ALBANY STREET SCHOOL.
The usual yearly exhibition of the scholars of the Albany street School, prior to the breaking- up for the Christmas holidays, took place on Friday. There was a numerous attendance of parents and friends — about 200 being present, and there waa a full attendance of the scholars. The Rev. Dr Stuart presided, and addressed tha children iv his usual happy vein ; and the Rev. J. Upton Davics delivered a very interesting and practical address on "obedience to parents and conduct out of rfchool." A number of pieces of Bolected music were very fairly sung, the accompaniments being played, on one of Smith's American organs, by Mr Ferguson, the principal master. The needlewotk exhibited by the &cholars was remarkably good, and reflects the ufcmoat credit upon Misa Adam, who has charge of the infant department of the school — which comprises 285 scholars — and is also the sewing teacher. It would almost an endless task to particularise the articles exhibited in this department of Bchool work, Some idea of its extent may be gained from the statement that it consisted of 250 pieces of plain work, one dozen pairs of socks, and 100 pieces of fancy work. In regard to the plain needlework', Misses Maggie M'Dougall, Helen Webster, Emily Mitchell, Jane Oaldwell, and for knitting, Misses Mary Ann Cameron, Margaret Whitewell, and Elizabeth Wlrifcewell are worthy of honourable mention. Most of the fancy v/ork was exceedingly good, and all of it waa creditable. In thia department Misses Maggie M'Dougall, Mary Allan, and Kate Swan distinguished themsolves. The exhibits by pupil teachers displayed great skill and industry, the principal artiolea being a quilt by Miss Blackey, a cosey by Miss Smith, a cushion by Miss Ellery, a netted cushion by Miss Speddiug, and filowera by — Fowler. The specimens of writing by the scholara were very good, the best being th<s work of Mary [Alexander, Wro. Pietersin, and Jane Campbell. Amongst the maps — one of the world by W. Wilson, and another of the United States by James Campbell, may be very highly commended ; and other maps were very fairly executed by Joseph Hendry, Jane Campbell, Annio Thomson, Mary M'Millar, James Robertson, Wm. Pietersin, Wm. Bardsley, Christina Anderson, and John Thomson. The attendance at the school has been as numerous as the accommodation would permit, and has been remarkably regular. Certificates of attendance are iasucd by the Board of Education — first class certificates to pupils who have not been absent at all for twelve* months, and second class ones for those who 'have not beon absent for more than five days during the year ; and of these nine first class and fifty-one second class certificates have been awarded to the scholars. A large number of tho certificates given iv lieu oi prizea by tho Education Committee
to all who attained more than 75 per cent, of marks were &ho gained by the scholars. The attendance at the different classes at the close of the year was as follows :—: — Mr Ferguson, Gfch standard, 19 boys, 21 girls ; total, 40. Mr Oook (assisted by Mr Sutherland), No. 5, 43 boys, 29 girls ; total, 72. Miss Fowler, 4, th« Standard sequel, 22 boys, 30 girls ; total, 52. Mr Rix (assisted by Miss Blaekley and Mr Stewart), Nos. 4 and 3, 66 boys and 63 girls; total, 129. Miss Hooper, No. 2 sequel, 20 boys and 20 girls ; total, 40. Infant Department. — Miss Adam, matron (assisted by Mis 3 M Naughton and four pupilteachers), 145 boys, 144 girls ; total, 289. The school was dismissed for the holidays at about 4 p.m , and school duties are to bo resumed on tho 20 th of January next.
Permanent link to this item
Otago Witness, Otago Witness, Issue 1413, 21 December 1878
ALBANY STREET SCHOOL. Otago Witness, Issue 1413, 21 December 1878
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.