UNVEILING THE MOORHOUSE STATUE.
(By Telegraph.) Chbisichcbch, Pec 22. The ceremony of unTeiling the vloorhouse statue, which has been erected m the Government Domain, close >o the gates facing Hereford street, took place this afternoon The statue has been paid for by public subscriptions, and is tho *ork of the eminent sculptor Lawson, who had to model it from a photograph and with the assistance of suggeftions made by a few friends who were intimately acquainted with the original On its arrival here at first some disappointment was expressed on the question of the facial likeness. Ihe general opinion now is that the statue is really characteristid m pose of figure and m expression of feature, and that as a work of art it is of high morit. The figure is seated, draped m modern costume and facing as nearly as may be towards tho tunnol with which the name of Moorhouso is inseparably connected. The ped- stal is a single cube of bluestone, on tho face of which is carved the inscription " Win. Sefton Moorhouse, to whose energy and perseverance Canterbury owes the tunnel between the Port and the Plains." On tho right hand side is carved " Born 1825, died 1881." On the left hand "superintendent 1858 62 and 1866-6 H." A half-holiday was observed m honor of the ccreinony, which commenced at 3 p.m. Tho weather was beaut iiully fine. Ihe blue sky and bright sunshine recalled memories of tho August afternoon eighteen years ago »hen the Oodley -tntus v> as presented to the gaze of the citizens. Two platforms were erected near the statue for the accommodation of His Kxccllency the Governor and those who were to take part m the ceremonial and for the ladies. A dense crowd of spectators assembled m the <iardens. Mm Moorhouse, tin; Misses. Moorhouse and Mr W. Moorhouse were present. His Kicelloncy the Governor arrived punctually at 3 p.m., and was received by Messrs J. OHivier, C. C. Bo wen, H. P. Murray-Aynsley, 8. Clarkson, L. Harper, Professor von Haast and His Worship the Mayor (Mr A. Ayers). The Christchurch City Guards furni»hed a guard of honor for the occasion. Mr J. Ollivior, m requesting the Governor to unveil the sttitue, referred to the great servic- s rendered to the people of Canterbury by i ho man to whose memory they had assembled to do honor that day. His Excellency after a short address, m which he eulogised the career of Mr Moorhouse, unveiled the statue, and thon at the request of Mr Ollivier, handed it over to Mr l eonard Harper, at Chairman of the Domain Board. Mr Harper briefly accepted the charge. Mr William Moorhou'e, a son of Mr Sefton Moorhouse, briefly acknowledged the honor paid to bis late father, and after cheers hud been given for Ihe Governor and Mr Ollivicr, the proceedings terminated.
Permanent link to this item
UNVEILING THE MOORHOUSE STATUE., Timaru Herald, Volume XLII, Issue 3506, 23 December 1885
UNVEILING THE MOORHOUSE STATUE. Timaru Herald, Volume XLII, Issue 3506, 23 December 1885
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.