Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.




FUNERAL OF THE VICTIMS. ADDITIONAL PARTICULARS. Upon' inquiry being made last night, it was learned that the little child BlundelL, who was very seriously injured in the recent train accident at Kingsland, and is at present in the general hospital, is still very bad, but no worse than on the previous day. Sirs. Caley, and Mr. Alfred Caley," who were also among the most injured of the passengers on the double-liecked car, were improving yesterday. Miss Hill, who sustained a fearful gash on the head, and is under treatment at Miss Green's Lynn Holme private hospital, was progressing very favourably last night. Mrs. Davis, of Kingsland, the elderly lady who sustained serious injuries to her ; thigh in the accident, is still suffering '. severely. ! Mr. Booker, of View Avenue, Mount i Eden, states that his son, Cyril Booker, | aged 22, was injured in the recent tram j accident at Rocky Nook. He was suffering j from concussion, and is still under tat treatment of Dr. Girdler. Mr. Cyril Booker was on the double-deck car. OPENING OF THE INQUEST.

The inquest on the bodies of the three victims of the tramcar collision on Christmas Eve was begun on Saturday morning last, by Mr. 11. W. Brabant, S.M., in the absence of the coroner, Mr. Gresham. The proceedings opened at the hospital, where the body of Benjamin Lindsay, one of the deceased, was lying. Mr. T. Cotter (instructed by Mr. W. Coleman, solicitor to the Tramways Company), watched the proceedings on behalf of the company, Mr. Coleman also being present. Sergeant Hanson represented the police, and had with'him Constable Hodgson, of Eden Terrace station, who was present at the scene of the accident. There was also present Mr. M. P. Carey, the Tramways Company's engineer. STATEMENT BY THE CORONER, The coroner stated that the jury would first view the three bodies and hear medical evidence, and also receive proof of identification in -order that the burial of the victims might be carried out. The coroner reminded the jury that the first object of the inquest was 'to ascertain how and Dy what means the deceased persons came by their deaths, but there would be in addition to that a difficult task for the jury to perform, viz., to discover in the interests of the public who, if anybody, was to blame for the very serious accident which had occurred on" Thursday last. Both coroner and jury would have to do their duty to the utmost of their ability to arrive at a just conclusion as to the cause and circumstances of the accident, BENJAMIN LINDSAY'S DEATH. ;

The first witness called was Dr. J. Bennett, resident surgeon at the general hospital, who said that the deceased, Benjamin Liudsav, when admitted to the hospital was badly crushed about the right leg, and he had "also injuries to the head. He had also sustained a large number of bruises. He died five minuses after admission to the hospital. The cause of death was shock, attributable to the serious character of the injuries he had received. E. J. Lindsay, son of deceased, gave evidence of identification. My father," he said, "was 65 years of age. He resided at Commercial Road, Kingsland. I last saw him alive at half-past seven p.m. on Thursday last, Christmas Eve, He was then in good health." A juror wanted to know if evidence could be obtained as to how Lindsay was conveyed to the hospital, in view of some complaints as to the suitability of conveyance of injured persons by the ambulance. The coroner promised that such evidence would be obtained by the police. It being holiday time, the police had met with great difficulty in getting evidence and making their inquiries. The jury asked if the employees of the company who were on duty on the cars at the time of the accident had returned to dutv. Mr. Brabant: I don't know, gentlemen, if this is any business of ours, but at the same time I think it goes without saying that they have not. Mr. Cotter, after conferring with Mr. Carey, said: "I understand that they will not, sir." This concluded the inquiry at the hospital, and a certificate of death was given.

