Tho ordinary fortnightly mooting of tho Ohristchurch City Council was held at 7 p.m. yesterday ; present— His Worship the Mayor, Councillors Bishop, "Vincent, Cuff, Bowman, Treleaven, Lambert, Thomson, Louisson, Hulbert, Hiorns, and England. PINANOE. Items of finance were reported as follows : — - Receipts— General Account, £422 17s 3d ; Suspense account, £240 18s 2d ; Drainage Rate Account, £36 3s 2d ; Binking Fund Account, £20 ; Drainage Account, No. 2, £236 7s 6d. Expenses— General Account, £542 Is Id; Suspense Account, £2 17s 6d. Credit balance at bank, £1796 6s 3d. APOLOGY. Councillor Vinoent apologised for the absence of Councillor Ayers. THB BA3T BELT. A petition was read from MrH.W. Lee and other residents on the 1! it Belt, calling attention to the disgraceful - .te of the Belt between Kilmore Btreet ondtie Ferry road, on aooount of the drainage works. The Mayor stated that tbo matter was referred to in the Surveyor's report, and consideration of the letter was aooordingly deferred. OOBBBaPONDBNOB. The following wero read : — From Messrs Joubert and Twopeny, acknowledging, with thanks, the Council's letter of September last, granting the patronage of the Council to the proposed Exhibition, and stating that they were prepared to encourage local exhibits in every possible way. The letter was considered satisfactory. From tho hall-keeper of the' Oddfellows' Hall, asking for a refund of the sum of £5 19a Bd, forwardod to tho Counoil in September, 1880, for tho purpose of forming Hawdon's right-of-way. The Mayor stated that there were legal obstacles in tho way of the work referred to being done. The signature of an absontee, who was espeoled hero shoitly, was required to a deed. When he arrived, tho work would be gone on with. lb was resolved— "l hat t> c Town Clerk write and explain matters." From Mr W. Ward, Si Asaph street, stating that ho waß not in a ) • ••ition to contribute towards the formation u£ Pyke- street. Councillor Vincent explained that though the work was urgently needed, several of the residents in tbe neighbourhood wero not in a position to contribute towards it. Councillor Hulbert thought that as tho notices had been served, the work Bhould be . proceeded with, and that the Council should do their best to get the usual proportion of the cost from the residents. It was resolved, on the motion of Councillor Hulbert—" That Pyke Btreet should be formed and channelled." From Mr F. Jone?, Tuam - street, re thoroughfares leading from High and Tuam streets to Liohfield and Madras streets, protesting ogai'isfc the proportion of the cost of formation *hich hod been charged to him by the Council, ou the ground that the case was •n exceptional one, the thoroughfares in question having been used for 20 years, and being far more t«uhlic than private streets. From ilr Henry Keane, a roaident ia the same neighbourhood, also protesting against the proposed charge. From. Mr William Wilson, to the same effeot. After a desultory discussion, Councillor Hiorns stated that he and other propertyowners in its neighbourhood had formed and asphalted the right-of-way beside the Times office at their own expense, though it was more used by the publio, and had been open as long. After further conversation, it was resolved, ■on the motion of Councillor Troloavep, seconded by Councillor Bishop, to refer Messrs Jonee, Wilson, and JE<?ane to a resolution previously passsd by tho Council uffirming the nee* ssity for forming the thoroughfares in question. From .Mr W. Widdowson, protesting against the assessment of a proporty of his. Councillor Bishop moved — "That tho letter he referred to the assessor, Mr C. Cuff." Councillor Louisson thought the matter was one for the Assessment Court. The Council had nothing to do with it. The motion, was then put and carried. Somo routine business conneoted with the Connoil's reserves was then disposed of. From Mr N.i J. Suokling, drawing attention to the dangerous state of the Armagh street watering place for horses, on account of the displacement of tbe paving stones. Several Councillors spoke of the urgent necessity for repair. The City Surveyor stated that it cose £25 to £30 a year to <, keep the place in repair. The current, und the wear and tear combined, shifted the largest) stones he could put in. The Mayor and Councillor Hiorns thought it would bo woll to close the presont watering place, and open another on the other side of the bridge. The City Surveyor stated that the Acclimatisation Society had asked for tho portion of the river under tho bridge to be clcsed, as it was a good place for spawning of trout. The letter .was, after, some further conversation, referred to tho Works Committee to report. From tho Seoretary to tho Selwyn County Council, stating that that body accepted the proposal of the City Oour-' 1 ?•« Park roads. .OITX-BITBTBIOM^ '• • ?OBT. The ic-Uowing report from he Oity Surveyor was read: — "(1) Tho money /for the .u.