Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image


A correspondent in the Upper Provinces gives the following account of the Jhansi massacre from a written deposition of one present. We quote from the Englishman of the 9th July. " For some time since, the gentlemen were in the habit of passing the nights in the Fort, and spend, ing the days at their bungalows. Captain Bu'gess and his establishment had their tents pitched within the Fort, and everything was being put in readiness to retreat into it as soon as there should be occasion to do so, which occurred on the evening of the 4th of June. Some lew effected their escape from the place altogether ; one gentleman (name unknown) reached Burwa Saugor, when, meeting with a native surveyor of the canal establishment, Saheb Rai, he gave him his watch and horse, and procuring a Hindooslanee dress, escaped on foot. He was scarcely out of sight when two Sowars, who were hotly pursuing him, arrived there, and recognising the horse, took Sahib Rai and the Thanadar piisoners back to Jhansi, where they still were when last heard of.- Lieutenant Turnbull was not so fortunate : not having been able to gain the Fort, he climbed a large tree; he had, however, been seen, and was shot in the tree. From the evening of the 4th until noon of the Bth, the gentlemen in the Fort kept good their position, the ladies assisting in cooking fur them, sending them refreshments, casting bullets, &c. They were fifty-five in number altogether (Europeans), inclusive of the ladies and children, and they began to get very much straitened for want of provisions. Behind all the gates, they had piled high heaps of stones to strengthen them, and kept up so good a defence, that one of the cannon which had been brought too near the gates was abandoned, and it was only by fixing ropes to it, in the night, that the mutineers were able to regain possession of it. Lieutenant Powys was the first person killed in the Fott. The way he met his death was this: Two men, brother?, in Captain Burgess's employ, (one was his Jamadar) declared that they would go out. They were told they would be shot down if they attempted, but they said they might as well be shot as stay there to be starved, and accordingly commenced undoing the fasteuiugs. One was shot immediately. The other turned on Lieutenant Powys, who happened to be near him, and cut him down with his tulwar. This one was directly shot by Captain Burgess. The only other person killed inside the Fort was Captain Burgess himself, who received a bullet in his head, after having, I am told, killed no less than twenty-five with his own hand. All the natives spoke of his great skill as a marksman. The routineers at last having forced the Ranee to assist them with guns and elephants, succeeded in effecting an entrance at one of the gates, and they promised the gentlemen, that if they laid down their arms and gave themselves up quietly, their lives should be spared. The gentlemen unfortunately listened to their words, and came out. They were tied in a long line between some trees, and after a short consultation, had their heads struck off. Such ladies as had children had to see them cut in halves before their own turn came. The Sowars, it appears ) bore the principal part in all these atrocities. This took place on tbe afternoon of the Bth of June.''

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

Otago Witness, Otago Witness, Issue 308, 24 October 1857

Word Count

THE MASSACRE AT JHANSI. Otago Witness, Issue 308, 24 October 1857