HOW MISS HOGARTH DIED. The jury were then driven to the late residence of Miss Hogarth, in John-street, Mount Eden Road, where the inepjest was resumed in a room in the house where the dead girl resided, and her body lay in the coffin, which was in the room where the proceedings were held. The first witness examined was William Hewlett, who said: —"l am a carrier, and Mr. Hogarth is my uncle. On Christmas Eve I was on the double-decked car with Miss Hogarth. We were sitting side by side. The car leit, Kiugsland at twenty minutes past eight. We were sitting on top of the car. When we were approaching Charlotte-street loop the car seemed to go up to the points and the driver appeared to reverse, trying to get her back a bit for a down-car to pass. I thought our car had got- too far over the points. The car then went straight down the main line. It went at a terrible speed. The rate the car went down hill I thought was excessive. The Coroner: How far did you go at this speed? Witness: Until the collision took place. I We went at that rate for fully half-a-mile. Then she ran into the other car. When I. saw the other car I to cany Miss Hogarth down. A Juror: What caused her death? Witness : The swinging of the trolleyarm. This struck her? — Yes. The Coroner: Where about was the trolley-arm?lt had been let go. The rope of it had been let go, and the ami was swinging about among the people. It | struck Miss Hogarth and it also struck me i about the face, cutting my cheek and lips. The witness here showed his wounds to ; the jury. Continuing, he added: I was dazed for a .little while, but when I came to the young lady was lying across me. She was quite dead then. I was currying her down the | stairs when the collision occurred. I was then on the steps of the car. When I got her down to the footpath some gentlemen whom I did not know came to our assistance. The Coroner : Do you know yourself what was the cause of her death? Witness: I am sure it was the trolleyarm that struck her. You did not actually see —No. We were sitting with, our backs towards it then; but 1 am quite sure it was that that killed her. It struck her on the neck. The top of the car was covered with passengers. They were very thick there. Wheat happened to them when the collision took place?—l don't know, because 1 was running down the steps. We were in darkness the whole of the time. I got a cab and brought \Miss Hogarth home. A doctor, 1 believe it was Dr. Porter, attended to hsr alongside the road. What did the doctor say?— He pronounced life extinct.

As a matter of fact she was dead?— am sure she was dead before she left the ear. ■-■'■' ~ ;'■";

A Juror: The car was off the loop? Witness: We were waiting for a down car That is what I thought. When ■we dashed down hill she made a terrible pace.'.' 1 said to Miss Hogarth: "I think we are in for a hut time up here bv the way the car is travelling."

r A juror said that he hoped the witness would be able to give evidence again, as there were one or two questions the jury would like to ask him, but it was not convenient to do it there and then. DR. PORTER'S EVIDENCE. Dr. E. H. Porter said he was sitting on his verandah at the corner of Mount Roskill Road, and he noticed the car dash past in the dark. The car was in darkness. " A few minutes afterwards," said the doctor, " I heard a distant scream. Apprehending that something serious had happened, 1 ran in the direction. the car had taken, and saw what had taken place. After helping to extricate a couple of the sufferers from between the two cars, and temporarily attending to them, I was called by somebody over to see Miss Hogarth. I found her lying on the footpath. On feeling her pulse I found that there was a slight flicker, and I also heard feeble heart sounds. These, however, stopped while 1 was listening to them. I then pronounced life to be extinct. I could not see what injuries she was suffering from, as I did not examine her then. 1 heard a rumour that her neck was broken." Addressing the coroner, Dr. Porter asked : " Can 1 satisfy myself about that'/*' The Coroner : Certainly; but I think, gentlemen of the jury, it would be more decent if we left the room. The jury then retired from the room while Dr. Porter made his examination of the body of the deceased. On returning the coroner asked, "Are you satisfied, Dr. Porter, as to the .cause of death';" Dr. Porter: There is a depressed fracture of the left temple, and there is a fracture and dislocation of the spine between the j third and fourth cervical vertebra; this im- 1 plicates the pharynx or throat. The frac- j ture of the spine is sufficient to cause death, I and death was accelerated by the* fracture of the skull. The injuries were sufficient j to cause death. lam told that the trolley I pole struck her on the head, and this would be sufficient to account for death. John Younq Hogarth, clerk, identified the body of the deceased as that of his daughter, who was a dressmaker, aged 23. He last saw her alive about half-past seven p.m. on Christmas Eve. She was in good health at the time. The coroner in this case also" having given a certificate of death, the jury were driven to the house of Mr. Caley, Rocky Nook. INJURED MAN'S EVIDENCE. After having viewed the body of Mr. Win. Caley, which was lying at his late residence, | on the main road, near Rocky Nook bowling ! green, the evidence of Alfred Caley was I taken. This gentleman was lying in bed j suffering from injuries received in the acci- : ' dent. He said : " I am a saddler, and live J at Waihi. The body which the jury have seen downstairs is that of my brother, Wil- ! liam Caley. He is the eldest of our family. J We were all on the double-decked car —all I four together. When we got on to the car the conductor told .us there was plenty of j room upstairs. My wife and sister and myself, and my /brother, were all standing up on the top of the car. When we got up there all the seats were taken. We went on up to the corner of Mount Roskill Road, and there was a number of people there waiting to get on, but we did not stop for them. When we got to the old riding school we suddenly started to come back. The rod was swaying and bending about, and we found ourselves coming down at a very great pace. Then the crash came. I was thrown against the ironwork and the splintered wood. My wife saw another tram coming, and she said, ' I am going to get down off the top, you follow me.' My brother William was standing near the staircase before it happened. When the crash came he cried out, 'Alf, I'm jammed.' I went to help him, and found that he could not move. He was pinned there by the splinters, and j the splinters had gone through his legs, at least through his trousers. I could not tell j whether his legs were pierced or not. He j dropped down with the crash, for the staircase had been splintered. I could not move him either one way or the other. Another man came and we got him out. I was crying out at the time, and my brother William was groaning terribly. I helped to carry him here, to his house, but I could not do much myself. We placed him in bed, and he thanked us all for what we had done. Soon afterwards my wife was brought in on a stretcher. William died the same evening." DR. MCDOWELL'S EVIDENCE. Dr. McDowell said when he was called to see Mr. William Caley the deceased was suffering from nervous shock, his face was ashen pale, his pulse almost imperceptible, and his breathing very much quickened. On examining the body witness found that deceased was suffering from three large wounds on the right thigh. Witness learned from Dr. Neil] that these wounds had been formed by splinters, which had been removed. One of the splinters was three inches long, and the others were from LUn to 2in long. There had been a considerable amount of blood lost, which was evidenced by the condition of the bed clothes. The upper part of the thigh bone had been fractured into fragments, and there was evidence of a good deal of pressure, all about the hip joint. The body had been crushed there, and the internal organs had been injured by the pressure. Mr. Caley was then in a dying condition. He died at half-past eleven the, same night. The cause of death was nervous shock, due to extensive injuries. A certificate of death was then granted. This concluded the evidence taken on Saturday. Lite further proceedings will take place at the Police Court on Wednesday next, at ten a.m.

