The following evidence was given before the English Liquor Commission by the Rev. O. Mordant, rector of Hampton Lucy, in Warwickshire : — He had been for twenty years proprietor of the village public-house at Hampton Lucy. It had belonged to the late rector, who left it to the parish ; the witness was the sole trustee. When it came into his hands the question arose what should be done with it, anil he resolved to carry it on himself. It was the only one in the village, and he hnd an understanding with the squire that no other should be started. He 'had now carried it on for twenty-two- years with great success. Drunkenness had been reduced to a minimum ; they very rarely had a case, and then not connected with the public-house. He sold no spirits and had given .up the spirit license. People who wanted spirits bought them'by the bottle from the grocer, whose carts delivered in the village, but having to pay 3s to 4s they were less ready to drink spirits than when they could send out, for two or three pennyworth. In case of illness, he provided the villagers with spirits from his own house. The abolition of the spirit' license was n, very unpopular measure at first, but there was no grumbling now. There had been no attempt to renew the practice of home-brewing. The profits of the,publichouse, which were about £30 per annum, all went back to the parish in some shape or other. He kept the regular hours and opened on Sunday. There were now eight or nine public-houses in the country conducted on the same system by Lord Windsor, Lord Wantage, Mr Willett, and other landowners, but an extension of the system was impossible where brewers practically possessed the houses.
Permanent link to this item
A PARSON-PUBLICAN., Mataura Ensign, Issue 476, 25 August 1898
A PARSON-PUBLICAN. Mataura Ensign, Issue 476, 25 August 1898
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.