TERMS OF PURCHASE FOR RURAL LANDS IN THE COMPANY'S SETTLEMENTS.
The company has already acquired very extensive tracts of fand in the North Island of New Zealand, and has despatched two expeditions for the purpose of purchasing other lands, and of selecting the most eligible district for the first and principal settlement. The company, in the first place, offered for sale 99,000 acres of country land, and 990 acres of town land, in their first and principal settlement, after making reserves for the special use of the natives. These lands thus offered haye been disposed of at 11. per acre, thereby realizing to the company a land fund of 99,990/, and the rights of the purchasers thereof to priority of choice in the settlement have been determined by lot. The directors are now ready to receive applications for country lands, to the extent r of 50,000 acres, in sections of 100 acres each, at the price of 100/. per section, or IV per acre, to be paid in full, in, exchange for
the land orders, which will entitle the holders thereof, or their agents, to select country sections accordingly, either at the company's principal settlement, or at Hokianga, Kaipara, Manukau, the islands of Waiheke and Paroa, the borders of the Thames, or any other part of the present or future territories of- the company, so soon as the requisite sur- • veys thereof shall have been completed. The holders will therefore select at pleasure, out of all the company's territories which shall then be surveyed as country sections, a section of 100 acres for each land order, in the order in which the land orders shall be presented to the company's resident officer in New Zealand. The land orders will be transferable at the pleasure of the holders ; and a registry will be kept at the company's offices in London, and in the settlement, as well of original land orders, as of all transfers thereof. Of the monies to be paid to the company by purchasers, 25 per cent, only will be reserved by the company for local expenses and other purposes. ' The remainder, being 75 per cent., will be laid out by the company for the exclusive benefit of the purchasers, in giving value to the land sold by defraying the cost of emigration to the settlements- j Original purchasers of land orders intend- j ing to emigrate will be entitled to claim, i from the company, out of the fund set apait for emigration, an expenditure equal to 60 per cent, of their purchase-money, for a free passage for themselves, their families, and servants, subject to the company's regulations. Purchasers to the extent of at least 800 acres, riot intending to emigrate, will also, in special cases, be allowed to nominate their land agents for a free cabin passage to the settlements. ! The remainder of the fund set apart for emigration will be laid out by the company in. providing a free passage for young per- j sons of the labouring class, and, as far as possible, of the two sexes in equal proportions. Labourers selected by purchasers for a I free passage must be subject to approval by | the company, as respects age, sex, and good character. In the selection of other labouring emigrants, the company will give a preference to applicants who shall be under engagement to work for capitalists intending to emigrate. . A scale of the rktesat which cabin and steerage passages will be provided by the company in proportion to the purchasemoney of land orders, will be exhibited from time to time at the company's office. The land orders are to be received as sufficient conveyances, and conclusive, evidence of the company's title ; and a certificate of an officer of the company in the settlement j authorized in that behalf, mentioning the section fallen or assigned to the lot of any land order, is to be accepted as sufficient evidence thereof, and as an actual delivery of the possession of the section mentioned in such certificate ; and the company are not to be considered as guaranteeing the title, except as against their own acts, and the acts of those deriving title under or in trust for them. Forms of the land orders may be seen on application at the company's office. By order of the directors, John Ward, Sec. New Zealand Land Company's Office, July 30th, 1839.
Permanent link to this item
TERMS OF PURCHASE FOR RURAL LANDS IN THE COMPANY'S SETTLEMENTS., New Zealand Gazette and Wellington Spectator, Volume I, Issue I, 6 September 1839
TERMS OF PURCHASE FOR RURAL LANDS IN THE COMPANY'S SETTLEMENTS. New Zealand Gazette and Wellington Spectator, Volume I, Issue I, 6 September 1839
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.