ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL
NEW BUILDING AT GORE. [From Otjr Own Correspondent.] Roman Catholics of Gore and district have much reason to congratulate themselves cm the foresight of their church officers in securing one of th* very best and most central sites in. the town whereon to erect the massive cathedral which has just been completed, and which is to be officially blessed and opened to-morrow by the Bishop of Dunedin, the Bight Rev. Dr Ycrdon. We are indebted to Mr Thomas J. Holland, who has for some time past acted as secretary to the- Building Committee, fertile following particulars;—ln November of 1907 Father O'Donnell, acting on behalf ot the Catholics of Gore, purchased the site on which tho massive and imposing brick and concrete church now stands. In December of the same year the convent school, which had previously been at East Gore, was removed to this site. There was already a handsome seven-roomed brick dwelling, which has now become admirably adapted to the purposes of a convent, and as such is used by tho Sisters of Mercy. In May, 1912, a committee of six members of the church, with Father O’Donnell as chairman, was elected for the purpose of making preliminary arrangements concerning the erection of a new church on this sit© in lieu of the old church at East Gore, which has long outlived its usefulness. This committee, who were known as tho Building Committee, took immediate steps to obtain plans, and Mr Jr\ W. ot X>u»edixi, was ap~ pointed architect. In February, 1815, the erection of the church was commenced, and the foundation stone was laid on Sunday, 6th April, of the same year, by the Right Rev. Dr Verden, Bishop of Duinedin, tho occasional sermons being preached hv the Very Rev. Dean Burke, of Invercargill, and the Very Rev. Father Coffee, Adm. St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Dunedin. The same month tho committee summoned a general meeting of the congregation, at which meeting it was decided to hold a carnival for tho purpose of raising additional funds towards the cost of the building. Tho bazaar and carnival was held from August 27 to September 6, 1913, and realised a net sum of £865. The building, which stands on a live-acre ffiock in Ardwick street, and faces direct down Ashton street, within two
frmn tho pest office, is n I Romanesque architecture. It is 90 by 40, mid over tho narthex is a choir gallery, with organ and loft, and seating accommodation for 54 persons; while the main building will seat 650 people. The seats are of figured red pine, and of massive design. On the northern side of the altar is the vestry, - whilst the corresponding snace on tho southern side provides a chapel for the Sisters'of Mercy. The main building is artificially lighted at night by eight 200 candle-power electric lamps, and trie remainder of the building is lighted by 14 lamps of smaller dimensions. The altar was designed, made, and presented to the church by Mr Thomas Oarmody as Ids donation towards tho building fund, and is a very creditable piece of work. Tho ceiling, which is 40ft high, is divided into 16 panels of massive steel, and the roof is of slate, the work of Mr J. James, slater, of Dunedin.
The committee (Messrs J. Hanley, J. Holland, M R. Lawler. P. Lynch, Dr MTlroy, D. L. Poppelwell) and the chairman (Father O'Donnell), together with tho foreman (Mr David Robertson, of Gore), are to be heartily congratulated on the beautiful building that now stands as a result of their labor, and there is no doubt that its capacity will be taxed to the full on Sunday next at the official opening.
Permanent link to this item
ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL, Evening Star, Issue 15632, 24 October 1914
ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL Evening Star, Issue 15632, 24 October 1914
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.