All Saints' Church.
■■»-• CONSECRATION ON SUNDAY.
All Saints' Church will be consecrated on Sunday morning by His Lordship the Bishop of Wellington, Dr. Sprott. The services during the consecration and patronal festival of All Saints will be us follows: —Sunday, October 29: 7 a.m. and 8 a.m., holy communion; 11 a.m., consecration of the church by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, and holy communion; 3 p.m., confirmation service; 7 p.m., festal evensong and sermon. Tuesday, October 31, Eve of All Saints: Evensong at 7.30 p.m., with an address. Wednesday, November 1, All Saints' Day: Holy communion at 7 a.m. and 10 a.m.; evensong and sermon at- 7.30 p.m. Sunduy in the Octave 1 , November 5: 8 a.m., holy communion; 11 a.m., matins and sermon; 12 noon, holy communion; 2.45 p.m., children's flower service (anniversary of the Sunday School); 7 p.m., evensong and sermon. On Tuesday evening next at 8 o'clock will be held an organ recital by the Bev. E. Sola, Fellow of the College of Organists, at which the choir, assisted by others, will render several anthems.
The special preachers will include Archdeacon Innes-Jones, Eev. L. H. Fenn, Vicar of Pahiatua, and Eev. E. Sola, Vicar of Eastbourne. The collections on October 29, November .1, and November 7 will be devoted to the extinction of the debt on the general parish finances and the conversion of the old church into a hall and Sunday school, and on November 5 for the Sunday schools.
RECOLLECTIONS OF AN OLD EESIDENT.
The consecration at 11 o'clock tomorrow of All .Saints' Church will naturally recall to the minds of older residents the history of the Anglican Church in Palmerston North. The foundation stone of the lirst church was laid on September 29, 1875, by Mrs Snelson, who is happily still a frequent visitor to Palmerston. Mr James Green, who even now, in spite of his ninety years, is a regular attendant, is an active member of the Building Committee. The Rev. H. Bevis was the first minister. The original building Avas, of course, a very small one, seating only about. 150 people, but increased accommodation was wanted as the town grew. In 1881-2 a fresh building was erected, the old church.being utilised for the transepts. Again, soon after, when Mr Harper was made vicar, it became clear that the rapid increase of the town required a yet further enlargement, and the south aisle was added, seating an additional hundred. This, however, was to be only a temporary expedient, and a fund was almost immediately started to provide a permanent church, which should be adequate for the needs of the congrega- i tion and worthy of the town. The present building was designed by Mr F. de J. Clere, the Diocesan architect, at the cost of about £BOOO, and was opened in May, 1914. The rules of the Diocese, however, do not allow a church to be consecrated until it is absolutely clear of debt, and it is due mainly to the persistent efforts of Mr Morrah, the Vicar's warden, that this condition is now happily fulfilled, notwithstanding the many other calls which the exigencies of the war have made on the purses of Palmerston; Soon after the completion of the building a very fine stained-glass window was put into the east end of the side chapel by members of the family, to the memory of Mr and Mrs James Sherman, for 40 years members of the congregation, whose son, Mr Allan Sherman, is now people's warden, and has, without intermission, during the whole of his residence in the district, been a most efficient and self-sacrificing officer of the church. Advantage will be taken of the Bishop's visit to unveil another window, which has just been put in byrelatives to the memory of Mr H. S. McKellar, one of the original founders of the New Zealand Church, the first autonomous branch of the Anglican communion. During the whole of the 20 years' of Mr McKellar's residence in Palmerston he was a constant attendant at its services.
Though the new building is now entirely free from debt, there is still a long-standing liability of £3OO on the general funds of the parish, which it is hoped that the larger congregation now provided for will not allow longer to hamper the progress of the church. It is indeed hoped that the greater portion, if not the whole, of this may be gathered in during the ensuing octave, and to that end the whole of the offertories at the various services on Sunday and during the week will be devoted. Vicars of the parish since 1878 are: Rev. .T. A. Ncwth, M.A., 1878-1880; Rev. J. I.lovd Keating, M.A., 18801882; Rev. W. A. Leech, 1883-1884; Rev. H. E. Copinger, L.TH., 1884-1887; Rev. H. B. Harvey. 8.A., 1887-1895; Rev. 11. F. Hunt, M.A., 1895-1900; Venerable Archdeacon Harper, M.A., 1900-1910; Rev. H. G. Rosher, M.A., 1911-1915, Rev. 11. G. Blackburne (present Vicar).
Permanent link to this item
All Saints' Church., Manawatu Times, Volume XL, Issue 13536, 28 October 1916
All Saints' Church. Manawatu Times, Volume XL, Issue 13536, 28 October 1916
Using This Item
Copyright undetermined – untraced rights owner. For advice on reproduction of material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.