MILNE—QUIGLEY The marriage was celebrated at St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Parnell, last evening, of Miss Margaret Quigley, only daughter of Mrs. B. M. Quigley, of Parnell, to Mr. Mitchell Robert Milne, youngest son of the Rev. James Milne, and Mrs. Milne, Morvern Road, Epsom. Canon Fancowrt officiated and Mr. Edgar Randall played the wedding music. The bride, who was given away by her godfather, Mr. Eric Tndnr. wore n. beautiful gown of parchment satin, cut on slender, graceful lines. The bodice was fashioned with a cowl neck-line and long full sleeves and the skirt flared from the hips into an oval train. Her veil of Limerick lace was arranged with a circlet of orange blossom and she carried a bouquet of freesias. In attendance as bridesmaids, were Miss Jessie Milne and Miss Jean Campbell. Th§y were dressed alike in frocks of cameo pink taffetas fashioned ,with> puff sleeves and bouffant skirts with matching velvet sashes. They wore head-dresses of sweet peas and pink tfherry blossom and carried bouquets of similar flowers. The bridegroom was attended by Mr. Grant Milne, as best man and by Mr. Geoff Pryor, as groomsman.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride's grand-mother, Mrs. J. Kenderdine, Takutai Street, Parnell. To receive her guests, Mrs. Quigley wore a graceful frock of wine lace with a matching hat of velvet and lace. Her bouquet was of daphne. Mrs. Milne, mother of the bridegroom, was in a navy blue lace frock and a navy blue hat. She carried a bouquet of crimson anemones. Mrs. Kenderdine wore black ottoman silk and laco and a black hat. Miss E. Kenderdine, aunt of the bride, was in a nattier blue crepe frock with a black hat relieved' with blue.
POPE—WATSON At the Royal Military Chapel, Wellington Barracks, the marriage took place on July 17 of Mr. John Edward Buckingham Pope, Coldstream Guards, only son of Major and Mrs. Maurice Pope, of Aslnvicke Hall, Chippenham, and Miss Elizabeth Burges Watson, eldest daughter of Rear-Admiral F. Burges Watson, of Four Winds, Bosham, Hants, and of the late Mrs. Burges Watson, wrote our London correspondent on July 22. The Rev. S. C. H. Stalev and the Rev. A. J. Wilcox, Chaplain, Brigade of Guards, officiated. The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a gown of supple gold lame cut on close-fitting lines, with a high neck and tight sleeves. The skirt was gauged in front at knee level and continued at the back to form a pointed train, which was lined with chiffon. Her veil of old lace (given by the bridegroom's mother) was held in place by a halo-iiearl-rlress or orange-blossom. The four bridesmaids. Miss Mary and Miss Anne Burges Watson (sisters of the bride) and Miss Penelope and Miss Beatrice Pope (sisters of the bridegroom), were in dresses of deep parch-ment-tinted chiffon, with ruched bodices, puff sleeves, and full skicts. They had sashes of narrow parch-ment-tinted velvet ribbon and headdresses of gold-tinted cellophane leaves. They carried sheaves of tiger-lilies. Mr. A. A. Cameron was best man, and N.C.O.'s of 2nd Coldstream Guards formed a guard of honour as the bride and left the church. Mrs. Burges Watson held a reception at Claridge's after which the bride and bridegroom left for a tour abroad.
Permanent link to this item
WEDDINGS, New Zealand Herald, Volume LXXIII, Issue 22496, 13 August 1936
WEDDINGS New Zealand Herald, Volume LXXIII, Issue 22496, 13 August 1936
Using This Item
NZME is the copyright owner for the New Zealand Herald. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of NZME. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries and NZME.