FUNERALS OF THE VICTIMS. SERVICE AT GRAFTON ROAD CHURCH. The funeral took place yesterday of the late Air. Wm. Caley, of New North Road. The funeral sen-ice was held in the Grafton Road Wesley an Church at ten a.m.

There was a large attendance of friends of the late Mr. Caley and members of the church. The minister of the church, the Rev. J. J. Lewis, conducted the service, assisted by the Rev. C. H. Garland, Pittstreet Methodist Church, and the Rev. C. Griffin. The Rev. W. Watkin, of Onehunga, assisted Mr. Lewis at the service held at the family graveside, in Symonds-street cemetery, where there was also a large numbers of followers. The service in the church was opened by the singing of the hymn, "Hark! a Voice Divides the Sky." After reading a portion of Scripture the Rev. Lewis referred to the very heavy loss the church had sustained by the death of its organist. He also spoke of the position occupied by the late Mr. Caley in the love and honour of the people of the church, but their loss had been, his eternal gain. The rev. gentleman pleaded for the sorrow-stricken family, for whom all felt the very deepest sympathy, and prayed thai they might have Divine consolation imparted to them. Mr. Lewis hoped that to thousands the late accident would come home as a warning voice speaking to each, "Prepare to meet thy God." It was then announced that the memorial service would be held in the church on Sunday next.

The funeral of the late Mr. Benjamin Lindsay took place yesterday at Waikumete cemetery. There was a very large following of relatives and finds, and a large number of people witnessed the departure of the funeral from the residence of Mrs. J. G. Edmonds, Newton Road. There was a large number of beautiful and costly wreaths. Miss Hogarth's funeral also took place yesterday afternoon. There was a very large attendance of members of the family and sympathisers with them in their bereavement. The coffin was almost hidden in beautiful wreaths and fitting lloral devices. The interment took place at Purewa terySOME FURTHER DETAILS. MORE ' EXPERIENCES OP PASSENGERS. Thomas Jenkins, a. lad residing at Edendale, Mount Roskill, was one of those on the top ol the double-decker who saw poor Miss Hogarth laid low by the trolleyarm. Escaping himself with a cut on the right hand, he endeavoured to lift the unfortunate victim before making his way down, but found the task beyond him, and coin.municated the fact to others when he reached the ground. Acting under orders, he then raced up the road at top speed to the Rocky i Nook corner, to warn down-coming cars. j

