A meeting of the Education Board was held yesterday, at noon, in the Provincial Secretary's Office. There were pre3ent— His Honor the Deputy-Superintendent (B. C. Haggitt, Esq.), who presided ; the Provincial Treasurer, ahd Mr Hughes. Mr Hisloi', Secretary to the Board, read the minutes of last meeting, which were confirmed. HESEIIVES, The following tenders for leases of Educational Reserves were accepted: — Moeraki, block 7, section 13, and block 8, section 32, 904 acres, LlB 17s, A W Montgomery ; Moe'raki, Mock 7, section 2 of 93, 18J- acres, P. Arnott, L-5 8s; blojk2, sections 1 of 30, and 1 of 44, 80 acres, F. D. Rich, Ll2 ; Oamaru, block 10, section 2 of 65, 4 acres, H. Campbell, L 6 10s; Otepopo, block 3, section 2 ol 44, 47 acres, G. Paterson, L 8 4s 6'd ; block 11, section 25, 46. acres, J. C. Elli?, Ll4 Is; Otokia, block 4, section 2 of 30, 40 acres, E. Palmer, LlO; Oamaru Town, block 38, section 9, W. C. Biii'denett, L 5 ss; Maungatua, block 1, section 2 of 36, 40 acres, J. Barr, LG; Awamoko, block 8, sections 23, 24, 25, 240 acres, Calcutt and Menlove, L 66 5i ; Moeraki, block 2, section 1 of 15, 40 acres, Gleeson, L 6; Hill End, block 1, sectiou 2 of 14, 40 acres, Wiiloeks, L 6. The Board resolved that the right to cut timber on a reserve at Waikouaiti be lit for two years.
MISCELLANEOUS. The Board resumed the consideration of a memorial fror*l settlers in Roslyn, Sunnysi.le ant! Bmukviile districts, asking for the disjunction of those localities from Wakari Educational district, aud their formation into a separate district. Tha Sscretarj submitted a report on the subject, together with a map shewin-r the position of the existing school. The report was to the effect that he had received a communication
from the Wakari School Committee relative to the proposed change, and had procure'! statistics of school attendances from the teachers of Wakari and Brockville schools, lie bad also visited the greiter portion of the localities referred to, and was of opinion that the present circumstances of the district did not necessitate the formation of a separate Educational District, the removal of either of the existing schools to another locality, or the establishment of an additional Government sshool in tbe township of Roslyn or Sunnyside. The Board resolved that the request oi the memorialists be not accede 1 to, the arrangemsnt proposed by them being unnecessary. A memorial waa received from settlers at Inch Clutha, asking for aid towards the erection ol a school houss in that district. The School Committee at Teviot Junction also made a similar request; and the Board recommeuded both -memorials to the tavorablc consideration of the Government. A number'of'settlers at Kaitangata forwarded a memorial asking aid towards the establishment of a school in that district. The Secretary was instructed to inform the memorialists, that the -8.-jard was willing to grant the usual- allowance for the establishment of a side school ia that locality. ■■■) It was als3 resolved to grant the vtr, * 3 i allowance towards the maintenance of a school at Mount; St.. Bithans; and t after the disposal of .some business of a routine l nature, the Board adj -turned sine die.
Permanent link to this item
EDUCATION BOARD., Otago Daily Times, Issue 1462, 4 September 1866
EDUCATION BOARD. Otago Daily Times, Issue 1462, 4 September 1866
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Otago Daily Times. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.