SOCIAL AND DOMESTIC.
(Summarisedfrom the Lyttelton Timet.) A landing jetty has been commenced at Pigeon Bay. A Mutual Improvement Association has been formed at St. Albans. A building for the purposes of the society is about to be erected. Hew potatoes have been dug in Governor's Bay, and strawberries are nearly ripe in this sheltered locality. At a parish meeting held at Kaiapoi, Mr E. Eevell and Mr J. Wylde were elected churchwardens, and Messrs Dudley, H. Feldwick, Mathews, and Eewlings vestrymen. TheOtago Government has resolved to bridge the Waitaki at its own cost, the sum of £25,000 having been placed on the estimates for that purpose. On May 24, the Tonio Sol-fa Class gave an entertainment at the Town Sail, in support of the Benevolent Aid Society. The affair was a success. The attendance was numerous and a large sum was ■ A child named Bertha Shaw, aged eighteen months, accidentally fell into a well near the house of her father, James Shaw, Bangiora Bush. When taken out, life was totally extinct. The number of persons that have passed Bealey and Bangiriri, and the numberof stock driven past those places from April 20 to May 22, on their way to the West Coast, is:—Males, 46; female, 1; horses, 30; cattle, 817; sheep, 4362. From the West Coast:—Males, 32 j female, 1 j horses, 33. St Luke's bazaar was brought to a close on Thursday week, After the kdy stallkeepers had dono their utmost to convert the visitors into buyers, a large quantity of goods remained, which were sold at auction. It is calculated that the net proceeds will be about £230. A very ingenious specimen of wood carving has latoly been put up as the sign of the White Hart Hotel. It consists ot the figure of a hart, nearly life site, carved out of Baltic pine. It is very spiritedly executed by Mr Lowroy, of Christchurch, and is placed on a bracket at the summit of tho building. The lads omployed in the Telegraph Office as messengers have mado their appearance m a smart uniform, consisting of a dark blue tunic, faced with red, and wear caps to match. The uniform is copied from that worn by the boys employed in the telegraphic service in Melbourno. Some of the places Appointed by the City Council as stands for the licensed carriers and drivers of hackney carriages in the oity have been mavked out with korbing, in order to prevent tho encroachments hitherto carried on. The stands have been metalled so as to prevent the damage dono to the road by the horses whilst standing at them. . . , The contractors for filling up the unclaimed ground on Norwich Quay, lyttclton, are pushing forward their work with energv, For several days thoy have carted, from tho Municipal Reserves, about 1000 loads of clay per day. The communication from the bottom of Canterbury street was mado with the roadway, on the opposite side, adjoining tho sea-wall. Tbo Kaiapoi steam flour mill is now rapidly approaching completion, and will no doubt be in working order within tho present month. The
carpenters* work ia almost finished, and a great portion of the motivo powor, including engine and boiler, has armed. Mr Woodford, the proprietor, has been his own architect and builder, and the enorgy with which ho lias pushed forward the work is a great credit to him. A fire hroko out in tho forcing-house attached to Woodbum Nursory. The fire, which was discovered about 11 p.m., appears to have originated from the covering upon the furnaco leading to the Hue 1)T which tho liouso is warmed becoming ignitod. Tho fire was soon extinguished, but not bofore some valuable plants were iujurod, • It is understood that tho Bishop of New Zealand, accompanied by Mi's Solwyn and their youngest _ son, leavo for England by the July steamer via Panama. His lordship has been iuvitod to England by tho Archbishop of Canterbury to attend tho Anglican conference to be held at la' beth Palaco in September. Tho Volunteers of Canterbury aro invited; through tho Volunteer General Committee, to to a very worthy and deserving object —the relief of the widow and family of a Volunteer in England who was accidentally shot whilst in tho discharge of his duty. \Yo trust to hear that a goodly sum has been collected. Tho individual subscription is limited to ono shilling. Preparations are being made for tho delivery of along courso of lectures and readings at tho Town Hall, on the coming winter evenings. The idea, wo Miovo, is duo to Mr St. Quontin, who is also taking the steps necessary to carry it into effect. Several of the lectures will be delivered by gentlemen well-known to tho public, and will bo illustrated by dingrams. The charge for admission will he twooence.
His Honor ilie Superintendent, together with Messrs Stewart and Williams, inspected tho works of tho Great Southern Kuilway, on Hay 28, accompanied by Mr Major, the engineer of the works, and tho contractors. Tho parly left Christchurch at 11 a.m., and proceeded by engine through "to the Sehvyn.; j After inspecting tho bridges now iii progress over that river, and several other parts of the work, they returned to town at 2 p.m., having made tho return journey in three-quarters of an hour. It is probable that Canterbury will labour under tho disadvantage of being short-represented at tho coming session of tho General Assembly as we understand that Air L. Walker lias committed tho mistake of addressing his resignation to his constituents only, neglecting formally to announce tho fact to tho Speaker of the House of Representatives. That functionary is therefore presumed to be ignorant of the fact that the seat is vacant, and, as a matter of course will not issue a writ for a fresh election.
Early on Friday morning, tho 31st ult,, the body of Nicholas Gourtnier was found on tho Pigeon Bay road, near tho Traveller's Eest, at the Head of the Bay, Akaroa, The deceased had spent the previous evening at the Traveller's Rest, and had started lato to go to his houso on the Pigeon Bay road; but, unfortunately, either from drink or exhaustion, was unable to reach there, and so miser* ally perished. When found, the body was scarcely cold. Gourtnier was one of tho early French settlers who camo out under the Nanto* Bordelaiso Company. . A man named Alexander Jarden has been drowned in tho Waimakariri. The spot where the body was found is from two to throo chains below White's bridge, and a mile from the place where deceased is supposed to havo fallen in. From tho evidence given at the inquest, it appeared that the deceased was returning from Kaiapoi to Christchurch with his horses and cart on the evening of Thursday, the 30th ult., and that when he was a short distance from I'clton's Ferry, tho horses swerved towards the bank of the river, and that deceased foil out of the cart, and rolled into the stream. Marks of wheels were found at this spot close to tho river bank. Tho jury returned tho verdict "That deceased was accidentally drowned."
Some additions are in the course of being mado to tho Hospital. An inquest-room, 20 feet by 11; an operating and consulting room, 11 ft. 6 in. by 15 ft. 6 in. have been built. Theso rooms are on the ground floor and are built of timber, raised upon a stone foundation, Upstairs, a large ward for tho accommodation of male patients has been erected. This room is 24 ft. by 21, lined throughout with match-board, tongued and grooved. This room is fitted up with overy requirement, and is well ventilated. In front of the building a large roomy veranda has been placed. Tho additions to the new building communicate by means of an ingenious arrangement with the old structure.
At Papanui tho annual parish meetingwas held in St. Paul's School, tho Rev L. Mooro in the chair. The parish accounts were brought forward and read by the Churchwardens, and passed; they shewed a balance in hand of £2B. Mr G, Mayo was nominated by the Rev Chairman as his churchwarden; Mr H. Malson was elected by tho parish. Messrs lane, Rhodes, T. Pavitt, Winter, Drury, Stanley, Tomlinson, and Abbott, were appointed vsstiymen, A vote of thanks was unani mouslv passed to Mrs Lillie for her very handsome donation pleading desk, lectern, and carpet for the chancel. " A* vote of thanks was also
accorded to the parieh officers, for their past services. It was decided that the surplus moneys arising from sittings should be set apart to form a fund for the building of a parsonage. Saturday, May 11, was the day appointed for the quarterly review of the Northern Volunteers, In spite of tho stotmy weather, early in the afternoon, Woodcnd was aroused with the sound of the Leithfield and Saltwater Creek volunteer
band, and also the Eangiora band, under band* master Morton, Both companies, together with that of Woodend, were represented to the number of about 70, and had it not been for the inclemency of the weather, the numbers would have been greatly augmented. They met at the usual ground, at the back of the Woodend Hotel, when the men were put through a variety of manceuvres, which were executed with marked precision by Captain Fuller, instead ot the On. manding Officer, who was to hare been present from Christchurch. A monumental tablet in memory of the late Br Lillio and his son, has just been put up in St, Andrew's Church, Chriatchuroh. The tablet is of white Carrara marble, and has been very skilfully exeouted by Mr Sheriff, from a working drawing by Mr 6. C. Farr. It bears the following inscription:—" Sacred to the memory of the Bev John Lillie, D.D., late of Kelso, Koxburghshire, Scotland, who died Jan. 15, 1866, aged fifty-nine years; also, of James Charles iVancis, eldest son of the above, who was accidentally drowned June, 1862, aged 17 years," Wo believe that this tablet is the first which has been erected in the provinte. It is placed on the right of the pulpit, in the naive of the church. An application—the first in this provinoe—has been made at the Waste Lands Board, to the Chief Commissioner of Crown Lands for a licence under the Protection of Oyster Fisheries Act of 1866, No. 87. Permission was sought, under Clause 3, "to plant an artißcial oyster bed on the shore 1 adjacent to the Crown lands bordering on Church Bay on the southern side of Lyttelton harbour." The boundaries set out in the application would have included an area of no less than 70 acres—in fact, the whole of Church Bay. The Chief Commissioner, very properly we think, declined to grant a permission monopolising so large a portion of the harbour, but undertook to recoramond a concession over some fire acres at the bay named. The Christchurch foot-ball club have appointed the following officers for the ensuing year i—President, Mr B. J. 3. Harman j secretary and trea surer Mr Mainwaring j committee, Messrs A. F. N, Blakiston, F. M. Ollivier, and A. J. Cotterill. The first match of the season—between the Christchurch Club and the College, was played on May 18, and resulted in a very pretty game. As a matter of course, the College was quite overmatched in weight of metal, but they made up for their deficiency by eitra pluck and activity. The game was kept up for about an hour and a half before a goal was won by the club. A scratchmatch, among the members of the Lvltelton Club, was played the same day to inaugura'e the season, in Eboaes Bay. Eaoh side won a goal, the match being thus a drawn one. At a meeting of the committee of the Orphan Asylum, the following report for tho past quarter was read. Tho total amount of expenditure inourred during the past quarter is £366 6s 3d. Of this sum £57 16s 7d, has been placed fo the permanent and extraordinary expenses account, leaving a balance ot £296 9s tid as the cost of maintaining, olothing, and educating twenty-two girls and twenty-four boys. A dotailed list of expenditure is attached to this report. The average cost per week of each ebild'a maintenance has been lis 6Jd, At different times within the past threo months two childron—a boy and a girlhave been placed out in service and eight have been admitted. At the present time the number in the Asylum is 36, in the proportions of 17 girls and 10 boys, of which 26 aro supported by the Government, and 10 by private individuals. A meeting of the Church Properly Trustees was held on May 7. The list of tho newly appointed trustee was read, and tho appointments confirmed, There were no returns of trustees from Papanui or from Governor's Bay sent in, The minutes of last meeting were read and confirmed. The Right Eev. Chairmen stated that the next business before the meeting was the election of the oommitteo of management, the same to consist of four clergymen and four laymen. The following were olected:-Clergy: Tho Very Rov. the Dean of Christchurch, the Kov. J. Wilson, W. W. Willoclc, and /. C. Bngshaw. laity s Messrs March, Harmon, Donald, and Pucko. Some accounts relative to the Trust woro laid upon the table by the Kev. W, W. Willock tho secretary. Mr Haniner read the draft of a petition to bo presented to the Provincial Council, with reforence to tho introduction of the bill for remodelling the Church Property Trust. It
WH3 decided that the Lord Bishop of tho Diocese and the members of the committee of management should bo requested to sign the petition on behalf of tbo trustees. At 8.30 a.m. on Friday, the 24th of May, communication was established between thotwodrives in tho tunnel of the lyttelton and Christchurch. railway by the minors on the port siilo breaking into a drill liolo sunk some days previously in the face of the lleathcoto drive. After a few minutes spent in enlarging tho opening, an iron rod was passed through from drive to drive, the distance betweon the two faces being fourteen feet. Tho Alignment and the luvcls arc thus proved to bavo been perfectly correct. A very excellent wbaleboat. has been launched from the shed of Mr Jenkins, huilt to order for. Mr Stamford, for the purpose of errrying paiso'ngors and luggage from ships and steamers frequenting our port. She reflecia, great credit oa 0 huilder, and judging fronViii: casual survey, ' appears well suited tor her woi-fc; every possible improvement, gathered from a'livsgopxperieneom working passenger boats iu this ha%ur, has bccQ applied. Iter dimensions are as follow? over all, 30 feet; breadth of beairi, ! o''4oiffftfciieJ; She is named tho Florence Nightingale, gratifying that mcli a Batijfaetovy'>6aSS()Vo£.' . industry should have been turned out'of;.4low l establishment, thus rendering LyltelWri''ihdS'-''' pendent of any extraneous manufacture. " ;V '\ Several good pigeon matches have recently been held at the Plough Inn, Kiecarton. On May 5, a match took place between Colonel White, Major Packo, lieutenant Swiuloy aud Mr Cator, for a sweepstakes of £l, throe i,i r j 3 b c [ n _ allowed each. The match was won by Mr Cator. Tho birds, which were for the most part vny R ood ones, wcro supplied by Mr Sloe. A handicap of £2los, five birds each, was contested by Colonel White, Major I'ackc, Lieutenant Swinly, and Messrs Cator and W. S. Walker. Major Packo was the winner. Another handicap i'or £2 2s live birds each, took place between Colonel White', Major Packe, Messrs W. D. Campbell, (Vie', Walker, and Cator; Col. White being tho winner'. A great increase has recently taken place in the number of small birds in the vicinity of tho city. Now I hat plantations are so rapidly springing up in Chvi'tchurcli and tlie neigltbourhood, quanfities of tho New Zealand fantail have been observed. As these birds are insectivorous, great caro should bo taken to prevent their destruction. At the last meeting of the Acclimatization Society, it was stated that the caterpillarsand flugsaro increasing to a great extent, and that it was becoming au imperative necessity upon tho farmers and gardeners to extirpate them. We learn that many of the small birds have been wilfully destroyed, and that in Hoonllay, where they greatly abound, many idle boys make it their object wantonly to kill them. The Town Hall was crowded on May 15, on the occas : on of the last exhibition of tho Bohemian Glass Blowers. The usual artistic skill was displayed in the manufacture of the various articles by Mr and Mrs Woodroll'e and Mr;Paytun. Ono of tho prettiest specimens was a necklace of glass, copied from one supposed to bo of Egyptian manufacture, preserved in tho Museum at Naples. A drawing of the necklnco was givou to Mr Woodrolfe by a gentleman who casually saw it in tho museum, and from this sketch Mr Woodroffe succeeded in producing his replica. The effect is very excellent, and the transparency of Iho material gives it an appearance of graceful lightness and eleganco. Alter the explanation of the mechanism of the stcatn-ciigiiies, Mr Woodroft'e took the larger one to pieces in the presence of the audience, and it was surprising with what case and celerity the operation was perforuiod. Eeturns are published in the Gazette of May 30, which shew that the total imports for the last quarter of 18G6, amounted to £1,070,814 against £1,299,771 in the corresponding quarter of 1880, or an incrcaso of nearly £400,000. The total imports in 1866 wero £5,891,863 against £5,691,977 in 1565, being an incrcaso of £3(JU,OGO. Tho c.-ports for tho quarter bavo fallen ollj there being only £785,140 in tho December quarter of 1860 and £1,038,729, in the corresponding quarter of 1865; but on tho whole year there has been an increase from £3,713,218 to £1,520,074 or £800,856. The total numt#' of vessels that wero entered inwards from foreign ports during the quarter were 9311, having a tonnage of 102,232 tans. Tho number ot' vessels cleared outwards wero 267 in the last quarter of 1866 and 210 in that of 18G5, and tho totals for the years were 956 in 1866, and 783 in 1865. A re'turn of the Customs revenue, for the March quarter of this year, is also published, which shows the amount collected to be £220,053 against £209,010 in tho same quarter of 1860. On May 27, Wiremu Harihona Karowhoko, Chief of the Maori Kainga, Onuku, Akaroa (better known in and about Alcaroa, by the euphonious appellation of " Big William") invited his friends, both nativo and European to tho Kainga, to celebrato tho anniversary of his son's birth. A considerable number of natives from Wairewa and Opukataki, and also of residents from Akaroa, and the farms adjoining Onuku, responded to tho invitation. After doing justice to an excellent supper, served in European stylo tho whare was cleared, and " Haka" Maori, and "Kanikani" Pakeha was the order of the evening. The festivities wero kept up well into tho small hours, the Maori belles being initiated by their European partners into the raysterios of the orthodox polka, but wo did not hear of any of the pakeha guests trying their powers at the facial distorting, body dislocating, and wristwringing Maori "haka." A concertina played by one of the guests formed the European orchestra. It is needless to say to thoso who know what a Haka Maori is, that tho natives manufactured their own music. On May 4, the members of tho Canterbury Freehold Society met in the old Town Hall to ballot for allotments of 500 acres of land about to be purchased by tho society. Mr Cutler occupied the chair, and Messrs Hawlcy and Stono were appointed scrutineers. There were 100 shares represented in the box, and the following are the names of the prize-drawers, and the number of shares owned by each:—George Cresswoll 2, Wm. Pratt 6, Wm. Austin 3, John Flavell 4, Samuel Ashbolt 1, Wm. Cuddon 6, J. G. Roach 10, Alexander Christie 10, Melville Dixon 4, Wm. Savage o, John Cutler 6, G. J. Lawrence 6, Allan Pearce 5, J. Carder 6, C. E. Pratt 6, Edward Barrett 5, Charles Eodgo 6, Mrs Elliott 10, E. Hiorns 5. Tho chairman vemarked thai it; was not necessary that all tho land balloted for should bo purchased in largo blocks. By a recent alteration in the rules of tho society, the ballot for allotments was to take place before the purchase of the land, in order that any shareholder who had become entitled to* allotments on four shares, which are equal to twenty acres, might, if be desired it, select a government section for himself, which the society would purchase for him; and if he had fewer than four shares, and was willing to purchase as much land in addition to them as would make the quantity up to twenty acres, he would in that case also, be entitled to make his own selection of a plot. Several additions have been made to the animals and birds already in the possession of the Acclimatization Society. Foremost amongst these in point of attraction, appears to be tho Tasraanian Devil. It is a small animal, apparently bolonging to the sloth genus, of a dark brown celour, with bright intelligent eyes, and furnished with formidable teeth and claws. It is very wild and' savage, so much so as to be unapproachablo even, by the keeper. ■ In size it is about three feet long, and perhaps one and a-half feet in height. It manifests its displeasure at tho intrusion of strangers by keeping up a continuous spiteful snarling noise wmn approached. The animal is a very young female specimen of its kind, at d is carniverous. It has succeeded in destroying more than one cage, and is now secured in one fenced in with iron bars. Three native cats have also been added to tho collection, which more resemble tho badger tribe than any other animal, being smaller :n size than tho ordinary domestic cat, and their skinß being very different in texture. Their snouts are of acurious pink colour, and their ejes are singularly bright. Bome kangaroos and a wallaby havo also been obtained. A pretty pair of oppossums have been obtained; there were originally three, but one managed to make its escapo. A young native Tasmanian bear attracts considerable attention, ' and being very tame, readily allows any one to handle it. Tho anniversary of the birth of our beloved Queen was commemorated on May 21 with tho usual loyal demonstrations. The day broke ' brightly iand auspiciously, putting to flight the prognostications which had been circulated with regard to the weather which, on tho previous day, had been so stormy and gloomy, The city was gay with bunting. The Government offices were olused, and the inhabitants devoted themselves to p'easure-aeeking in different ways. Our columna coutain ai.J account of the Volunteer review and the distribution of prizes, and tho performance given by the Tonic-Sol-Fa class at tho Town Hall. But tho chief local ovont of the day was announced at a little before 7 a.m., by a' royal salvo at the Christchurch Hailway Station, that tho great work of tunnelling through tho port hills was successfully accomplished. Thus the good citizens ot Christchurch wore enabled to commemorate tbeduAlovontof tho Queen's natal day and tbo accomplishment of one of tho greatest engineering works yet contemplated in this, the most remote part, of her dominions. At night two large bonhves were kindled in the lleathcoto Valley in honour of tho twofold crents. At Lytlolton, tho day was colebrntod by the firing of n royal salute by the artillery, and a luncheon at the Queen's hotel, at which the artillery and tho engineers of Christchurch wcro present. Atluiapoi, (lie demonstrations took the form of lioat races on the river, tho •liring of a fen il<: j"ie by the volunteers, aud a public ball,
Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.
These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.
Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.
Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.
Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.
Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.
Print, save, zoom in and more.
If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.
The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.