Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


WONDERFUL ESCAPE OF THE CREW. "We are sorry to have to report that the brigantine Marchioness, 175 tons, lately commanded by Captain Holford, but, since he was appointed Harbour Master here, in charge of the chief officer, Mr. R. Smith, has gone ashore about twenty-five miles down the coast, and is now a total wreck ; the crew effecting a double escape — from the sea and from the Maoris. The Marchioness was at anchor in the roadstead on Monday morning, but about seven o'clock parted her cable as she was preparing to slip it, the wind blowing strong from the north at the time and a heavy sea setting in, Bhe very nearly caught on the tail of the reef before she could be got in hand ; however, she go safely out beyond the- Sugar Loaves, and appeared to hava a good oiling. During the day the wind shifted, and blew heavily from north and north-west, but in the night increased and shifted to the west, and the ship being light made more leeway, we suppose, than was anticipated, and at about 230 a.m., on Tuesday, struck, before any one on board knew they were near land. The anxiety of the crew may easily be imagined, with their ship on the rocks in such anight, the sea constantly breaking over them, and a blinding rain falling j add to this the great probability, if they over reached the shore, of being murdered by the natives. The coast thereabouts is very rocky and inhospitable, but, fortunately, where the vessel struck, the rocks were not large, and it was fortunate, too, thut it was nearly high water at the time. When the day broke they found they were within a quarter of a mile of the shore, and at low water they decided to make an attempt to land. Tha boat was lowered and three men getting into it, and taking one end of a warp with them, made lor the shore, which they most fortunately succeeded in reaching, and the other five then followed. And here, having as it were escaped one death, the second danger began. Right in front of them, at the side of a little stream, there was a Maori pah, and if this had been inhabited their death would have been certain, for they had no arms with them; but it was not, and so they went on, taking all the care thpy could afterwards to keep out of sight by going along the beach, and under the cliffs where practicable, and at last, after twelve hours' hea>y and anxious walking, with nothing to eat, they reached Oakura about ten o'clock, p.m., thoroughly worn out, where — after being mistaken for Maoris and flred at as they emerged from the darkness — they were hospitably entertained. On Wednesday they came into town. Mr. R. Cock, coxswain of the serf boats, was one of the number, having been acting as pilot while the vessel was in the roadstead. The Marchioness was owned principally by Mr. Warwick Weston of this place, and was insured for £2,000 in the New Zealand Insurance Company's Office. The cargo remaining on board consisted of 12£ tons of flour, 131 sacks of wheat, i\ tons pressed hay, and 0 bags barley, The vessel when left was lying with a largo hole in its bottom, six feet of water in the hold, and a great part of the stern carried uway. We are informed that Mr. Smith, in fording a deep rher (no doubt the Hungatahua) lost the ship's papers and log, and it was well that none of them lost their lives in it. — Turunuki Herald, May 21. Capsizing of a Lumber Ship and Loss op Thibtt Lives at the Fiji Islands. — Captain Wilson, of the schooner Kate Kearney, which arrived at Sydney on Saturday, reports that news was receh ed at the Islands of the capsizing of an American ship, in the Kandavau Passage (Fiji) : it was also reported that thirty lives had been lost and twenty-five saved. Unfortunately the name of the vessel was not ascertained at the place ■where the Kate Kearney was at anchor. The American consul had proceeded to that part of the island where the survivors were. It is presumed the vessel was calling for provisions ; some fears are entertained that the ill-fated vessel is the All Serene, which left Puget Sound for Sydney some months ago, and is considerably overdue. — Empire, May 9. The S.S. Ladtbibd.— This vessel left the Manukau on the 20th, at three, p.m., met with strong gales from the S.W. and S.E., and a very heavy Bea; armed at Tar an ski at half-past one, p.m., of the next day; left again at six, p.m., met strong south-easterly gale 3 during the iirst part of the passage, and arrived here at the outer anchorage at I*3o, p.m. Accident to the s.s. Susannah Cothdebt. — We have been informed by Captain Renner, of the s.s. Ladybird, that an accident happened to the steamer Susannah Cuthbert on Saturday last, when off Cape Egmont. The vessel was then steering a south-easterly course, carrying all sail, but she met a nasty sea running to the westward, wnich caused her to give a heavy lurch and roll to the windward. At this moment a strong squall struck the ship, and carried away mainmast, foremast, and jib-boom. It was expected that the Susannah Cuthbert would steam to Auckland for repairs.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

WRECK OF THE BRIGANTINE MARCHIONESS., Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, Volume XXIII, Issue 62, 24 May 1864

Word Count

WRECK OF THE BRIGANTINE MARCHIONESS. Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, Volume XXIII, Issue 62, 24 May 1864