THE WRECK OF THE LANOMA.
The following particulars are to hand concerning the wreck of the barque Lanoma in the English Channel on the Sthinst. : The iron clipper barque Lanoma, 665 tons, belonged to Messrs J. B. Walker and Co. 'a line. She left Launceston on December 23 ? under the command of Captain T. 13. Whittingham, with a crow of 18 hands all told, the first officer being Mr W. Cruse and the second officor Mr J. Fox. The cargo consisted of 5 ton 3 15cwt. ground bark, 245,027 sides of leather, 2431b Angora goat hide, 280 skins, 4 cases of beeswax, 15cwt. lqr. of horns, 1 ton scwt. 3qr. shanks, Bcvvt. 9lb. hair, 500 sheepskins, 1,083,6501b. wool. Th© total value of the cargo was £45,548 188 6d. The Lanoma was built at Sunderland in 1877 by Messrs Austin and Hunter, and arrived at Launceston in the latter end of the same year, under the command of Captain W. R. Barwood, now harbour-master at Launceston. Whittingham, who was captain of the barque Araunah, of the same line, assumed command of the Lanoma in 1881, and over since then has been trading from London to Launceston. Captain Whittinghara married Miss Reading, of Launceston, and had nine children, alfof whom ore living. The Lanoma was a swift sailer, and one of the most popular vessels in the colonial merchant service. Both the vessel and cargo were well covered by insurance in various offices.
Permanent link to this item
THE WRECK OF THE LANOMA., Te Aroha News, Volume V, Issue 249, 24 March 1888
THE WRECK OF THE LANOMA. Te Aroha News, Volume V, Issue 249, 24 March 1888
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.