THE CHRISTCHURCH FIRE
SOME FURTHER PARTICULARS. BY lELHGRAPH—PRESS ASSOCIATION. CHRISTCHURCH, Nov. 12. The fire, when discovered at 8.30 o'clock in the roof of His Majesty's Theatre, had a good hold, and by 11 o'clock the whole block was completely gutted. The building was erected in 1900, and over a million bricks were used in its construction. It was first used for the Jubilee Exhibition of that year. The only part to escape total destruction was the front ground floor,mainly occupied by entrance" halls and small offices. The A. and P. Association was able to remove the contents of its safe, all the records and a number of valuable cups, but nothing was saved from the committee room. The chief loss there was Jhe library, and a valuable series of framed photographs. The organ, which was used in the 190S exhibition, was presented by the Seddon: Government to the city, and it was insured for £3750. . • The main hall was leased as a theatre at the beginning of the year by Fullers for ten years, and has since been used for vaudeville entertainments. The origin of the fire is unknown, but the caretaker thinks- ft started upstairs or in the roof.
Permanent link to this item
THE CHRISTCHURCH FIRE, Hawera & Normanby Star, Volume LXXIV, Issue LXXIV, 12 November 1917
THE CHRISTCHURCH FIRE Hawera & Normanby Star, Volume LXXIV, Issue LXXIV, 12 November 1917
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.