TO THE EDITOR. Sir.-—1 was glad to se« in your in* pot t. of the proceedings of the Dunedin t'ny Council tiiat the council adopted the recommendation. of tho Hc-serves Committee in regard to tho erection of a dressing sl’icd on the Oval for tin* use of athletic, bodice frequenting tire reserve. Some years ago inn reserve referred to was planted with a number of shrubs and trees. with. the, view oi making it a pleasure resort. Some, time after these were removed, and that part, of the Bolt (the Ova!), nmtnining about lid acres. ;s mow almost completely bare, Later still si line fir Oriental sycamores was planted on tho western boundary, adjoining South Princes si reel, .-xiem-iing from tin* junction of Amhrson Bay road and Princes street ingot along to Kensington. A place more suitable for mi " Put-T der Linden " could n<>t be chosen. Tiie.-e also were removed, bosonic iiinicco-.mtalile reason. ,1 v. mild point out that this part of f’nnces street, on. acc-miil ot the reserve referred P) and tho Market. Reservo from- a garden), has been rpoiit; for business, and from its position and breadth could easily be made n. place of b-aniy by the line of trees referred io above being replanted with Oriental and variegated sycamores alternately. The same could be done on t ;te west, side of tin* sneer opposite, amt tr.us a beautiful avcum- conic. be mad - ai: little, expense. p would at the same time make tin* reserve oi seme treo to the public.--1 am. ere.. Am UNITY. January '-’d.
Permanent link to this item
THE OVAL., Evening Star, Issue 15708, 23 January 1915