MOSGIEL BOROUGH COUNCIL
The monthly meeting held last evening .vas attended* by the Mayor (Mr A. F. Quelch) and Crs M'Lcod, Brown, Seaton, Muirhead, Aitken. —Correspondence.— J. L. Stewart Wright notified that the Dunedik Expansion League would in future Ve known as "Otago" Expansion League, and notified tho inteution of the league to send delegates to hold public meetings with a view to arousing interest in tho matter where branches were likely to be formed.—Referred to General Committee.
Th director of King Edward College solicited a contribution towards the building fund. Last year the council had voted £2s.—Referred to Finance Committee for report. In speaking *o tho motion, the Mayor remarked that this institution was doing excellent work, and tho building was not only a. credit to the City, but to tho Dominion.
The secretary of the Wellington fund for relief of pod- in Great Britain and Belgium forwarded a circular and lists suggesting a shilling contribution towards a Belgian Christmas gift. —Received. John Souter, Mosgiel, again wrote to tho council ro remitting portion of his rates on an unoccupied portion of his buildings. —Received.
The Public Works Department. Wellington, notified that £SO had been included in tho Supplementary Estimates for a bridge over the Owhiro in Gordon road.— Necessary information to be forwarded to the department. The Finance Committee reported receipts since last report —£231 Is 4d; wages paid during the month, £37 0s lCd.—Report adopted. The Sanitary Inspector complained of two nuisances within tho borough.—Clerk authorised to take action if nuisances not abated.
The Ranger reported that ho had impounded 12 horses and six cows. A horeo sold in the Outram pound on the 20th, had realised £3 2s 6d.—Adopted. The Works Committee reported that during the month 48 yards of metal had been received and used for tilling holes and depressions in several streets. Eighteen yards of gravel had been received into the yard for making asphalt, and 15 yards prepared. Cleaning water tables and ordinary surface work had been attended to. The contractor for the Owhiro bridge was making satisfactory progress. The sewerago and water services had been inspected and found in pood order. The committee recommended that authority be uiven to make arrangements with the Tafcri County Council for a supply of about 500 yards of metal from their quarry for next season's requirements.—Report adopted. The Mayor referred to the many services Mr E. H. Clrak, M.P., had rendered to the town while he represented Chalmers, and he. thought it only right tho council fchould acknowledge his kindness.—lt was accordingly resolved—" That tho Town Clerk writ* to Mr E. IT. Clark conveying to him the thanks of the council for his kindness and assistance to tho borough during his term of office- as member for the district."
Permanent link to this item
MOSGIEL BOROUGH COUNCIL, Evening Star, Issue 15670, 8 December 1914
MOSGIEL BOROUGH COUNCIL Evening Star, Issue 15670, 8 December 1914
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.