Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


No senior fixtures will be played by tho Wednesday Rugby Union this afternoon. Tho Wellington representatives before leaving for tho South intimated that in all probability a team would be sent North in 1907 to endeavour to wrest from Auckland tho Ranfurly Shield. Prominent Auckland players who havo announced their intention of retiring from the game as from the close of the present season are: G. W. Smith, W. H. McKenzie, H. Kiernan, G. Gillctt, and G. Tyler. It is quite probable that W. Cunningham and G. Nicholson will also take their football from the grandstand in future, while there is still a chance that C. Seeling will leave for the Old Country shortly. The Wednesday Union's junior team will play a combined team from St. Stephen's and the Three Kings Maori Colleges at Alexandra Park this afternoon. The Wednesday juniors will be picked on the ground. The following is the colleges team:—Mia, Patsell, Roho, Rauparaha, Moke (backs); and Mai, Runga, Mato, Kapo, Whapo, Edwards, Nathan, fohcko, Armsley, H. Mahi (forwards). By special request Mr. Wilson, headmaster of St. Stephen's, will act as referee. The Welsh Rugby Union at the annual meeting decided that, in addition to the annual grants made to those clubs and leagues in need of financial assistance, a sum not exceeding £300 be given annually to deserving charities at the discretion ot the committee, this limit being fixed in view of the wish of the union to gradually form a reserve fund of £10,000. The benefit concert organised by Glebe District Club (Sydney) for Messrs. Little (Auckland) and Riddeli, who were injured in the Glebe v. Auckland City match, was held. with very great success, at the National Sporting Club recently. The amount taken at the doors was £73, in addition to which about £14 was sent from Auckland, and there are tickets sold which were not used. Messrs. F. Kurtz and C. Ellis wore the moving spirits in managing the affair. Mr. J. J. Davorcn, of the New South Wales Union, recently gavo notice of motion:"That the New Zealand and Queensland Unions be asked fa suggest and agree to a common course of action in cases where representative intercolonial or interState players are ordered off (he field for misconduct. That the New South WalesUnion suggests that in all such cases inquiry be made by the union tinder whoso jurisdiction the match is played, and at tho expense of that body." This (remaiiks a Sydney paper) is a step in the right direction, and will tend to bring about, an understanding on a matter which has hitherto been one of difficulty. The Sydney University team, which played its first match in New Zealand last Saturday, consists of Dr. A. Verge, fullback ; V. S. Putter, C. W. Roe, J. B. Lane. H. Oxenham, A. D. Fisher (vice-captain), E. Riley, C. A. Verge, three-quarters; W. F. Matthews, half-back; H. J. It. Clayton. J. C. Ross, F. Ccen, J. W. Hoets, John Hughes. S. D. Walker, N. R. Johnson (captain), H. Bullock,. R. Harris, James Hughes, and F. McKeown (forwards). Mr. F. Coon, lion, secretary of the club, is'the manager. The only players who have distinguished themselves this year, and who were unable to take part in the tour, are A. J. Mackenzie, the fullback, H. M. Moran. and H. C. Hammond, two of the leading forwards, and G. V. Tortus. If Canterbury experienced a bad time when playing aeainsfc Auckland and Weilington in the North Island recently the Southland representatives have fared even worse, as since last, issue they have been beaten by Wellington by 22 points t0.3, and Auckland rah over them to' the extent of 48 points to 12 (says a Southern writer). As Southland defeated OUgo. it would appear as if football in the South Island is at a very low ebb. HAWKE'S BAY DEFEATED BY WELLINGTON. [BY TKLEGBAPHPXtESS ASSOCIATION.] Napier, Tuesday. The annual Intel-provincial football match, Wellington v. Hawke's Buy, wam played on the Recreation Ground this afternoon. Soaking rain fell throughout the • afternoon and the ground was very.sloppy and the ball greasy. Notwithstanding these drawbacks, there was a large attendance of spectators and a good game resulted. The superior combination of the visitors enabled them to score- a somewhat easy win. the game ending in their favour by 23 points to 3. Wellington had the advantage in weight. . Hawke'a Bay commenced attacking as soon as play began,' and Peterson scored first blood for Hawke'a Bay by crossing the Wellington line in the first four minutes. This, however, was the only score registered by the local team.' Even play was the order of the day for some time, hut from a fine rush of the Wellington forwards Hcwke's Bay was forced. Wellington continued to assume the aggressive, and though the llawke's Bay backs saved on two occasions another forcedown took place. Give-and-take play followed. After 35 minute*' play Mitcliinson got tho ball from a 'scrum near the line and passed to Roberts, who transferred to 11. I). Thomson, and a try was recorded. No goal resulted: Wellington 3. Hawke's Bay 3. After the kick-off Wellington again rushed the ball down the field and Roberts got over the .line after a long run. Again the effort, at goal was a failure: Wellington 6, llawke's Bay 3. Just before the first spell ended Hurdhmn scored Wellington's third try as the result of a pass from Ryan. The kick at, goal was again a failure: Wellington 9, llawke's ■Bay 3. At the beginning of the second spell tho llawke's Boy forwards kept their opponents very busy for a. time, but the Wellington vanguard changed the venue of action ana-carried play to the other end of the ground, where llawke's Bay was forced. A loose rush by the Wellington forwards -soon after ended in Watkins getting over the line ar d obtaining another try for the visitors. No ,joal resulted: Wellington 12, Hawke's Bay 3. Very soon after Mitcliinson took advantage of an opening, and, getting the ball from a pass by Thomson, ran in and touched down. H. D. Thomson added the major points: Wellington 17, Hawke's Bay 3. Almost immediately afterwards Mitchinson again got. under weigh and van nenrly the. whole length of the ground, until grossed by Orinnell, but he passed to Ryan, who ran in unopposed. The try was unconverted: Wellington 20. llawke's Bay 3. The Hawke'a Bay bucks, with two or three exceptions, were not collaring with anything like vigour, and Mitcliinson again came racing down the Held, and, eluding the opposing forces, touched down near the posts. The attempt at. goal was again a failure: Wellington 23, llawke's Kay 3. Hawke's Bay then momentarily rallied and on two or three occasions looked dangerous, but their efforts were spoilt by knocking on and fumbling. The game ended with ■ play in the visitors' quarters. The Wellington forward.3 were much superior to the local division and their backs were also fast, safe, and clever. The local backs were not so good in defence as their rivals, and at times tbev fumbled badly in passing. The visitors were entertained at dinner by the local union.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL., New Zealand Herald, Volume XLIII, Issue 13280, 12 September 1906

Word Count

FOOTBALL. New Zealand Herald, Volume XLIII, Issue 13280, 12 September 1906