Bv Cable. — Press Association. — Copyright. (A. & N.Z.) LONDON, Nov. 23.
The death is announced of Admiral Sir G. A. Callaghan, Admiral Commanding the Fleet at the opening of the War.
[Admiral of the Fleet Sir George Aslley Callaghan, G.C.8., G.C.V.0., was born In December, 1852, and had been First and Principal Naval A.D.C. to the King since 1914. He was appointed captain in 1894, and Admiral of the Fleet in 1917. He commanded the Naval Brigade at the relief of the Legations, Peking, in 1900. He v*s a naval A.D.C. to King Edward VII, and Naval Adviser to the Inspector-General of Fortifications 1894-97. He was Rear-Admiral of the Channel Fleet 1906, commander of the sth Cruiser Squadron 1907-8, second in commaud of the Mediterranean Fleet 1908-10, Commander of the 2nd Division of the Home Fleet 1910-11, Commander-in-Chief of the Home Fleet 1911-14, and Commander-in-Chief at the Nore 1915-18. He was a Grand Ofllcer of the Crown of Italy, and a Grand Officer of the Legion of Honour. He was appointed Bath King-of-Arms last year.] MB O. J. MOUNTFORT.
Mr Cyril Julian Mountfort, architect, (lied rather suddenly at Christehurch on Tuesday, from the effects of a stroke. Mr Mountfort, who was the second son of the late Mr B. W. Mountfort, worthily succeeded his father as a designer of churches. Tho best-known example of his work is St. Luke's Church. He was also responsible for a number of other fine churches in brick and stone, including St. Matthew's (Masterton), St. Stephen's (Ashburton), St. John's (Hororata), the nave of Holy Trinity (Avonside, begun by his father), and for additions and alterations to the Church of the Good Shepherd (Phillipstown). With Messrs Collins and Harman, he designed the master's house at Christ's College, and ho also helped to carry on the work begun by his father as resident architect for Christchurch Cathedral, and as architect to the Canterbury Board of Governors. As a youth he entered the service of the Telegraph Department, but soon afterwards became articled to his father, who will long be remembered as the pioneer of Gothic architecture in New Zealand, and as' the architect of Napier Cathedral, the Canterbury Provincial Council Chambers, the hall of Canterbury College, the Canterbury Museum, and many other fine buildings. After the death of Mr B. W. Mountfort, his son continued to specialise in the designing of churches, but also drew plans for other" buildings. He was president of the New Zealand Institute of Architects 1909-1910, a director of the Christchurch Building and Land Society, until his death, and at one time he was a member of the Christehurch Drainage Board. He was a life member of the Linwood Tennis Club. Mr Mountfort, who was 68 years of age, leaves a widow and one son, Mr H. H. Mountfort. The interment took place yesterday atfernoon, in the Avonside Churchyard.
Permanent link to this item
Sun, Sun, Volume VII, Issue 2116, 25 November 1920
OBITUARY. Sun, Volume VII, Issue 2116, 25 November 1920
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries.