THE LATE MR J.E. HODSON.
The name of the late Mr James Edmund Hodson, whose death on the sth instant we recorded on Tuesday, is intimately and honorably associated - with the history of Marlborough, and fuller details of his career will be appreciated. The deceased gentleman arrived m the Colony at Nelson m the year 1858, and from that place frequently visited Marlborough m connection with his pastoral interests. It was m 1866 that he married Miss Kate Otterson, third daughter of the late Mr Francis Otterton, the original owner of the Gladstone Bun. Mr Hodson then settled m Marlborough, fixing his residence m Blenheim. In partnership with the late Mr Hugh Stafford, he leased the Fairfield Bun, and subsequently purchased Benopai, which he held for a number of years. From the time of his marriage he took a prominent part m publio matter*, and m March, 1870, was elected to the Provincial Council for the Awatere (joining Mr Eyes' party), but subsequently sitting for Blenheim. On Mr Eyes 1 retirement from the Provincial Secretaryship, Mr Hodson accepted a seat m Mr Seymour's Executive (July 1873) and remained a member of the Provincial Government until its abolition. At the end of March 1875, when the Superintendent left for England, deceased was appointed Deputy Superintendent, administering the Government m Mr Seymour's absence. Mr Hodson also took an active part m municipal affairs, being a member of the fint Council of Blenheim after its constitution as a borough m 1869. He was also a member m 1875, and filled the Mayoral chair m 1876. After the abolition of the provinces, Mr Hodson became a member of the Land and Education Boards, remaining on the former body until the end of 1883 He also took an interest m the Borough Schools, being Chairman and member of the School Committee. As a Justice of the Peace, his valuable services were always available when required. The deceased gentleman was mainly in* strumental with Dr Oleghorn m establishing the Wairau Hospital. In politics Mr Hodson was a Conservative. He took a very great interest m Church matters, being superintend dant of the Church of England Sunday School for many years, while Mrs Hodson took the management of the girls' Bunday School. He represented Blenheim for a long period m the synods ; and took an active part m the building of the Weld Street parsonage. To his prudence ana good judgment as chairman it
wa» mainly owing that the Church Building Oommittte were enabled to hand the nave of the present Churoh of th» Nativity over to the Vestry seated and free of debt. On Mr and Mrs Eodson removing to their new home— Thurston— they devoted their energies to the eiUblishment of th§ Manse Road Church room and Sun* day School, which has proved very iucoeasful. As a Mason Mr Hodaon wae a past master of many years standing, * having been the only master of the Lodge Reunion, which, on accomplishing the object for which it was constituted, resigned its charter to the Grand Lodge of England. Booialiy, the deceased gentleman held a leading position until his health failed. In his turn he was President of the •Marlborough Club." Latterly he did good work as Seoretary of the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board. Personally he was highly esteemed for his upright and kindly character and genial disposition. The funeral took place on Wednesday morning and was numerously attended. The Rev. Mr Sedgmok officiated at the church and grave.
Permanent link to this item
THE LATE MR J.E. HODSON., Marlborough Express, Volume XXXIII, Issue 286, 9 December 1898
THE LATE MR J.E. HODSON. Marlborough Express, Volume XXXIII, Issue 286, 9 December 1898
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.