OAMARU IMPROVEMENTS. UNION OFFICES.
This very handsome two-storey suite of stone office* has just boon completed for Mr Win. Aitken. Situated in Tyne street, immediately opposite the Bank of New Zealand, the offices are right in the heart of the business portion of tho town, and therefore cor tain to command good rents. The building is in the Corinthian stylo ; on the front of tho ground floor are square columns, with carved capitals and cornice, and on the upper storey, three-quarter round columns and capitals, and medallion cornice. The building has a frontage of 22ft. 9in., by a depth of 32ft , and is divided into five offices, all woll lighted, and properly finished. The two situated on the ground floor measure respectively 15ft. by 14ft. and 13ft. by 14ft. From the entrance door a spacious passage, sft. wide, loads to tho stairs by which the upper storey is reached. Hero there aro two offices in front, measuring, one 12ft. by 14ft. and the other Bft. by 14ft. , while the one at the baok is 13ft. by 14ft. The architects were Messrs Brindley and Stewart, by whom the offices are at present occupied. The contractors wero, for the stone-work, Messrs Barclay and Kay, and for the wood-work, Mr John Bain. Tho building adds one more link to the handsome and substantial chain of stores and offices which now encircles tho Harbor Board Block.
Permanent link to this item
North Otago Times, North Otago Times, Volume 1717, Issue XXVI, 20 October 1877
OAMARU IMPROVEMENTS. UNION OFFICES. North Otago Times, Volume 1717, Issue XXVI, 20 October 1877
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.