Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.

WELLINGTON (Black) 16 POINTS v. SOUTHLAND (Mar o on) 3.

The above teams met for the tenth time on Wednesday afternoon. The turf was in excellent condition. There was a very strong wind blowing from the south-east, and there was also a strong, glaring sun from the other direction. Hamilton, with the wind, set the ball rolling for Southland, and the Maroons immediately set up a strong attack. The Southland forwards were in control of the game at this stage, and several passing bouts came off with the IMaroon backs. The ball was sent out to Watty Broad from the short side of a loose scrum, and the sturdy Wai-kiwi-ite made a dash for the line, he streaked through, but getting blocked, he passed the bait to a buhch of Maroon forwards, Clark managing to touch the ball down over the line. McNecce made a good attempt to add the major points, but the ball went outside the posts. Immediately on the re-start. Southland again pressed, and Southland’s barrackers wore expecting another score. McNeece had another kick at goal, but. the ball went wide again. .■Wellington then had an innings, and drove the Maroons to the half-way flag and stayed there for a while, but the Southland forwards went back and set up a strong attack on the Blacks’ line. Wellington worked clear again by good line work. Cab cinai being very prominent. A loose scramble on the half-way line, and Green -whipped the ball out to Mitchenson, the All-Black centre diddled Poster, Alex. McNeece, and Walker, and then passed to Eunson, who beat Raines and Irwin, and scored underneath the posts. The same player was successful with the kick. On the re-start Southland rushed play into the Blacks’ territory, but the bail was worked back to the centre, where play settled for a while. Foster was here very prominent in defensive work, he, Blackham, and Broad showing best form up to this stage in Southland back team. The Maroon forwards held the upper hand up till now, and right throughout the first half, but the thrcecpiafter line —especially Raines and Wtilleer—were weak, and the combination seemed at fault somewhere ; otherwise, with the amount of ball they got, they should have idled up a fair amount of points. In tho second spell Southland had the breeze against them, and being two points behind their chances did not seem very rosey. Wellington had the sun in their eyes, but it did not seem to trouble them very much, as they all seemed sure of taking the ball. At the start they kept the ball in Southland's half, and the Maroons only managed to invade the Blacks’ territory about twice during the spell, Hamilton being responsible for one invasion and Jim McNeeces for the other. The blacks kept things on the move all tho time, and never seemed to tire. They also made' the most of their chances, piling up 11 points in the second spell. Mr H. J. Wilson refereed in a very efficient manner, both sides beingwell satisfied with his rulings.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

WELLINGTON (Black) 16 POINTS v. SOUTHLAND (Maroon) 3., Southern Cross, Volume 15, Issue 22, 21 September 1907

Word Count

WELLINGTON (Black) 16 POINTS v. SOUTHLAND (Maroon) 3. Southern Cross, Volume 15, Issue 22, 21 September 1907