TAIERI COUNTY COUNCIL
The following conclude.-. our report of yesterday's meeting : Tiic Lands Department wrote stating that it was agreeable to a road being laid oil to connect .Matarae and the Sutton radwav station, provided that the council would undertake to shift Mr Huberts s boundary fence.—The engineer was instructed to interview Mr Roberts, and ascertain the price ho asked for the land required for the road through his freehold property. Aslin and Bedford wrote on behalf _ of Mr James M'Bryde, of Outran), asking that his property, which he intended to subdivide, lie exempted from the provisions of section 117 of the Public Works Act. They asked that the necessary resolution be passed.—Request granted. Sidey and Collier applied for permission, on behalf of 0. 11. Blackwood, to lay a pipe across road adjoining bis paddock, known as ’’ The Boundhill Paddock.” — Referred to engineer. The Otago Motor Club wrote complaining of the number of unlighted cycles and motor cycles, also stray horses, to be found on the country roads at night.—On this matter the ranger reported that he had given the matter particular attention during the past month, both in the early mornings and in the evenings. On the whole length of tlie Main South road he had only found 12 cattle and one horse at night, and on the Mosgicl to Outrain and Berwick roads he had only found six cattle and 5 horses. He had only come across one car without lights.—Clerk to reply. The Otago Expansion League asked tho council to nominate a representative to join in a deputation to the companies concerned to inquire further into the cessation of the Melbonrnc-Blntf-Duncdin service, and requesting its reinstatement.— Left in hands of chairman .and clerk to reply. The Public Works department forwarded list of unauthorised balances of votes tor works, the expenditure of which it was proposed to entrust to the council. Ihe Minister was prepared to authorise expenditure of any grants which required immediate attention, and the council was invited to submit to the department’s engineer plans, etc., for this expenditure of grants for such works. Tho Sanitary Inspector reported the slaughter-houses in the comity in good order. lie had had occasion to call the attention of two owners to slaughter-house drains.—Received. The Ranger reported having impounded 20 horses and 97 cattle during the month. One cow impounded in Outram pound.— Received. A deputation of residents from Shannon waited on the council to urge that a telephone service should be provided for their district.—lt was decided that the council should do what it could in tho matter. Tho dog tax was fixed at same fee as last year. It was resolved to notify the Telegraph Department that the council intended to widen Gladstone road in the near future at a place where they had erected poles in an undesirable position. The Finance Committee wore instructed to consider the question of obtaining a portion of auctioneers’ license foes, and also to make inquiries re certain revisions to the impounding foes. The chairman. Crs Blackie, Doherty, and Blair were appointed a Finance Committee, and tho chairman, Crs Blackie, Doherty, Blair, and Gow an Electrical Committee.
Permanent link to this item
TAIERI COUNTY COUNCIL, Evening Star, Issue 15662, 28 November 1914
TAIERI COUNTY COUNCIL Evening Star, Issue 15662, 28 November 1914
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.