Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


Abbived. — June 20, steamer Geelong, from Lyttelton: 21st, ship Queen of India, ironi London; bteumer Hero, from Melbourne : 22nd, bhip Lizzie Southard, from London: 26th, steamer Rangatira, from Lyttelton and Wellington: 26th, ship Eastward Ho, irom New 'iork; steamer William Miskin, from Hokitika: 27th, steumer Wellington, from Northern Ports; steamer Tararua, from Sydney, aud Cook Strait Ports. Sailed. —June 20, steamer Prince Alfred, for Northern Ports; steamer Alhambra, for Lyttelton: 21st, steamer Xitania, for Invercargill: 22nd, steamer Geelong, for Lyttelton; schooner Sarah Pile, for Sydney; schooner June Lockhart, ior Nelson; schooner Cymraes, lor Hokitika; schooner Dunedin, for Wanganui: 25th, steamer Hero, for Melbourne; steamer Airedale, for Northern Ports: 27th, barque Collingwood, for Newcastle.

Altebatioit op Eouies of Stisaiiebs. — The steamer Airedale, on her return lrom Manukuu, will be despatched to Sydney on the 12th inttant, to be overhauled, her place on the coast being taken by the Auckland. "Whether another boat of the company ia to take the place of the Auckland in the Melbourne trade, v>e have not been informed. Loss op Anchobs by the Egmont at Tabanaki. — The P.K.Z. and A.X.M. Company's steamer Egmont lelt Nelson on June 28, at one, p.m., and had fresh westerly breeze and cloudy weather. Arrived at Mew Plymouth at ten, a.m., on the 29th. Moderate weather. At two, p.m., fresh breeze, and squally; heavy sea rising. At three, p.m., parted starboard chain cable, let go port anchor, and veered to thirty fathoms. Keceived mails and passengers, and, at live, p.m., commenced tp liea\e in; heavy sea running. When the fitteen-fathom shackle was in the hawse pipe, the capstan, in a heavy surge, lilted, and bent the bpindle ; the end of the chain was then buoyed at ten futhoms length, and the cable slipped. Proceeded to sea at 5 - 30, x>.ni. Strong increasing gale from JS'.N.W. Ou the 30th, at lour, p.m., no sign oi gale abating, and heavy head sea on. Being with one light anchor only, and capstan out of order, thought it adusabie tv bear up ior lieleou. At eight, p.m., wind hauled round to 8.W., with violent squalls and hea\y rain. On July 1, wind blew with temiic fury iroin S.W., and sea running \ery high. At 9"30, p.m., made the luud, and veered rouud to N.W. Dark and threatening appearance. On the 2nd, at two, a.m., made btephen's Island, and arrived at Nelson at nine, a.m. Forwarded passengers and mails to Auckland per Airedale. The Sujamee JSlkakok. — "We see that the repairs of this handy little steamer ha\e been so fur completed thut bhe will be ready lor sea iv another week. hope hei owner may be induced to again place her in the "West Coast trade, ior the present paucity oi steamers makes it highly desirable that no more oi those hitherto trading to Hokitika thould be taken an ay. Steameb bob tub Hokitika Bab. — The Lyttelton Time*, oi June 21), says, ""We ha\e heard on good authority that the Prouncial Government lune responded to a request to place a steamer, with sulricient power, to assist vessels in and out ol the mer aud a\ er the bar. Tenders are to be advertised for at once for the seruces of a steamer, at least eighty horse-power, for this purpose, to contract for the service ior six months, and to have a subsidy of £500. Steajieb Loud Ashley.— This steamer, belonging to the P.K .Z. and A.S.M. Company, has lately been overhauled in Sydney, and improved in several particulars. A new propeller gi\en to her of a different form and pitch, has considerably increased her speed, and reduced her vibratory motion. Her poop has been so extended as to alibi d room lor a ladies' saloon, in many other respects the improvements effected to this steamer are calculated to add to the comiort of her passengers. The Lord Ashley arrived in Auckland from Sydney on the 23rd oi" June, and »LJ take up her old berlhon the East Coast, where bhe will relieve the Pnuce AJlred. SIEAiiEB Phiiicl AjLiutD. — This small steamer, belonging to Go.irianeiit, lvgaidn^ thi-uhucnboutaoi «luch there hull btvn toiiie auXKtj, Lad tuktn uni^e m \\ aikulo mer, utieie undergone some repuiis. fi>ne nuty be expected shoitly in Ivdbon, being one of tUe steamers the Government has oileied ioi sale. Schoohib Feiesp.— This vessel arrived at Taranaki from Syduej on the 23rd of June, alter a passage of thirty-six dajs. biic had been within a short distauce ot Taranaki ior thret weeks, but was unable to male the poit. Captain Coot had lost his eyesight (luimg the passage. 'lax faTißi.— lJud Guvuunitnt tti.iincr left Port AVaikato on Sutuiduy lust, uud, m ciossiug the bar, met with v veiy heuvj BtH, v,bn.n roLttt Uie yuiio i/ur, luintO away puit oi lure-coui-pamou hiiieli, and part ot btorLoaiil puddle-box. Tlil I ftturt, on uimnl litre, riceivtd cidcr-j to piocetd the next morning into the "Wuilura, under the piloting of Mr. Duncan Cameron, to land timber aud stores.— 2 aranaki Herald, June U. The ship Queen of India, from London, arrived at Poit Cbal* men on the Zltt Jose, after a pungo of eighty*us dgyi.

