SAWMILL WORKERS’ UNION. The Secretary of the Union (Mr T. O’Byrne) continues to visit the mills in various parts of Southland, and he is able to report over 95 per cent, of the employes are members of the Union, and hopes that before long every worker will be brought to a sense of the importance, in his own interests, of throwing in his lot with thore who have already taken the stop. During the week the secretary visited Grove Bush, Mabel Bush, and Makarewa mills, held meetings at the above-named places', and gave addresses on Unionism and its advantages, explaining the position of the Union both financially and otherwise. He reports having collected over £.6 in contributions, which tarings the total tip to over £IOO collected for the present year. , and enrolled five new members, leaving only one man outside the union at the mills he had visited this* week. He urged members to take a keen interest in the Union as the only means of making it a success. Next week Mr O’Byrno will visit Centre Bush, Hokonui, and the Winton district. FORESTERS’ SOCIAL. The annual social in connection with Court Star of the South was held in Ashley's Hall on Wednesday evening, and was a brilliant success, A procession, headed by the band, marched from the hall to the social room, and the streets were lined with sight-seers. About 80 couples took part in the dancing, and a most enjoyable evening was spent. Bro. C. W. Patton, C.R., gave a brief outline of the Order, and quoted some interesting figures in refence to the advancement made. The first meeting of the Order took place irpthe Temperance Hall in 1874, when Mr W. T. Mitchell, jnr., was elected secretary, and it was not till 1895 that the first death-claim was made. In October, 1876, the meeting-place was changed to the Oddfellows’ Hall, and in 1880 Bro. -lohn Dickson beanie secretary. The first District meeting was held in Invercargill, and attended by Bros. Turner and Whiteford. As time went on, and the Order advanced, it was deemed advisable to move into more suitable premises, and the Foresters’ Hall, in Nith street, has since been the headquarters of the Court, and has proved suitable for all requirements. In 1886 Bro. .1. C. Howie was elected secretary, and occupied the position .till 1891. when our respected townsman Mr R. Folley took up the duties, and has given entire satisfaction. In a period of 21 years £4,549 lls 2d has been paid in medical fees and medicine ; in sick pay £5,150 Is lOd has been paid ; while funeral claims amount to £-850, making a grand total of £10,549 13s. In conclusion, Bro. Patton urged all present to join friendly societies, and tkey would never regret the step. A w.ord of praise is. due to the committee of management, who, with Mr Samson, secretary, worked hard to bring- the affair to a successful issue.
Permanent link to this item
The Reporter., Southern Cross, Volume 15, Issue 8, 25 May 1907
The Reporter. Southern Cross, Volume 15, Issue 8, 25 May 1907
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.