ROAD TO RAGLAN.
LINK WITH MAIN TRUNK., COMPLETION OF THE WOEK. [BY TELEGRAPH. —OWN CORRESPONDENT.] RAGLAN, Tuesday. A memorable event in the history of the old-established port of Raglan occurred to-day when the last load of metal on the road linking up the township with the Main Trunk railway at Frankton Junction was tipped and spread. The completion of this scheme, delayed by the war, marks the successful finish of a project costing over £20,000, arid was the subject of a little ceremony on the spot, when speeches were delivered by Mr. Rawlinson, a member of the County Council, to whose efforts the successful completion of the work is mainly due, and by Mr. A. R. Langley, one of Raglan's oldest inhabitants. The completion of this contract brings Hamilton and the Waikato in touch by metalled road with an historic seaside resort and a port of immense possibilities, as well as tapping some of the cheapest agricultural land in New Zealand. The official opening ceremony is expected to take place in a few weeks' time when the Hon. J. G. Coates visits the district to officially open the new concrete wharf recently built at a cost of £12,000, and to turn the first eod for the erection of the Raglan district war memorial.
Permanent link to this item
ROAD TO RAGLAN., New Zealand Herald, Volume LVIII, Issue 17766, 27 April 1921
ROAD TO RAGLAN. New Zealand Herald, Volume LVIII, Issue 17766, 27 April 1921
Using This Item
NZME is the copyright owner for the New Zealand Herald. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of NZME. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries and NZME.