Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


The building in which the Presbyterians of .Anderson Bay have worshipped for 51 years is now dwarfed by the new church, to be opened on Sunday first. It stands in a nobio position, at the junction of five roads, overlooking White Island in eno direction and the greenest of green valleys in the other. A more romantic situation could not be wished for. A further advantage is that the congregation will not need to shift; the now churth is only a few steps from the old one. Air E. IV. Walden drew the plans, and the contractor was Air J. E. White, who is now putting on the finishing touches. Everybody concerned seems to be pleased with the look of the new building, and passers-by admire it. The burning bush over the doorway declares the denomination, and the general appearance of the front is in agreement with the .symbol, the design being characterised by a” suggestion of sturdiness and resoluteness which fits in with one’s ideas about Presbyterianism. The square louvrecl tower strengthens the plan, and the architectural details nicely break up the design and save it from anything in the way of uncompromising utility. It is, in fact, a beautiful church as viewed from the exterior. Inside, also, everything satisfies the eye. The walla are of white granite, plaster, the ceiling and the fittings of oiled red pine. Plenty of light is admitted, and special pains have been taken to perfect the ventilation and the healing arrangements. The choir singers arc stationed on an angle at the minister’s left. The organ is at the, rear of the pulpit, fome day a gallery may be added. When that is done there will he access from the. tower, and, by the way, this tower is built to carry bolls as soon aa somebody has the money to spare. Meanwhile tlie seating capacity is about 430, marly double the seating capacity of the i!d efinieh. Electric lighting lias been installed. The two memorial windows of th«' <>],j church, one in remembrance of .Mrs .Matthew Holmes, the other of Air Win. .Somerville, have been sot up anew. -Ample accommodation is provided in the way of vestry and class rooms, and there is a spacious hall in the basement. The new church is an ornament to the neighborhood. and it should in many ways serve the wants of the district. The Sunday si ir-ol is to be continued in the buildin,., round the corner and in the old church. The Rev. A. Cameron, who has been minister of this church for 30 years, will, we hope. Jive long to enjoy his work under such favorable surroundings. It may be mentioned, by the way. that Air Henry Duckworth, one of the ciders, was pre.-ent at the opening of the old church.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

NEW CHURCH AT THE BAY, Evening Star, Issue 15666, 3 December 1914

Word Count

NEW CHURCH AT THE BAY Evening Star, Issue 15666, 3 December 1914