Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.

OBITUARY

MR ALEXANDER BURT,

Tho death occurred at his residence in York place yesterday moxnimr of Mr Alexander Burt. I'or tho past few years his state of health had been somewhat unsatisfactory, hut it was only a fow weeks ago that ho became seriously ill. Mr Burt wua born at Camelon, Stirlingshire, Scotland, on April 4, 1840, and ho was thus in his eightieth year at tho time of his death. After receiving sound education at the Normal ,b'ree Church School in Glasgow, lie was, at tho age of 13 years, apprenticed to a linn of plumbers for fivo years. In 1859 his mother, than a widow, emigrated to Victoria, taking with her heir two boys—Alexander and Thomas— and her youngest daughter. In September, 1861, with other Victorians, Mr Burt camo to Duncdin, and mado for Uabriel'fl Gully, but ho and his mates found tho work unremunerativo, and Mr Burt returned to Duncdin. In 1862 ho sent to Victoria for his mother and his brother, and later in that year tho two brothers set up in business in tho Octagon as plumbers and gusiitters. Their first large contract was tho lighting of the 1865 Exhibition, on the site of which is now the Duncdin Hospital. Tho business increased considerably as a result of tho influx of population owing to the gold discoveries and tho briskness of tho building trade. The original building in which business was commenced was extended and enlarged on several occasions, and in 1866 the firm was compelled, owing- to lack of space, to securo a lanro section in Princes street, whero new workshops and a warehouse were erected. It was at this time that, in order to meet tho demands of tho shipping trade, it was deemed desirable to import machinery which would enable tho firm to undertake brass and copper work. To ensuro this addition to tho business turning out successfully, coppersmiths, brass moulders, and finishers were engaged to como out from Glasgow. In 1874, finding themselves again short of room in which to carry on their increasing trade, tho firm removed from the main street, whero tho land had become very valuable, and purchased a section in Cumberland street, where their present works stand. On this section large and commodious engineering and foundry workshops wero placed, and a substantial wholesale and retail shop and store, sinco enlarged, was erected at tho corner of Cumberland and Stuart streets. The business thus established, on the initiative of Mr Burt, is one of the most extensivo and complete of its kind in the dominion at tho present time. In 1873 and 1874 Mr Burt was councillor for High Ward in the Dunedin City Council, and from 1879 to 1883 he represented tho Government as a member of the Otago Harbour Board. He was for several yean president of the Manufacturers' Association, and also of the Sanitary Institute. In educational matters he was always to tho front. He took an active part in the formation and management of tho Caledonian Society's evening classes, which afforded material help to many lads, and in recognition of his services the society created him a life director. Ho was a membe.- of tho Arthur Street School Committee for over 40 years, acting as chairman for many years. Mr Burt was connected with the Dunedin Technical School from its inception, and may bo regarded as one of the most ardent supporters of that splendid institution. He was for 18 years ita chairman, but press of business, combined with failing health, necessitated his withdrawal, although up to the time of his death he continued a member of the Board of Management, being one of the representatives of the subscribers. The name of tho fine hall known as the Burt Hall can be taken as an indication of tho esteem in which he was held and of the value placed upon his services by his colleagues, who were responsible for this act of appreciation. Mr Burt had been associated with Knox Church since 1862. • As a Mason his initiation dated back to 1867. and he was a member of Loyal Hand and Heart Ledge, M.U.1.0.0.F. Ho was also a director of tho National Insuranco Company. Tho deceased gentleman is survived -y Mrs Burt and eight of a family. His eldest son, James, died in July of last year. Mr William. Burt is general manager of the Dunedin business. Mr Alex. Burt, at present in the Old Country on business, occupies the position of manager of the Auckland branch. Mr T. Ross Burt manages the Wellington business. Mr John R. Burtis in London representing (he company in its buying arrangements. Dr D. J. S. Burt is a medical practitioner in Sydney. The three daughters are: Miss Jean Burt, Mrs Walter Young (wife of Mr W. H. Young, of Messrs G. and T. Young, Ltd., Dunedin), and Mrs T. F. Macdonald (of Invercargill).

Mrs George Crowther, who died at her home in Maori Hill on the 27th ult.. arrived in Dunedin from Victoria in 1863, along with her parents, in the steamer Omeo. Her father. Peter Sherwin (now mamy years deceased), along with his two sons, Joseph and Peter (who will bo well remembered by old identities for their activities in friendly society work), started business in Frederick street, just opposite Mollison's corner, as a coachbuilder, and carried it on until tho time of his death. Mrs Crowther is survived by her husband and a grown-up family of six—three sons and three daughters. The youngest of the sons (Willinm) saw two years' service in France. The deceased lady was of sterling character, and will be sorely missed by those who had tho privilege of her acquaintanceship.

There's nothing to equal "NAZOL" for stopping coughs and colds, soothing sore throats, and banishing influenza. Good for old and young.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ODT19200103.2.77

Bibliographic details

OBITUARY, Otago Daily Times, Issue 17823, 3 January 1920

Word Count
970

OBITUARY Otago Daily Times, Issue 17823, 3 January 1920

Working