j Mr. W. Billing (Kingsland), aecompanie< by Mrs. Billing with an infant in arms, am a'son about five years of age, occupied seat about the middle of the combination car Like the others, they knew nothing of tb impending danger, their first warning beins the crash, the impact throwing them wit! great violence amongst the passengers ant seats in front. When Mr. Billing picked him self up from the floor he found his wife in ; standing position, with the child still claspe< in her arms. Picking up his little son whose face was covered with blood, lie sue ceeded in getting the family safely on through the doorway. Beyond the shock and a bruise or two, himself and Mrs. Bil ling were uninjured, while the little lac was none the worse but for a nasty gash ii the forehead and one or two small abrasions about the hands and legs. Three or foui stitches were subsequently put in the little : fellow's forehead, and he is about again. Mr. W. Young, who was standing on the back of the combination car, had no wain ing before the collision came, and was ther. hurled back against the doorway of the car : sustaining a nasty gash on the temple. He was in a. dazed state for some minutes, anc hardly knew how he reached the ground. ESCAPE BY THE WINDOWS. Mr. M. Freney, Mrs. Freney, and child, together with Mrs. Freney's younger sister. Miss Emmie Hill, were seated about the centre of the combination car, and, like their fellow-passengers, were thrown heavily against the seats of those in front of them. Mr. Freney. when spoken to, said he succeeded in getting his people out through the window, arid then went to the rescue oi the more unfortunate passengers, he himseli having only jammed his fingers and suffered two or three bruises, injuries that were hardly noted in the excitement of the moment. The little girl, Emmie Hill, had her nose rather badly broken, but the others are suffering from bruises and scratches only. Miss A. Freney, a sister, in another part oi the car, was not quite -so fortunate, meeting with injuries to the jaw, while Miss P. Freney, who accompanied her. suffered a good deal from shock. Mr. W. Morrow, of Third Avenue, Kingsland, with his wife and Miss Morrow, were on the back of the combination car, and a sister, Miss E. Morrow, was in.side. Mr. Morrow says:— "There was nothing in the shape of an alarm, and when the cars collided I was thrown backwards off the sandbox against the side of the car. Recovering myself quickly. I found my sister lying full length along the platform, and immediately dragged her off, clear of the car. and also got Mrs. Morrow off. after which I ran along the side and helped the other sister (Miss E. Morrow) through the window. Mi's. Morrow and Miss E. Morrow were bruised about the back and legs, and I myself sustained several bruises ; but the eldest sister came off worse, as she was cut. about the face and head, and remained in an unconscious state for seme time alter being curried into the Glenmore bakery. When she regained consciousness I had her taken to Mr. Haslett's chemist's shop, where she was medically attended, and was afterwards taken to her home. She is likely to be confined to her bed for some days, but the doctor happily does not anticipate serious results." ESCAPED WITHOUT INJURY. Messrs. S. and T. Hon re, of the firm of J. W. Hoare and Co., leather merchants, of Elliott-street, and Mr. Albert Hough luckily escaped without injury. THE CALEY FAMILY. SYMPATHY AT WAIHI. [BT TEI.EGKAPH.OWN - COKKKSPOXDKXT.] Waiiii, Saturday. A gloom was cast over Waihi this morning, when the news came through of the distressing tramway accident at Auckland on Christmas Eve, in which Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Caley, of Waihi, were seriously injured. Mr. and Mrs. Caley are highly esteemed residents, and zealous workers in connection with the local Wesleyan Church. Sincere sympathy is felt for them by the whole community. Mr. Caley only left Waihi on the day of his death, and reached Auckland at half-past two p.m., and joined his wife, who preceded him to the city. They were to spend their Christmas holidays with their relatives in Auckland, and the family reunion had been looked forward to ■with pleasurable anticipations for some time. THE NEWS AT THE THAMES.

There was a great demand at the Thames on Saturday for the Herald, which contained full particulars of the lamentable tramway accident at Rocky Nook on Christmas Eve. Up to the time of the Herald arriving only the most meagre information was obtainable, with the result that very exaggerated accounts were current, but the full ■ account given in the Herald fully explained the accident, and set at rest the minds of many who had been anxious on account of having relatives and friends in Auckland just now on their Christmas holiday. Great sympathy was felt at the Thames for those who have been bereaved, and the injured ones.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

THE RECENT TRAMWAY ACCIDENT., New Zealand Herald, Volume XL, Issue 12455, 28 December 1903

Word Count

THE RECENT TRAMWAY ACCIDENT. New Zealand Herald, Volume XL, Issue 12455, 28 December 1903

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.