COLUMBA GIRLS' COLLEGE
PRESBYTERIAN GENERAL ASSEMBLY'S VISIT. Readers .jf the ' Star' arc- doubtless familiar with the movement which has been in progress during the past year for the formation of a Presbyterian Girls' College in Dunedin. The negotiations and preparations are happily new so far advanced that invitations were issued to a largo annuber of friends and supporters of the movement to meet the Right Reverend the Moderator of the- General Assembly to view the building. Tho sanction of the authorities was obtained to transfer the jrirla' college from Braemai- Hcuse to Bishopscourt, such transference having been effected in September, and at th« end of the present year it will formally become the jrroperty of tho Presbyterian Church, aind will bo* opened in Februury under tho prir.cipalship of Miss Frances J. Rcw, M.A., who was for many years principal of Girton College. To-day the Misses Miller (of Braemar Hcuse School) received the Moderator (the Rev. Alexander Grant, of Dannevirkc) and tho members of the Assembly and friends, a large number being present. The building was erected for the Most Rev. the Primate, and was for many years his residence. It- is ono of tho noblest buildings in the Dominion, and is built of Milestone in so sul/slantial a manner' that when the architect, in the course of alterations, desired door to be inserted in an internal wall, tiie wall was found to be 3i"l 2in thick—.solid Milestone. The building is two stories rnd u-hulf in height, and th« rooms and dormitories are very large ; there is accommodation for from 40 to 50 boarders. On the grounds a large gymnasium has been erected, but at present it 36 divided into temporary rlafsrooms in anticipation of a large influx of pupils. The choice trees and shrubs in the ground are well grown. There is excellent shelter from the prevailing winds, and the giounds are exposed to the sun. Tile college is controlled by a Board of Governors incorporated under the Friendly Societies Act, the governors holding office for a term of three years, but at any time vacancies may be filled on the board by the Presbytery of Dunedin.
The report" of the present Board of Governors will be presented to the General Assembly on Monday, immediately following the presentation of the reports of Knox College and lona College. It has been arranged that after the presentation of the report Miss Ross (principal) will bo received by the Assembly, and she will deliver an address.
The. college is ideally situated, and it has been arranged that "day" girls will be conveyed to the door by tram for Id, provided they are wearing the college badge. It was founded by the Presbytery of Dunedin to give expression to their conviction that no education can be complete which fails to provide for the young a moral and spiritual training in the light of revealed religion and of the Holy Scriptures. The college will give girls a broad preparation for life, their intellectual, aesthetic, and domestic culture being based upon religious instruction in the atmosphere of the Church. The benefits of the college, however, will not be confined to Presbyterians. Girls of all denominations will be welcomed and allowed full opportunity of attending their own churches.
Permanent link to this item
COLUMBA GIRLS' COLLEGE, Evening Star, Issue 15656, 21 November 1914
COLUMBA GIRLS' COLLEGE Evening Star, Issue 15656, 21 November 1914
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.