-phalt crossing on the Southsßelt in line with the ..east .side of Manchostor Btreet, has . been sent- in, and the work will be done directly after the holidays. ;(2) The .contract for shingling Cambridge terrace and ..Queen street north, was this morning given to Mr O'Donoghue. (3) Wednesday next is one of the holidays fixed by the City Council for their workmen, and it has been the custom to give them £10 to aid them in their holiday expenses. (4) The Works Committee have had under their consideration tthe letting of the work of repair to asphalt footpaths, and the tenders sent in, and they recommend that the tender of Sir Smart beaooepted for a period of seven years. (5) The Works Committee have considered the subjoot of the tenders for & plot of land for a stone yard, and they find that none are bo suitable as the first tender from Mr Bowker, which was tent in. (6) The formation of Queen street north-is now completed. (7) Mr Smart has signed his contract for re-laying and top-dressing several pieces of asphalt footpaths in thi . ity, and the work is commenced. :(8) In - -./oral parts of the town small pieces of.w 1 kerbing are in a very bad condition, am; hoy are now being taken up and replace < by concrete. (9) An application has been dent an from Messrs Harper and Co. for permission to construct a right-of-way in Gloucester street 10 feet wide and two chains long. Tho plan and application are annexed hereto. (10) I wrote to tho Drainage Board Engineer as to tho bad state of the roads through whioh their works had been carried, and his answer was to the effect that tho matter would be attended to at once. (11) The following building licenses havo been issued during tho month of October, and the fees received for somo amount to £35 15s : — Messrs A. Stening, 1L .treal streot; A. Ayers, High street ; H. •' irks, Oxford terrace ; Duncan andCotterill. iiadford Row ; Crerar, Oaßhel street j O'Neill, Mollott's right-of-way; Rogers, South belt; 8. Williams, Mollett's right-of-way ; Cunningham, LichQeld street ; Patterson, Cashel street ; M'Sweenoy, Manohester stroet ; Barrett, Oxford terraco ; Cunningham, High street; E. C. Mouldoj, Armagh street; Patten, Armagh streot ; W. Mouldey, Armagh stroet ; Davie, Chester Btreet ; Lilley, Salisbury stroet ; Wilcox, Chapel street ; Wuller, Cashel stroet ; Elerig, Worooster street ; Lundorgan, Armugh street; Dr Wilkin, Worcester street ; Messrs Jenkins, Stewart street ; Brittan, < shel streot ; Pullan, North street ; Buoksto •■, Barbadoes street; cltonning, Queen street; M. Rod well, New Blroet ; l.'cv Turrell, Gloucester street." The report was considered clause by olauso. Olausos 1 to 3 wero adopted. A discussion arose on olause 4. Councillor Fngland movod as an amondmont — " That Mr Smart's tender be accepted for ten years." Tho amondment was not seconded, and the clause was adopted. Councillor Hulbert protested against clause 5, as not representing the fooling of tho Com* mi t tee, who considered none of the tenders suitable. Councillor Louisson moved — "That the clauso bo roferred baok to tho Committee." Councillor Vincont explained that the clause roprcßontod the feeling of tho majority of the Committeo. Tho conclusion was arrived at before Counoillor Hulbert was presont al tho meeting. Tho Town Clork road tho mimitos of the
Committeo, which stated that none of the tenders were Buitable. The City Surveyor read a list. Councillor Hiorns seconded the motion for referring the clause to the Committee. Councillor Thomson could not see what was to bo gained by adopting the motion. Councillor England moved an amendment, to the effect that oil the sites offered be refused. Councillor Louisson obtained leave to withdrew his motion in favour of the amendment, which he seconded. The amendment, whioh thus became tho substantive motion, was carried. Clauaeß 6, 7 and 8 were approved. After some discussion, tho application from Messrs Harper and Co., mentioned in clause 9, was referred to the Works Committeo to make further enquiries and report. Clauses 10 and 11 were approved. The report as a whole was adopted. bbsbbtbs committee. The following report of the Reserves Committeo was read: — "lour Committeo has considered tho question of Councillor Cuff's resolution on the erection of permanent market buildings, and has had by-laws and regulations before it relating to the Melbourne market, and letters relating to the purposes of the site. It is found that the site can only be used for the purposes of a market, and your Committee, after careful consideration, cannot recommend tho Counoil to erect j buildings there, as the requirements of the I city are not Buch as to warrant the erection of suitable buildings for a market which would cost from £8000 to £10,000 ; but that application should bo made to Parliament next session for power to let tho reserves as a source of revenue. Your Com-Eitteo have had the question of the South Belt drain under consideration, and find from tho Solicitor's opinion to the Drainage Board that the land, tho site of the abandoned drain, cannot be dealt with. The application of Meßßrs Bennett and Co. for cites for hoardings was considered, and in several instances the ' Council has no power over the sites indicated, and with tho others the Committee could not decide, as the sites were not particularly pointed out. Your Committee consider that if such sites are to bo granted at all it would bo more satisfactory that the privilege should be put up to publio tender." The report was adopted. APPOINTMENT OF VAIUATOB. After Borne business of an unimportant nature, thr3o tenders for tho office of City Valuator for 1882 wero opened, and that of Mr J. Wbitelaw for £65, was accepted. After granting sundry licenses, the Council adjourned.
Permanent link to this item
Star, Star, Issue 4227, 8 November 1881
CITY COUNCIL. Star, Issue 4227, 8 November 1881
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1910-1920).