report. RECREATION GROUND. Councillor Jones moved — " That his Worship the Mayor, Councillors Booth, White, Lingdown, and the mover, be a Committee to consider ways and means to procure a central recreation reserve for the Borough, and to report to the Council." Seconded by Councillor Langdown, and carried. PRICE OF OAB. Councillor Taylor moved-— "That the Gas Company be asked if they can see their way clear to reduce the price of gas to private consumers in the Borough." Seconded by Councillor Muffett and carried. MISCELLAJJEOtISSome slight alterations were made in the constitution of Committees, rendered necessary by the recent change in the personnel of the Council.
Councillor Taylor said he hoped that, at the next meeting of the Council, the Gasworks Committee would be able to put some definite proposal before the Council. It was resolved to hold the next ordinary meeting of the Council on Dec. 29. The Council then adjourned.
Permanent link to this item
City Council., Star, Issue 5801, 14 December 1886
City Council. Star, Issue 5801, 14 December 1886
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1910-1920).