OTAGO HARBOR BOARD
ENGINEER’S REPORT. The following aro the principal clauses of the engineers report, which will be presented at the meeting of the Harbor Board on Friday evening ; Dredging.—During September dredge 222 dredged 50,813 cubic yards of material flora the following places; —Bowen pier, Fort Chalmers, 13,328 cubic yards; George street pier. Port Chalmers, 24,990 cubicyards; Otago dock, 7,497 cubic yards; Birch street wharf, 3,332 cubic yards; Victoria channel, 835 cubic yards; channel piles 15-16, 833 cubic yards. Of this spoil 6,664 cubic yards were deposited at the Vulcan, and the remainder, 44,149 cubic yards, at the Kaik. The time occupied in dredging amounted to 229 hours, and the coal consumption to 257 tons Bcwt. During September the Vulcan deposited 6,664 cubic yards of spoil on tho Lake Logan reclamation area. Tho latter end of the month was occupied in shifting the dredge to tho Boat harbor, where dredging operations have been commenced. Port Chalmers Docks. —During the month of September tho_ docks were occupied for a period of 334| hours, three vessels being docked in tho Otago dock, and three in the Fort Chalmers dock. The Otago dock was pumped out once during tho month for caisson inspection. The electric plant ran for a total of 81£ hours —IIJ, hours supplying power for the electric crane, and 70 hours for dockyard lighting. The ordinary repairs to tire machinery and boilers wore effected during the month, and at present the. pumping and electric plants, shesrlegs, and electric crane aro in good working order and repair. The work‘at Black Jack’s wall is progressing satisfactorily. For a period of six weeks, ended October 21, 12.733_cubKyards of stone was placed on tho lino of wall, making a total of 121,869 cubic yards to that date. The extension of the wul! during tlie six weeks amounted to 4241t, making a total of 4,708 it of wall iu position. During the six weeks 3,688 square feet of pitching has been executed, making a total of 14,5'jS square feet.
Good progress has been made with the reclamation dock endowment. Tor a period of five weeks, ended October 14, 2,710 cubic yards of material was placed, on the above area, making a total of 29,443 cubic yards. Tiny Cemetery road has been opened to traffic, and the excavation in connection with tho levelling of Macandrew road has been completed. Formation of tho road and footpath, and the pitching of the wall with rtono from Black Jack's quarry are now being pro cee b'd with. Luring the six weeks ended October 21, 110 timber stay piles have been driver, on the south side of the Leith canal. At tho request of the Public Works Department five timber piles were driven at the end of the. Quarantine Island jetty, to act as supports for a boat landing. The timber-sheet piles at the Birch street wharf broken by tlie Flora have been nnewed. Repairs to the Rattray .street necessary by the damage caused by the And no, arc also in progress. The usual repairs have been effected to the wharves, sheds, and floating plant.
Permanent link to this item
OTAGO HARBOR BOARD, Evening Star, Issue 15636, 29 October 1914
OTAGO HARBOR BOARD Evening Star, Issue 15636, 29 October 1914
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.