NEW BRANCH LIBRARY.
BUILDING AT GREY LYNN.
OFFICIAL OPENING CEREMONY.
HANDSOME MODERN STRUCTURE.
The new Grey Lynn Public Library was officially opened on Saturday afternoon by. the Mayor, Sir James Gunson. There was a large attendance, including members of the City Council, the chief librarian, Mr. J. Barr, and the member for the district, Mr. F. N. Bartram, M.P. The library will be open for public use from next Saturday.
The building is a handsome one, and is beautifully finished inside. Built of brick in the Georgian style to the design of Mr. W. H. Gummer, the library stands in a commanding position in Great North Road, next to St. Joseph's Convent. The inside walls are of white plaster, while polished woods add considerably to the general effect. The lending library has accommodation fot* 5000 volumes, while there is also a reading room with books of reference, and seating accommodation for 40 people. A charming room for boys and girls has a space for 1000 books, and seating accommodation for 36 children. In addition there is a spacious lecture hall, seating 300 persons, besides a committee room and office accommodation.
The library, which was built to fueet modern requirements, was erected at a cost of £7900, while other expenses will bring the total cost to approximately £10,000. The lending library will commence with a stock of 2500 books.
The opening ceremony was held in the lecture hall. The Mayor referred to the deep interest taken by Aut-khmders in their libraries, The first library was the Mechanics Institute, founded in 1842, two years after 'the foundation of the city, and when the population was 2895. The present library system was a direct, descendant'of that venerable institution, which was afterwards taken over by the city. "The premises were far from adequate, and in 1887 the present public library in Wellesley Street was built at a cost of £21,851. . ~ The great feeling of respect in Auckland for libraries was in a large 'measure due to the many endowments and gifts for library and art gallery purposes. Sir George Gr<?y had set the fashion for Auclclanders in t,his respect, and there later followed such donors as Edward Gostley, J. T. Mackelvie, E. A. Mc.Kechnie, Henry Shaw and the Leys brothers. Tho Leys Institute was the first branch library, and since then others-had been established at Grafton, Parnell, Remuera and Epsom. The City Council had acted as expeditiously as possible in regard to the Grey Lynn library site. The new library at Parnell had been recently opened, and was well patronised, and the City Council had equal faith in tho Grey Lynn venture.
Those present then inspected the various rooms. The children soon discovered their Own room, and five minutes after the building had been declared open there were half-a-dozen youngsters deep in • the delights of books they had been quick to find. • -
An interesting gift to the library is the Mayoral chair of the old Grey Lynif Borough Council. This, has been presented by Mr. G. Baildon, who Was Mayor of Grey Lynn at the time the borough amalgamated with the city. .
Permanent link to this item
NEW BRANCH LIBRARY., New Zealand Herald, Volume LXI, Issue 18892, 15 December 1924
NEW BRANCH LIBRARY. New Zealand Herald, Volume LXI, Issue 18892, 15 December 1924
Using This Item
NZME is the copyright owner for the New Zealand Herald. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of NZME. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries and NZME.