Accidekt iir Lxtiklton Haeboub.— Auother boat accident, attended with loss of life, took place on the evening of the 24th. One of the Countess of Seafleld's boats was capsized while under sail, n»ar the reef in the harbour off Quail Island. The ■ boat filled, but did not go down, and the crew, managing to I hang on to lier, remained in that position for a considerable length of time. The boat continued to drift down the harbour, and when nearly abreast of the Camille, the crew fortunately obtained assistance ; not before the second mate of the Countens of Seafield fell overboard, and sunk, and was not again seen. The three survivors were in a very exhausted state when picked up, and Mr. Grant, of the Custom House, had a narrow esuupe ol his life, and it was nearly three hours before he recovered consciousness. The names of the gentlemen in the boat are as follow :— Captain Danvers, aud the second officer of the Countess of Seafield, and Messrs. Flocton and Grant. The affair was purely accidental, and caused by a sudden pufl' of wind. Captain Danvers displayed a great deal of fortitude under the circumstances, and from his example the energies of the others were kept alive.— Canterbury Frets, June 26. Narbow Escapb of the Aquila.— The Southern Cross, of the June 20, says, "The lady Barkly, paddle steamer, armed ut Onehunga, from Manukau Heads, yesterday morning at three o'clock. On Saturday, after layiug down a red buoy on the South Head spit, came back and anchored, waiting for the tide. Shortly afterwards, saw the Aquila, cutter, bound for Port Waikato, out in the breakers. The wind! had suddenly dropped, and she was drifting in. She let go her anchor, and hoisted a signal of distress, when the Lady Barkly went down to her assistance, and succeeded in safely towing her back to harbour. The Aquila had a very narrow escape, for just as she was made fast to the Lady Barkly, her chain broke, and she would undoubtedly have been lost but for the assistance of that vessel. Supposed Wbeck off Stewabt's Is,land.— ln the month of March last, some Maoris who were in search of mutton birds found several articles of female and children's apparel, partly embedded in sand in Mason's Bay, on the south-west aide of Stewart's Island, as cilao a box containing, among other articles, a watch and six psirs of ear-ringa. There was also a stove-in boat found near the same spot, two empty casks, and other articles, which made it appear as if a wreck had taken place in the neighbourhood. Several conjectures were made as to the \essel which had suffered wreck, and, amongst others, a three-masted American schooner was mentioned, which left Port Chalmers, bound-to Sydney, some little time previous, and about which there was a suspicious kind of story told by the Otago Daily Times, that a bright light was seen at sea the night after she took her departure, as if a Bhip was on fire and as there was a rumour at the time that the Shenandoah was off the coast, it was considered not improbable that the schooner had fallen a prey to the Confederate cruiser. Supposing this to have been the case, how any part of the wreck of the schooner, set on fire off the eastern side of this island, should be picked up on the south-west side of Stewart's Island, we never could very clearly understand. The truth of this conjecture was disproved by the schooner in question arriving safely at her destination. A solution of the mystery as to the vessel from which the articles spoken of were lost, has at length been ar"rived at. The wearing apparel was part of the luggage of a passenger on board the schooner Elizabeth Curie, whose disastrous passage from Southland to Hokitika we gave an account of some time ago, and these and other things were washed off' the deck of that vessel, in the gale she encountered at the entrance of Foveaux Strait, there not being room at the time to put all the luggage below. The ship Lizzie Southard, from the Downs on the 28th February, reached Port Chalmers on the 23rd June. The Lizzie Southard took four men from the ship Fawn, on fire, bound to Manilla, from Cardiff. All hands were saved. The barques a&val Brigade, for London, Queen of the Ocean, aud the ship Kosnile, for Liverpool, took the remainder of tie officers and crew. The steamer Hero, which had waited at Melbourne for the arrival of the English mail until the evening of the 15th, reached Port Chalmers on the 23rd. The Ship Eastward Ho, which arrived at Port Port Chalmers on the 26th of June, left New York on the 21st of March. She had on board a large cargo of Yankee notions, part of which IS lor Auckland, and part for Sydney. The ship Besolute, from the Clyde, with 354 Government immigrants, arrived at Auckland ou the 21st of June. The ship Ulcoats.flrom London, with ninety-seven passengers, arrived in Auckland on the 26th ultimo. The barque Novelty, which trades between Auckland and Sydney, was lately reported not to have reached the latter port, after having been at sea three weeks. This proved to have been a mistake, as the vessel reached Sydney in fourteen days The Novelty returned again in safety to Auckland, on the 27th of June. The cargo of the brig Waverly, from Valparaiso, recently arrived at Auckland, consisted of 2,671 sacks of wheat and thirty-one bags of walnuts. The cutter Will Watch, from Eorotonga, one of the South Sea Islands, had a cargo to Auckland of 25,000 dozen oranges, 3J tons of lime-juice, OOOlbs. of coffee, 1,600 cocoa-nuts and 3001bs. preserved bananas. The ship Martin Luther, eighty-seven days from England, arrived at Wellington on the 24th ultimo. This vessel had on board a portion of the materials for extending the Government Wharf.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

OTAGO SHIPPING., Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, Volume XXIV, Issue 80, 4 July 1865

Word Count

OTAGO SHIPPING. Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, Volume XXIV, Issue 80, 4 July 1865